LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

E-WP HElP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 PM

Angry E-WP HElP!

i just installed my CSI water pump and i think i have a problem. When i turn the ignition on, the pump runs steady. when i start the car up, im not sure if it is running or not- the temp steadily rises pretty high within about 2 or 3 minutes. do i have the ignition and 12v+ switched? I don't think the pump should run when just the key is on. if it is supposed to, what is the purpose of people installing toggle switches when they could just turn the ignition on? thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 07:55 PM

it should be on, unless you wired it to a wierd switch 12 volt source. I ran mine off of my ign. mine turns on when i have the key in ACC mode. The switches that people run fans and water pumps. let it run and see if it over heats... maybe you just didn't top off the overfill with enough coolant?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

If you have it wired to the ign... it should run when ever the key is in the on position. You should take the time out to install a simple led to let you know that the pump is getting power... trust me it takes the guess work out. I think maybe you just have air in your system and didn't bleed it out yet... I'll tell you a trick though if that is the case. Turn your key into the on position so the pump is running, and fill the coolant though the water pump housing where the thermostat goes. The pump will move coolant through the block, and help get that air out for you. Once you have it filled to the rim... isntall the thermostate and housing back on, and then fill the rest though the radiator directly... till you see coolan comming through the return hose right below the cap. good luck.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:03 PM

isn't that the same thing as using the bleeder valves? minus removing the intake elbow?

i would take off the radiator cap, open both bleeder valves, top off the coolant, and then run the pump. add coolant as it goes down, close the bleeder valves as they start overflowing, and then top off the overfill.

add water wetter too... that dropped my coolant temps by 5-10*
Old 04-02-2007, 09:24 PM

had no idea you had to bleed the system. i used a relay and hooked the 12v straight to the battery(with fuse) and hooked the ignition to the ignition fuse in the fuse box. i will bleed the system and test it again. thanks alot!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:56 PM

Yeah bleeding the system is a serious deal with LT1. It will keep consuming coolant, just keep adding, till you get some pressure at the bleeders.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by danhr
isn't that the same thing as using the bleeder valves? minus removing the intake elbow?

i would take off the radiator cap, open both bleeder valves, top off the coolant, and then run the pump. add coolant as it goes down, close the bleeder valves as they start overflowing, and then top off the overfill.

add water wetter too... that dropped my coolant temps by 5-10*

It's about the same... it's just my technique so I know I got all the air pockets out the block. This is just a method you can use when the engines not running. Once the motors started you just bleed it by the screws after that when the system is pressurized. Just makes things a bit easier.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:12 PM

ic....

you learn something new everyday...
Old 04-03-2007, 09:10 AM

Make sure your pump is spinning the right direction. Mine was wired wrong and was spinning backwards. It will not pump water running that way. The connector just off the pump had the wires reversed. The blue and black wires did not match in the connector. In other words, when you plugged it in, the connector crossed the wires and blue was now connected to black. If that is the case, just pull the wires out of the connector and reverse them so they match.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 AM
sworaz

Had same issue with my Elec. wp would just steadily rise til it was dangerously hot. Turns out I blew the fan fuse, so the fans weren't coming on at all, and I also had to bleed the system. Turn your a/c on - the fans should come on when it's on. Or remove coolant temp sensor in the bottom of the wp and the fans should come on. Just my .02 cents, exactly what happened to mine. Good luck.