LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

easiest way to install fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 12:21 AM

easiest way to install fuel pump

What the easiest way to install a fuel pump? Say, if its a stock one? Is there a website on the install? The chiltons guide says you have to pull out the entire rear end and tank, but i head you can cut a hole in the trunk somewhere and get to it easy...any ideas?
Second, would a faulty fuel pump not putting fuel to the engine put out a check engine light?
Old 11-29-2003, 12:24 AM

Joe Spena's method without dropping the rear axle and gas tank.
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html
Old 11-29-2003, 12:31 AM

i replaced mine this way, and it works awsome. But unfortunately, i pulled my rearend out this week, so it didnt save me much, but it was still a lot easier than pulling the tank and rear. Ive done it both ways, and if your car has low millage it isnt bad. But if its seen a few winters like mine has, your control arm bolts will be coming out with a torch and hammer. But, what beter time to upgrade suspension parts, gears (cheaper when you bring just the rearend to em) and do some clean up. Just my .02, hope this helps, prorac1
Old 11-29-2003, 12:35 AM

It could possibly cause a lean condition to appear. Have you tried changing the fuel filter, it could be clogged. As far as replacing the pump, why not go with a good after market pump like a walbro? If you pump is going bad, now would be the time to upgrade.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:48 AM

I just did this 2 days ago. Pretty much followed the ideas outlined http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html here also http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html And it was pretty easy.

However...you may want to take some more troubleshooting steps though. The job is easy, but really kinda sucks too, so I would make sure its your problem. Imagine my happyness level when I finished cutting a hole in my floor and replacing my pump, only to make no difference at all. Good luck
Old 11-29-2003, 09:00 AM

I would check every thing else first Like fuel filter relays etc.. How many miles are on your car and what is it doing? Will it even start?

If you cut the whole it will be much easyer if you use a drill to make your starter whole and then use tin snips. Faster Safer Smarter I had my whole cut and pump in and out in 30 min..I have been using the granatelli motor sports pump without any problems.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:13 AM

I have done it by lifting the car very high, and dropping the rear very low. Yesterday in fact.

Everything is disconnected from the rear except brake lines. It is not terribly difficult, but I wouldn't do so much work unless I knew the pump was bad. You can get a pressure tester for 20-30 bucks.

I am also lucky because my muffler comes off the pipe from the cat pretty easy. I could see this being a real prob if it didn't.

When my pump went bad (years ago, I am doing cat-back/shocks/springs right now) it was because neighborhood troublemakers put rocks,dirt, leaves, pine needles in it and I had flush the tank also. Did I mention I recommend locking gas caps.

Let me know if you decide to drop the tank, and I'll write a quick step by step. Took me about 2.5 hours to take it out. I have no air or power tools, and the Fat Tires make me kinda slow too. I'll put the tank back in today, couple more hrs. I figure.

Sean
Old 11-30-2003, 01:36 AM

I dropped the tank when I did mine. It took me a little less than two hours including drop time/ and reinstall. I used a lift though, that made life easier. You dont have to drop the whole tank. u just have to manuever the thing down enough so you can get the assembly out (took the longest!). Which is extremely frustrating. I didnt want to cut a large whole in my car, which is why i didnt go the other route. Its up to u though. -Michael