LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Edelbrock Headers on a 1997

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 12:34 PM

Question Edelbrock Headers on a 1997

Okay I am looking at shorty headers and I like the Edelbrock short headers because I can get them for around $600 coated.

I am going with short headers because of emmisions and cost so long tubes are not an option. But what I need to know is Edelbrock number 66022 correct for a 1997 camaro? I saw some posts about Edelbrock's not fitting a 97 directly and since Edelbrock's web page does not indicate that they have headers for a 1997 I thought I would ask.

Also how much harder is it to change the plugs after installing the headers? Is there a better short header I can get for the same price or close to it?

I did a search and that is why I am posting these questions I did not know there was an issuse with the headers. From what I have read there is no direct replacement header from Edelbrock for the 1997 you have to use a modified 1995 header. Am I wrong in this observation?

Any help would be great guys.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

I have the Eddle Brock headers on my Z...and I must say...if your seriously looking for headers....and got 600 to burn....don't get the Edle brocks...save up another 100 and get the Jet hots or Hookers...I got my eddies becuase they were only 250.00 and I don't plan on keeping them in there. As a temp these are cool headers...but for hte long run...NAH! much better stuff out there...
just being truthfull....check out the MAC's thoguh allot of people like those.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:02 PM

The problem with going with the long tubes ( I assume that is what you ment) is getting the whole emission thing and getting the h-pipe made. For what I am looking for long tubes are not the greatest answer, thanks though.

Truth be told I would stick with the manifolds but they are in such bad shape and since the motor is out I am looking to replace them.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:54 PM

Did you consider the SLP dual-cat shorties? Im not sure how the plug access is, but I know they claim a 20HP increase.

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...&SHOWEMAIL=Off

Last edited by SlickBlack Z; 02-16-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:22 PM

I helped a buddy put those on his 97 Formula, its not a direct fit, needs welding. When it was all said and done 2 days later, I raced him and beet him with my stock manifolds. Went to the track and he didnt gain a thing from them. IMO, waist of money!
Old 02-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Originally posted by Workn
The problem with going with the long tubes ( I assume that is what you ment) is getting the whole emission thing and getting the h-pipe made. For what I am looking for long tubes are not the greatest answer, thanks though.

Truth be told I would stick with the manifolds but they are in such bad shape and since the motor is out I am looking to replace them.

Oh, if that's the case I seriously reccomend the MAC's...they come with all the good stuff...Y and all...and Coated they're just around 600.00..I think a bit cheaper maybe. They can pull more HP than the Eddle Brocks...and don't remember hearing about anyone having to do any extensive welding and crap to them.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:46 PM

Go with some MAC's, they allow full emissions hookup and they are great headers.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:58 PM

I agere with slp's or mac's... Being emmisons is in your concerns..

Better quality and you'll feel a difference.. Plugs are the easiest on these for shorty's as well.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:23 PM

Thanks for all the imput I am really looking into the other headers. Couple of questions where is the best place to by the MAC and I heard there is a delevry problem with them, how long. I like the SLP and I need to look into them a bit more, I might even give them a call.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:27 PM

Another possibility is just keep the stock manifolds and spend the money elsewhere. Check this post out:
http://www.ws6zxr.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28865
He made 363RWHP with stock exhaust manifolds with a mild cam (218/224), ported LT4 heads and other bolt ons.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:33 PM

Macs if you are going to spend the cash, coated to your door for $560. Dont waste it on Edelbrocks. Trust me. Plus do some looking alot of threads on te best shorty or mids with emissions.

Good luck

-Dustin-
Old 02-16-2004, 03:36 PM

Where can I get them for that price? I am not sure who MAC is or who makes them, a little help finding them please?

Thanks again for all the replies!
Old 02-16-2004, 03:41 PM

still dont get the eddy bashing. mine bolted right on no problems and look awesome. they sound better than most of the clips i have heard around here and have the carb eo stamped on top. call them to verify part number and fit. either import eater is one hell of a driver or his friends car has a problem (driver included). my 95 has freebies and eddy shorties and runs faster than his 97. not much but a bit.

david
Old 02-16-2004, 03:48 PM

You can get MAC headers coated directly from Jet-Hot, just call and order them. Most people pay around $560 shipping included. Do some searching on MACS they are a good Midlength. MAC makes them, they are a "true fit" header (good fitting I guess) MAC quotes 28.4 hp at the wheels from their headers. They also come with an off road pipe option that you just unbolt your cat and bolt in a straight pipe for racing or whatever you want. Nice system, I may be getting them too..

here is a link to help:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ht=mac+headers

-Dustin-
Old 02-16-2004, 03:53 PM

I am another owner of the Edelbrocks..

What the other guys said is the best advice. If you want shorties, there are other, better, brands than Edelbrock. Macs, AS&Ms, SLP shorties are all better choices.

The Edelbrocks flow decent, and yield good top-end, but with the primary design it's damn-near impossible to do a plug change. Add in the fact that most sets require modification to fit, and it'll drive up the price a decent amount.

Good luck on finding your headers

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Headers on a 1997