LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Edelbrock Torque arm=CRAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 08:53 PM

Angry Edelbrock Torque arm=CRAP

Well I got my Edelbrock torque arm and it looked like a real nice piece of work...All welds were nice and it was adjustable Well I finally got my new setup running and I was doing a little crusing out on the town. I shifted pretty hard and heard a loud bang type noise and then the car started shacking really bad....So I turned around and limped home. Pulled in the garage and even before I put it on the lift (yes LIFT) I looked under the car only to find my nice Torqure arm had SNAPPED. here are some pixs and you can bet I am calling Edelbrock tom to raise some hell.

http://community.webshots.com/album/289595140ODTumq

Matt
Old 03-06-2005, 09:02 PM

Re: Edelbrock Torque arm=CRAP

That sucks. But how does that motor feel? I remember looking at it when JD was selling off all his parts and asked him how much he wanted for that beast and told me it was sold.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:07 PM

I had this EXACT same experience. Got the adjustable torque arm installed, pulled out of the shop onto the road, accelerated normally, and BANG! Car started shuddering and shaking. Pulled back into the shop, put it up on the lift, and the torque arm was snapped in two, right at the adjustable nut. Took it off the car, and examined it, and the shop guy said it was the most pathetic excuse for a weld he'd seen recently. I had him reweld it (properly), and reinstall it, and it has been fine ever since (1 year, daily driven).

I've decided that this is the last Edelbrock product I will ever buy.

By comparison, the Hotchkis pieces (LCAs, and adjustable panhard rod) were top quality, and have had no problems with them.

---------------------
1999 TA Firehawk M6 coupe #C08, black on grey
All GM options, all SLP options, lots of aftermarket stuff
Old 03-06-2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_Z
That sucks. But how does that motor feel? I remember looking at it when JD was selling off all his parts and asked him how much he wanted for that beast and told me it was sold.

Really STRONG...I put a 15LB pulley on the SC, got 50 LB injectors, and Alky injection(not hooked up yet) But it was running really strong and BAM this happens...You know it is always something with this car. Finally get it running had planned to take it to the paint shop tom (Electrion Blue) and now this happens O well I guess is anyone selling a Torque Arm?

Originally Posted by wu6fiend
I had this EXACT same experience. Got the adjustable torque arm installed, pulled out of the shop onto the road, accelerated normally, and BANG! Car started shuddering and shaking. Pulled back into the shop, put it up on the lift, and the torque arm was snapped in two, right at the adjustable nut. Took it off the car, and examined it, and the shop guy said it was the most pathetic excuse for a weld he'd seen recently. I had him reweld it (properly), and reinstall it, and it has been fine ever since (1 year, daily driven).

I've decided that this is the last Edelbrock product I will ever buy.

By comparison, the Hotchkis pieces (LCAs, and adjustable panhard rod) were top quality, and have had no problems with them.

---------------------
1999 TA Firehawk M6 coupe #C08, black on grey
All GM options, all SLP options, lots of aftermarket stuff
MIne wasnt the weld but the actual stud snaped in 2

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by lillbush5555; 03-06-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:27 PM

That sucks, although it is half the price as other quality pieces so that will tell you something right there.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:12 PM

The hardware broke, not the torque arm. Unless the hardware is inadequate for the application, its probably a unique failure and not really Edelbrock's fault.
Isn't that about the cheapest torque arm available besides those ebay hack jobs? Maybe you really do get what you pay for...
Old 03-07-2005, 08:28 PM

This is the third edelbrock torque arm I have heard of snapping....

Kandied91z on thirdgen.org had the exact same thing happen. Installed it, not even 5 minutes into his ride home the damn weld snapped. he took it to his shop and had it re-welded.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:37 PM

I see that you have a 9" rear...Using a TA that mounts in the stock rear location will throw the geometry off and put the suspension in a bind adding stress to the TA because the center section of the 9" is not centered under the car. I couldn't tell in the pictures, but does the Edelbrock have two sets of rear bolt holes? One set for 10-12 bolt rears and one for the 9"? I am not defending them, but it may be a point of issue...

--Alan
Old 03-08-2005, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bud M
The hardware broke, not the torque arm. Unless the hardware is inadequate for the application, its probably a unique failure and not really Edelbrock's fault.
The hardware was inadequate. But it most certainly is Edelbrock's fault. A double adjuster such as theirs has absolutely no business being used where bending loads are so high. The other brands "get away with it" in most cases because they use shorter, beefier double-adjusting pieces.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

more junk from edelbrock.... go figure...

why can't edelbrock make good parts for cars past 1970????

Last edited by Heatmaker; 03-08-2005 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:57 AM

They make some pretty good intakes....
Old 03-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Administrator

First... it appears to be a very strong car.... S/C'd 383, Street Twin, 9-inch. Even BMR and Spohn recommend their "race version" or "heavy duty" arms for a setup like that. And even these other companies have experienced failures when people put a TA that is not designed for the 9-inch on a 9-inch - for exactly the reasons outlined in the post by ABA383 . I think failure was inevitable. Wrong part for the application.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:29 PM

i have a nine inch and i am still using the stock ta but what would i need to buy to make an aftermarket one work.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:41 PM

does anyone else find it odd that hes got a beefy motor (must have cost a little money) and the cheapest tq arm? I though i was bad for putting decarbons back on mine cuz of cash
Old 03-09-2005, 01:35 PM

My Firehawk is totally stock, engine wise, and the Edelbrock torque arm failed immediately after the car moved down the road. Light throttle application, and BANG, it snapped. So, I don't think a defence of Edelbrock is possible, using the "too much motor" argument. The bottom line is, Edelbrock produced a poor quality product, and it failed, not only for one person, but it seems, for multiple people. I tried to email Edelbrock and express my dissatisfaction, but it came back as undelivered. I dont intend to waste any more money on Edelbrock products. If Hotchkis decides to put out a torque arm, I will buy it, and throw the Edelbrock arm in the garbage, where it belongs.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Torque arm=CRAP