LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

egr delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 08:49 PM

egr delete

anyone in here that deleted their egr valve, did you have any issues with it? i was told that even if tuned out it could still mess up the timing tables. is that true?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:52 PM

Re: egr delete

It won't have any effect on timing tables, but removing it won't give you any extra performance.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:08 PM

i understand it wont performance wise, it just one less thing that will go wrong
Old 01-05-2006, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Helps prevent detonation when the engine is "lugged", acts as a mini "displacement on demand" system.... it actually has positive benefits.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:11 AM

I have been through 3 EGR valves and the infamous code 32.
When I did my header install I did the EGR deletin with the 3 aluminum plates and had the function deactivated in the tune.
In one case the valve was sticking open causing the engine to barely run after starting.
I dont expect any gains but I do expect fewer headaches.

If the engine is lugged I assume that you are probobly near or at WOT. It was my understanding the EGR did not function near or at WOT. I thought it did its magic when you were basically cruising at constant throttle.
Maybe im wrong.

The other benefit is beacause there is no hot air being introduced into the intake you lessen the odds of the beloved LT1 intake oil leak. I have read that the hot air makes a few bolts loosen up in time causing the messy leak down the righ rear of the block.

Last edited by wrd1972; 01-05-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:17 AM

so is it a good idea or bad idea to delete it? i will be getting it tuned out by bryan from pcm for less.....
Old 01-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by wrd1972
If the engine is lugged I assume that you are probobly near or at WOT. It was my understanding the EGR did not function near or at WOT. I thought it did its magic when you were basically cruising at constant throttle.
Maybe im wrong.

The other benefit is beacause there is no hot air being introduced into the intake you lessen the odds of the beloved LT1 intake oil leak. I have read that the hot air makes a few bolts loosen up in time causing the messy leak down the righ rear of the block.
No.... "lugging" is trying to accellerate at low RPM, using the wrong (too high) gear.... common when you are "cruising" in OD. That is exactly when the EGR valve operates, and exactly when you are most likely to detonate, because the combustion chamber temps are elevating.

The people who have worried about the oil leak have come up with the idea of bending the corrugated tube away from the engine (if you have the corrugated tube, and not a rigid one), or insulating it. They seem more concerned about radiant heat from the tube, but I'm not sure I'd buy into that.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, so do what you want. I was just trying to offer a little "food for thought".
Old 01-05-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
It won't have any effect on timing tables, but removing it won't give you any extra performance.

Actually removing the EGR can potenially cause spark knock.. The reason is the computer commands a fuel adder as well as a timing adder when EGR is commanded to keep things smooth.. If EGR isn't there than the extra timing can cause a bit of knock. I just actually helped a guy on Corvette forum with this exact problem.. the EGR wasn't opening with a commanded signal and the car was running up to 12 degrees of retard.

MOST LT1'S are tame
when it comes to this and it will never be an issue. But remove the EGR on a older chevy truck and you'll definately have quite a bit of pinging.