LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

EGR and Emissions question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 01:56 PM

EGR and Emissions question

Ok so I have emissions coming up and I'm throwing a code for the EGR. We figured it out that it's throwing the code because the EGR isnt getting any exhaust gas because when we put the headers in we deleted the hose that went from the passenger side manifold to the back of the intake and put a block off plate over it. So my question now is can I just remove the plate and the computer wont notice the difference between exhaust gas and regular air flowing through the EGR valve? I have OBDII so all they do here is scan the car, and that's the only code that I'm throwing. HELP!
Old 09-25-2004, 02:31 PM

Re: EGR and Emissions question

You can try it, but I have my doubts. How are you going to get clean air to go in there?
Old 09-26-2004, 02:05 PM

I wass hopin it was just sorta go in there, or if all else fails I was gonna weld a nippled piece on the blockoff plate there, and run a hose from the exhaust somewhere into there that way.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Administrator

If you remove the block-off plate for the corrugated hose connection at the back of the intake manifold, every time the EGR valve is commanded open, you will have one huge vacuum leak. That isn't going to help with emissions. EGR is used to reduce oxides of nitrogen (NOx) by reducing the combustion chamber temperatures. Running it with a vacuum leak, causing it to run lean, will only increase the production of NOx.

Its also unlikely that simply letting air flow through the EGR system will "fool" the flow diagnostic. Its looking for an increase in MAP, caused in part by the fact that the exhaust system is operating under (back) pressure.

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-26-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:15 AM

So does anyone know of how I can get the EGR to stop throwing a code? It's code 400 right now. As I understand the Emissions test here in Illinois too is that all you need to do is to get the code to have all but 2 of it's"monitors" set. So can i just get the EGR deleted from the computer and I'll pass cause everything else says I'm ok? OR is there something else?
Old 10-02-2004, 04:31 PM

TTT. I wonder what the fixes are too. I've got an ses for the egr on my 97 that has been there since a few months after my headers went in. We don't have emissions testing where I'm at, but there have been talks about it recently.

A member of this board sent me plans to make a device to fool the computer, but I never got around to it. It involved using a part from Toyota and I believe it hooked between the map and egr. Let me know if you want the plans, and I'll try to find the info if I still have it.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:37 PM

Ya for sure, if u have them email them to me! Thanx
Old 10-03-2004, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by WhtLT1
Ya for sure, if u have them email them to me! Thanx
I couldn't find the original one, but I sent you a different plan. Hope it works for ya. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:51 PM

old post but has anyone figured out how to get through obdII emissions without AIR and egr yet?
Old 04-27-2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by superkia8
old post but has anyone figured out how to get through obdII emissions without AIR and egr yet?

Umm look around the site a bit I think there was a way. Or maybe try to PM trax ( believe that's his name) he may know a reason out of it
Old 04-27-2005, 07:50 AM

Heres an idea, hook everything back up the way it should be, and you will get rid of the problem!!! If you disconect the egr from the circuit and they check for emissions with a scan tool, they will see that the egr is disconnected. This really is a no brainer guys.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:47 PM

All my equipment is still on, after I installed headers I started getting codes from the EGR and the AIR. From what I hear, it doesnt have enough back pressure? I dont know?I would hate it if I end up having to take the headers off and go back to manifolds
Old 04-27-2005, 08:28 PM

You can have the EGR deleted so it will be always be not ready.
If you're allowed 2 monitors out of 6 as we are here in ny they can be the AIR and EGR.
However the other 4 have to read ready.
Catalyst
Evap
O2
O2HS.
I've got longtubes and am waiting for 1 more to reset after reflashing my pcm with LT1 Edit.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:54 PM

Hey 2cub49, could you keep me posted on how that works out for ya? And if you could go a step further, could you email me a file of what you have done with edit if it works. Weve been changing things around on mine but no luck yet. When I scanned my car with a friends hptuner, the only one that was complete or ready I guess, was the catalyst?

Keep me informed if ya could.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 04-27-2005, 09:25 PM

I have my old file from when my car was stock with 2.73's, however I'm running a tune by Ion now.
If you have LT-1 Edit, open your file and go to edit, engine, then hardware verification.
On the box that says Enable Diagnostic test click on it and scroll down to PO400.
On T Side toggle to off and leave the other side on.
Then save file and flash your pcm with it and you've disabled the EGR test.
I just need the Catalyst or AIR to read ready and I'm set.

Quick Reply: EGR and Emissions question