LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

EGR questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 PM

EGR questions

I had a stall and no start issue a few weeks ago after some hesitation/surge problems have become more of normal everyday operation. I tested the EGR Valve at idle and it stalled.. I pulled off the vacuum line to the EGR after doing a bunch of other repairs and the hesitation/surge at low pressure/acceleration or steady speed went away for the most part...as soon as I put the vacuum line back on the EGR Valve the hesitation and Surge became much worse or cameback. I figured I'd take the EGR Valve of to see if it was dirty and possibly sticking on occasion. But I found the driver's side nut is impossible to get off. It also is now stripped if it wasn't already as it looked as though the 1/2 box end wrench was on correctly and felt as such but when I thought I had broke the nut loose it didn't move...either the nut is not 1/2 and was replaced with a different size or something but nothing fits..sae or metric...1/2 is as close as it gets...the more I try the more I strip it... I am currently trying some "Blaster" PB Penetrating catalyst...I will spray it every few hours for the the rest of the day... and try again...however since I feel as though this won't work I am wondering how the stud for the nut is installed....I know it's a double-ended stud from what I have found in my research but how is it tightened into the engine? is the very tip of the stud or end near the valve a way to tighten/loosen the stud...if the bolt won't come off can I use a socket/wrench to remove the egr and stud together and then install a new stud/egr valve/nut/gasket/vacuum line?

Or is the nut covering the part of the stud that was used to fasten the stud into the engine mount? I found some cuts? in the vacuum lines for the regulator solenoid? near the egr valve but am unsure if they were there before or not? I will replace them but I plan to replace egr valve no matter what...it's only 62.95$ and it will eliminate it as the root of my problems if not be the solution... also I had no issue getting the other nut loose...leads me to believe the egr was a problem prior and the nut was messed up prior!? who knows....

anybody know how the stud is installed? is it on the end of the stud or in the middle and buried by the egr valve/nut?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:15 PM

looks like the end of the stud is a star (6-point) torx.

I think I found it... TORX wrench set...anybody know if this is correct?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1207000P?mv=rr

I'm guessing it's an E6 or close size torx end since I have a star socket T30 which seems to be the same size ...I should be able to use this to remove the stud with the stripped nut on it correct? Is a double-ended stud removed counter-clockwise? fthe stud is mounted in the manifold and sticks out with threads for a nut to hold the egr on...

I found a picture of it somewhere but my browser crashed and I lost it..... I haven't much experience with this and really don't won't to test out without some confirmation from someone who knows what they are doing... (not me)

any idea on the exact size of the torx and would the stud be removed in the same direction the nut would be?

http://shbox.com/1/intake_rear.jpg

Last edited by eanhl2004; 06-08-2009 at 10:53 PM.