LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Eibach Drag Launch Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 06:18 PM

This is what the Eibach drag launch springs looks like on my car. I don't care for the look. But oh well.
http://www.97ta.com/trans_am_photos/transam09.jpg

The airbag doesn't raise the rear end up. It's the springs. They are taller than the stock. All the air bag does is keep the passenger side from squatting too far down from the rotation of the engine. In effect keep the car level during launch.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Administrator

If you have made the investment in HAL's, then the kit is a great compliment. I ran the air nipple in through an existing hole in the passenger side wheelwell and left a couple of feet of whip on it so I can easily add air from the portable tank.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:44 PM

What is HAL's??
Old 02-05-2004, 08:43 PM

Here is a pic of my car with the Drag Launch kit.
Those are 275 50 15s on the rear 15x10 inch rim......That is the way it will always sit , there is no way to adjust the ride height, the air bag won,t do that.
I have skinnies and no front sway bar so I don, t care much about handling but the drag launch kit is decent on the street.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:26 PM

with the rear end raised it will mess with your front end alingment and cause front end parts to wear quicker, due to the stance of the car... i never knew this untill last week in my steering and suspension ASE class they were talking about it
Old 02-05-2004, 09:33 PM

One of my buddies put the drag launch kit on his 93 Z28 and hated it so much he took it off. His main gripe was the stance- the rear was too high for his liking.

I'm with tnthub on this one, why aren't you running drag radials? I'd suggest finding a cheap set of wheels and mounting some BFG drag radials on it for track use only. One of the good things about the 1LE package which you have is a nice suspension. I would not put a drag launch spring kit on there.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by FastZinTennessee
One of my buddies put the drag launch kit on his 93 Z28 and hated it so much he took it off. His main gripe was the stance- the rear was too high for his liking.

I'm with tnthub on this one, why aren't you running drag radials? I'd suggest finding a cheap set of wheels and mounting some BFG drag radials on it for track use only. One of the good things about the 1LE package which you have is a nice suspension. I would not put a drag launch spring kit on there.
I would suggest a drag launch kit on any F-body that was serios on the track (or even the street for that matter). You cannot arguee with the results that have been proven with this set-up. Face it< are you really gonna arguee with the people useing it that run 10s ? .
Old 02-06-2004, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Brundle
thanks captain obvious . i already know this information. i was just quoting someone else cause they were askin what u adjust at the track with this kit. and i said the airbag
i wasnt talkin about how much the car was raised
Oh... you're tryin to get smart Captain Jack-Off? Who the hell were you quoting? "and i said the airbag i wasnt talkin about how much the car was raised"... I don't think you know what the F you were trying to say. AND you said AIRBAGS... the plural of AIRBAG. That's why I brought up the "one airbag" comment. Get your finger out of your ***.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:47 AM

lol. Relax there fella, don't give yourself an aneurysm. I was just joking. Your pretty quick with the come backs though.

As far as who I was quoting goes, I didn't realize but it was you that i was quoting the very first time, but regardless I was simply responding to your comment:
"What do you mean by "adjust it for the track"? It's springs... you can't adjust the springs."
I was saying that you adjust the AIRBAG. Perhaps you should go back and re-read the posts.
And sorry for saying AIRBAGS and not AIRBAG, didn't mean to ruin your day. lol
And I'll be sure to take my finger out of my ***. You should go to bed now though. You must be tired from trying to think up that ridiculous post all night.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:17 PM

Actually that was about 9:30 this morning where I live. I don't sit behind a computer all night waiting for some pecker head to respond to a post.... I save that for work.

And you don't make any F'n sense. Maybe you need to go back and read the posts. Who started the ridiculous posts?... I believe that would be you with the gay-*** "thanks captain obvious" comment.

I don't get too worked up bro. I have 2 jobs... and in one of them I take care of whatever aggression or aneyrysm I'm about to have, so I generally don't bother myself playing keyboard warrior. But when somebody tries to be a smart-*** and dis, I have to snap back. Be glad your on the other end of a wire bro.

Peace.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:47 PM

Just a few things:

Originally posted by Will84
Actually that was about 9:30 this morning where I live. I don't sit behind a computer all night waiting for some pecker head to respond to a post.... I save that for work.
1. Good for you. I dont care what time it is there. The point of my comment was say how ridiculous your post was.

And you don't make any F'n sense. Maybe you need to go back and read the posts. Who started the ridiculous posts?... I believe that would be you with the gay-*** "thanks captain
obvious" comment.
2. I really dont care dont care if you cant make sense of the previous posts. I refuse to keep arguing about what we already posted. And for the last time: I ALREADY SAID I WAS JOKING ABOUT THE CAPTIAN OBVIOUS COMMENT. You obviously blew it way out of proportion and had to try and start a battle. Mission accomplished.

I don't get too worked up bro. I have 2 jobs... and in one of them I take care of whatever aggression or aneyrysm I'm about to have, so I generally don't bother myself playing keyboard warrior. But when somebody tries to be a smart-*** and dis, I have to snap back. Be glad your on the other end of a wire bro.
3. I'm not your bro.
4. Do you want a medal for having 2 jobs. I have 2 as well. WHOOPITY DOO
5. Point in case. You have to "snap back" if you someone is being sarcastic.
6. Everyone is always a tough guy at the keyboard.
I'm so glad i'm not near u right now.

Wow. turned out to be a bigger list than i thought. Anyways, this is my last post i make on this subject. As you can see in my first post on this thread, i was simply trying to contribute some helpful information on the subject. I have better things to do than sit here and argue about who posted what.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:17 PM

Then go do them... pusssy.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by RedHottG2
I would suggest a drag launch kit on any F-body that was serios on the track (or even the street for that matter). You cannot arguee with the results that have been proven with this set-up. Face it< are you really gonna arguee with the people useing it that run 10s ? .
This guy is obviously not serious at the track, at least not right now. He has a few bolt on mods and is trying to hook up better. Why put springs on there when you can fix the first link in the process, where the tire hits the road! Get some sticky tires. If it's that big of an issue to swap springs then get a set of used V6 rear springs from a junkyard.

It doesn't really matter to me that people run 10's with this spring set, good for them. I'm sure people run 10's on diferent setups as well. This is a mid-low 13 second car we are talking about here. Hell I kept the stock suspension and added some drag radials and knocked off .3 in my 60 foot times. That took off about .4 in the 1/8.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:25 AM

I agree with FastZ, if you are looking to the future with big mods then do the launch kit I am going to build a motor soon and the car is only a drag racer it aint gonna handle curves well under any circumstances.
I would go with basic suspension mods, LCAs, panhard rod, etc and a sticky set of tires and see where that gets you.
I have adjustable shocks, adjustable TA, and the air bag in the rear and maybe its just me but I am having a hell of a time getting the suspension setup right, too many variables to go out to the T&T on a friday nite and make 3 passes, I need alot more runs and start taking better notes about my adjustments, anyhow what I am saying is for daily driver simple may be a better way to go.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by revtime
I agree with FastZ, if you are looking to the future with big mods then do the launch kit I am going to build a motor soon and the car is only a drag racer it aint gonna handle curves well under any circumstances.
I would go with basic suspension mods, LCAs, panhard rod, etc and a sticky set of tires and see where that gets you.
I have adjustable shocks, adjustable TA, and the air bag in the rear and maybe its just me but I am having a hell of a time getting the suspension setup right, too many variables to go out to the T&T on a friday nite and make 3 passes, I need alot more runs and start taking better notes about my adjustments, anyhow what I am saying is for daily driver simple may be a better way to go.
I'll have to disagree with the first part of what you said. Two mods that people running on the track mainly migh want (drag launch springs and a fatter rear sway bar) do not make your car handle poorly. Remember in the front and rear we are talking about really stiff springs here. Why is it when most people go to a stiffer spring then all of the sudden the car handles better?

Drag launch springs on my car lowered the front slightly and raised the rear slightly. I didn't care for the look even though I had zero issues with the handling (with a 24mm Iroc bar in the rear it's easier to handle for me at the limit) so I put my stock Z28 springs back in the rear only. All of the sudden I couldn't get traction to save my life. I tried some V6 springs even though I didn't feel it would do much good and suddenly I could feel the car again. Still not as good as the drag launch springs in the rear but still an improvement and it handles atleast as good as stock and looks better like that.

Now I have pulled my front sway bar. All I can say is I love it now. I never imagined that it would make that big a difference but now it hits so hard it doesn't even seem like the same car. Does it hanlde worse now? Sure but it's far from being unsafe.

Also keep in mind that I'm running a BMR adjustable torque arm. I'm not saying this is a necessary part but my pinion angle with a stock arm and a Moser 12 bolt was actually a positive number. That and the fact that I've bent two stock type torque arms.

Some pics I have:
Drag launch springs front and back.

Drag launch springs in the front with V6 springs in the back. Not a dramatic difference but more than enough to make me happy from an appearance standpoint.

From left to right: drivers side drag launch rear, passenger side drag launch rear, and stock Z28 rear.

Quick Reply: Eibach Drag Launch Kit