LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Eibach Drag Launch Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 10:18 PM

I never said it was unsafe. regular street diving is fine.
No front sway bar and skinnies with drag radials on the back your not going to want to do any solo racing.
I have seen first hand the carnage that can occur when people think they can take the curves like they used to with a car modified to go like hell in a straight line, it can get away from you and it usually happens so fast when it does that its too late to do anything about it.
I am not trying to scare anybody but I don,t think its right to tell people that thier car will handle like stock with a removed front sway bar and skinnies.
Just the drag launch kit itself with everything else being equal would be fine on the street but if your going to install a drag launch kit then why would you not set the rest of the car up to launch?
Old 02-10-2004, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by revtime
I never said it was unsafe. regular street diving is fine.
No front sway bar and skinnies with drag radials on the back your not going to want to do any solo racing.
I have seen first hand the carnage that can occur when people think they can take the curves like they used to with a car modified to go like hell in a straight line, it can get away from you and it usually happens so fast when it does that its too late to do anything about it.
I am not trying to scare anybody but I don,t think its right to tell people that thier car will handle like stock with a removed front sway bar and skinnies.
Just the drag launch kit itself with everything else being equal would be fine on the street but if your going to install a drag launch kit then why would you not set the rest of the car up to launch?
I agree up to a point. The skinnies up front with drag radials in the back that some people run is not ideal (or safe in my mind) for a daily driver. You can get it to launch on the street though and have a car that still handles better than 99% of us need. Keep in mind that I don't run skinnies and in my mind skinnies up front crosses the line between street car and race car. Atleast it's beyond my comfort level for my daily driver. Of course running normal tires (I run BF Goodrich Comp TA ZR's sized 255/45-17 in the front and BF Goodrich KDWS's sized 285/40-17in the rear) doesn't mean that I can't still have a car that can out launch most cars on the street.

I guess my point is that all of us have very specific needs. No one specific suspension is gonna be ideal for everyone. I just wanted to point out that drag launch springs do not degrade the handling of an f-body to where most people would notice. Before I ditched the front sway bar and with a 24mm out back and drag launch springs all around, my car definitely handled as good as it was stock with my current tires.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by brokenz
Remember in the front and rear we are talking about really stiff springs here.
The front springs should be softer (less stiff than stock) with drag springs, not stiffer. Good for front to back weight transfer, but really bad for handling the rest of the time.

Also, it was my understanding the v-6s rear springs were softer than stock, and the exact opposite of what you'd find in the drag launch kit.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by speedmiser
The front springs should be softer (less stiff than stock) with drag springs, not stiffer. Good for front to back weight transfer, but really bad for handling the rest of the time.

Also, it was my understanding the v-6s rear springs were softer than stock, and the exact opposite of what you'd find in the drag launch kit.
The front ones tested the limit of a hydraulic spring compressor that a local mechanic I know owns. They are definitely stiffer. More stored energy which is what you want for good weight transfer.

The v6 springs are definitely softer. You would think that this would actually hurt traction but for me it's not the case because I can actually "feel" the tires when I launch it now. It's the complete opposite of what it should be but trust me, I've been playing with different springs for a long time now trying to get the car just the way I want it. Maybe for someone else this wouldn't be the case but for me it is.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:16 AM

Odd, I'd heard that the front springs had softer spring rates which allowed for better seperation.

"Relatively soft front spring rates allow maximum weight transfer when launching. "

http://www.lmperformance.com/547/2.html
Old 02-11-2004, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by speedmiser
Odd, I'd heard that the front springs had softer spring rates which allowed for better seperation.

"Relatively soft front spring rates allow maximum weight transfer when launching. "

http://www.lmperformance.com/547/2.html
That is odd. Maybe I don't understand the definition of spring rates. The spring itself (compared to stock) had a free length in the front that was several inches longer, the wire was about the same diameter, the coil created was the same diameter, and more coils were present by a far sight. The front end definitely pops up faster with this spring while at the same time (with the rears springs out of the same set) the rear of the car seemed to seperate slightly, pushing the body up.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:54 PM

Thanks guys! I'll be gettin the drag launch kit, some bilstein shocks, bmr torque arm, bmr control arms with lowering brackets, and a bmr panhard bar....it should start hooking up now....thanks!
Old 09-16-2004, 09:46 AM

Re: Eibach Drag Launch Kit

dont forget to get some Drag Radials, I have had both Nitto and BF Goodwrich, stay American Made! Go with the BFG! By the way, do you have any install instructions on the drag launch kit?