LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Elec WP power connection

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 11:31 PM

Elec WP power connection

About to install my Meziere WP, where should I connect it to? I have heard the cooling fan wire under the fuse box. I want it to be on only when the key is in the "on" position. I don't want it running in the accessory or "start" position, as I don't want it to drain power while starting. Also, I need to get a relay and some wire from Radio shack. What exactly do I need to tell the store of the type of relay I need?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:11 AM

I would also like to know which wire is hot only when running.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2004, 05:27 PM

Anyone?
Old 03-04-2004, 05:41 PM

i think i went with 12 gauge(basically get something atleast the size of the WP wire) for the waterpump, and any small wire will work for the relay, get a 12 volt automotove relay, they have them at radio shack, and for the power wire for the relay, connect it to the ignition fuse in the fuse/relay box. the ign. fuse is red and its the only red fuse on the side of the box facing the engine, its also labeled on the under side of the box cover,
Old 03-04-2004, 06:45 PM

Something you might also want to invest in is a warning system for your waterpump. Something that will notify you in case the pump quits or dies. Get in contact with 94sleeper on this board if you are interested.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:57 PM

Power, connect all the way to your red power box next to your battery. For hot when runing, run a wire to the 10 amp IGN fuse.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:39 PM

I used 10 gauge wire for the pump power. It starts at the positive distribution block by the battery, goes through an inline fuse holder, through the relay, and then to the pump. On the negative side of the pump, it just runs directly to the negative distribution block by the battery. The activation loop runs to the "Cruise/AC" fuse in the fuse/relay box on the driver's side of the engine compartment. The ground for the relay is also the neg terminal.

For an indicator, I ran wires from either side of the pump inside the car. There, I used a second relay with a normally-closed contact. The relay is used to switch between a red and green LED. When the pump is receiving power, the green LED is on. If the pump isn't getting any power, then the red LED lights and the green one goes out.

The indicator lets you know that everything is working and if power to the pump goes off for some reason. It won't tell you if the pump has failed and left an open circuit, but it will tell you if the fuse blows, a wire breaks, etc. It's better than nothing and fairly cheap. Just watch the gauge.