LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Electric Water Pump People :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 03:07 PM

Electric Water Pump People :)

I have done a ton of searches on E-WP's in the past week, but I still am unclear on some things.

Do I need to buy a whole new water pump unit when converting to electric? Mine is leaky: http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379805

I have never messed with wiring... so how difficult is it to wire up?

Is there any custom cutting that will be needed? I read about trimming the fans, but anything else?

Where is the cheapest place to get one? I am leaning towards CSR based on what I've read about them with reliability.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 07-13-2005, 03:17 PM

Re: Electric Water Pump People :)

Use your old pump housing.

I can do wiring, I just needed to know where to make the connections. I had a local speed shop show me where to make the connections.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:17 PM

You can re-use your existing housing even if it's leaking. You'll have to press or drive out the impeller and shaft and then install a freeze plug where the shaft used to pass through the back of the pump. It's very easy to do, and whatever pump you buy will have instructions. There are only two wires to hook up, and probably a relay as well. I've had my Meziere for about 16 months and 30,000 miles and it's performed flawlessly.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:48 PM

I installed a CSR pump on a friend's car and he loves it. You can use your existing housing. You'll be putting a freeze plug where the weep hole is, so you don't have to worry if its leaking.

Finally, the wiring is easy, there's a website floating around on a step by step install of an electric wp.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:33 AM

Thanks for the replies. Will the pump come with two freeze plugs? Where can I find the two brands of E-WP's at the best prices?

I just bought a new Opti from Jason Cromer and I plan on ordering an E-WP tomorrow (Thursday). Hopefully I can make my mind up on either CSR or Meziere, and then which model. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Steve
Old 07-14-2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by transamdude95
Thanks for the replies. Will the pump come with two freeze plugs? Where can I find the two brands of E-WP's at the best prices?

I just bought a new Opti from Jason Cromer and I plan on ordering an E-WP tomorrow (Thursday). Hopefully I can make my mind up on either CSR or Meziere, and then which model. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Steve
My Meziere didn't come with the freeze plug, but we picked one up at Autozone for less than a dollar. BTW, I would recommend the heavy duty version as well, just my .02
Old 07-14-2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by tardy007
My Meziere didn't come with the freeze plug, but we picked one up at Autozone for less than a dollar. BTW, I would recommend the heavy duty version as well, just my .02
My meziere only came with one freeze plug. Why would you need the heavy duty Electric water pump? The stock mechanical pumps are flow rated at something like 25GPM, the CSI is rated at 30-37GPM, the Meziere is rated at 43GPM, and the HD Meziere is rated at 55GPM....I don't think you need the HD version...especially since the regular version of both electric water pumps already outflow the stocker by quite a bit. When it comes to choosing which you want, go with what you can afford...they are both good companies. I went with the Meziere because thats the brand I have run previously on some other cars I modded and the performed flawlessly.

Kyle
Old 07-14-2005, 01:29 PM

I have the Meziere E-WP and it has been performing flawlessly for over 4 years now. And it still works perfect even tho my old engine crapped the bed.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:41 PM

Would it be worth getting a Heavy Duty? Would it be able to flow to it's maximum? Would the radiator allow it to flow 50+GPM?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by transamdude95
Would it be worth getting a Heavy Duty? Would it be able to flow to it's maximum? Would the radiator allow it to flow 50+GPM?
I'm no expert but the faster you pump coolant the less time it has to absorb heat and move it to the radiator. Also, it has less time to cool off once in the radiator. That's probably why they don't make 140 or lower thermostats for our cars (at least non that I've seen).

Applying this assumption (and that's all it is) to the WP, a higher-flowing WP may hurt the cooling ability of your coolant rather then help it.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Black_95Formula
I'm no expert but the faster you pump coolant the less time it has to absorb heat and move it to the radiator. Also, it has less time to cool off once in the radiator. That's probably why they don't make 140 or lower thermostats for our cars (at least non that I've seen).

Applying this assumption (and that's all it is) to the WP, a higher-flowing WP may hurt the cooling ability of your coolant rather then help it.
Yep.

As for freeze plugs, Meziere only comes with one, for the inside of the waterpump. I still had the waterpump driveshaft on when I did mine. I'll do two freeze plugs next time (to avoid the oil leaks mainly) and go with a CSR. (I've had bad luck with Meziere)
Old 07-14-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Black_95Formula

Applying the same logic that you used, I would make this assumption: The faster the coolant flows through the radiator, the faster it will flow through the engine and therefore wouldn't heat up as much. So it wouldn't really hurt that the coolant is in the radiator for less time since it wouldn't be as hot as if it were flowing slower. I see what you are saying, though, and I would think the engine would heat up the coolant faster than the radiator could cool it down.

Where is the best place to get an electric water pump? Best price.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:19 PM

Jegs is $200 so is Summit.
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...90&prmenbr=361

Shop around, maybe you will find a good deal. Also try eBay.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:20 PM

Also, I've read that the WP housing needs to be cut when using the CSR.... I don't really have tools to cut this. Is it necessary to do that with the CSR?
Old 07-14-2005, 02:58 PM

Well, I just ordered the CSR #901LT1 - http://www.csr-performance.com/Merch...y_Code=CHEV_WP

Thanks for all the input!

Quick Reply: Electric Water Pump People :)