Electric Water Pump People :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 03:11 PM

Re: Electric Water Pump People :)

you could have got it at scoggin dickey for 150.00
Old 07-21-2005, 03:32 PM

Oh well... hehe.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the crankshaft pulley off and trying to punch out the insides of the water pump.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:02 AM

For all of you that have gone to an electric water pump, do you put in a new o-ring where the factory inspection cover was? Or do you just put some RTV around the sealing surface where your new electric pump sits? Just trying to figure out if I need to find an o-ring that fits or I can make my own seal. The instructions that came with the Meziere pump say to use the factory o-ring and not to RTV it but I can't figure out why....

As for the increased flow rate causing a loss of cooling, the opposite is true. The increased flow rate will cause your hottest engine temp to be lower than a low flow rate but it will also cause your lowest radiator temp to be higher. In essence you guys were kind of right. Your average temps will not be greatly effected but your highest and lowest temps will not be as far apart anymore. If you get really deep, you may get a slightly better cooling of your motor because the flow will be more turbulent through the block...
Old 08-18-2005, 09:43 AM

I have used CSI/CSR's with no issues except a car issue. Just make sure you dont have a bad ground in the electrical system, otherwise it could back feed and damaged the electric motor. It has happend to me, I fixed it and have not had a issue since.

Mine was due to a stolen radio, cut harness and some how from the previous owner had a 12 volt constant from the cig lighter tied into the heating/air/vent controls, lead to a back feed and drawn on the battery. Which killed the unit
Old 08-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jim D
For all of you that have gone to an electric water pump, do you put in a new o-ring where the factory inspection cover was? Or do you just put some RTV around the sealing surface where your new electric pump sits? Just trying to figure out if I need to find an o-ring that fits or I can make my own seal. The instructions that came with the Meziere pump say to use the factory o-ring and not to RTV it but I can't figure out why....

As for the increased flow rate causing a loss of cooling, the opposite is true. The increased flow rate will cause your hottest engine temp to be lower than a low flow rate but it will also cause your lowest radiator temp to be higher. In essence you guys were kind of right. Your average temps will not be greatly effected but your highest and lowest temps will not be as far apart anymore. If you get really deep, you may get a slightly better cooling of your motor because the flow will be more turbulent through the block...
My CSR came with an o-ring on the electric pump. I still used RTV, just be sure that you don't get RTV on the inside of where the o-ring goes.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:02 PM

I went with CSR just because it was cheaper than the Meizere Unit. Both are good quality units so price is what made me decide. I got my CSR unit from SDPC for 159.99 I believe. It did not come with instructions but I figured it out by myself. Also there is a link around here on a full CSR water pump install.

When I installed it on my housing it came with an o-ring but I also put a tiny bit of RTV around the seal to make sure it wouldn't leak.

The install is pretty straight forward, just take off the old water pump, remove the cover on the front, using a hammer and punch drive out the shaft and remove the propeller. THen take a socket from the opposite side and drive out the seal and install the freeze plug. The CSR pump did take a little help from a dremmel to get it to sit in the housing but its nothing too bad.