LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Emergency HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 10:45 AM

Emergency HELP PLEASE

Just did a cam install, DID NOT REMOVE HEADS!, started it up and noticed a leak on the right rear side of the pan gasket. Milky white substance. I have water in my oil and don't know how it got there. The engine is running good and staying cool oil pressure is good, no smoke, no smell of burning coolant. Radiator fluid is fine, no oil in it. Just the other way around.

Is it possible that the oil cooler could be leaking water into the oil and causing this. Doesn't act like a blown head gasket. Your thoughts HELP Please!!
Old 03-04-2004, 11:04 AM

Maybe some condensation. All this rain we have had in FL the past couple of weeks. I had a little oil in my pan after my cam install and couldnt figure it out either. We just chaulked it up to the weather since we did it outside of my house. After a oil change or two I was fine, no water.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:49 PM

Was your car outside with the intake off and it rained? I know this sounds stupid but I did the intake oil leak repair last year and had the intake off for a couple of days while I cleaned it at work. Well it rained like 2 inches in those two days and I had water all in my lifter valley.

Luckily I had put rags in all of my ports leading to the valves but water got in the oil anyway. Did not know this and after 5 oil changes I had clean oil again.

I noticed later when the car was wet and I lifted the hood that water was running down the windshield and under the cowl. The cowl is in two piece and the seal (weather stripping)does not seal tight enough when the hood is down, so water was draining onto my intake which was not there at the time and going into my lifter valley.

Sorry this is so long but that is the only explanation I had for so much water in my oil. Maybe only my car leaks onto the intake but next time you wash your car raise the hood and see if the rear pass side of your intake is wet.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:07 PM

Probably when you had the timing cover off along with the water pump some water went into the oil pan.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:09 PM

Thanks guys it turned out to be just that, condensation and probably some rain water. Changed the oil and filter and it's fine now with the exception of a leak at the rear of the pan gasket.

Again thanks.