LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Engine Brackets...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 01:15 PM

Re: Engine Brackets...HELP!

You need to put a STOP to this madness now...spending $350 for that is INSANE, unless you're getting a tubular BMR one for that price. Either way, you DON'T need to replace the k-member so long as you have the V8 one out of the donor car. He's incorrect on the dual/single cat answer (see above). I have a stock 95Z k-member sitting in my backyard right now that you could have for $50 if you want to pick it up this weekend, I'm in San Diego county (Vista) also. My car is a dual cat and I recently installed a BMR tubular one.

Where are you having this done at??? My guess is they have the motor mounts wrong...it'll appear that they don't line up, but after you stare at them long enough, they DO work.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlownF1
You need to put a STOP to this madness now...spending $350 for that is INSANE, unless you're getting a tubular BMR one for that price. Either way, you DON'T need to replace the k-member so long as you have the V8 one out of the donor car. He's incorrect on the dual/single cat answer (see above). I have a stock 95Z k-member sitting in my backyard right now that you could have for $50 if you want to pick it up this weekend, I'm in San Diego county (Vista) also. My car is a dual cat and I recently installed a BMR tubular one.

Where are you having this done at??? My guess is they have the motor mounts wrong...it'll appear that they don't line up, but after you stare at them long enough, they DO work.
Top Flight Corvette is doing the work.

Maybe you could call and talk to him and say you are a buddy of mine :-/
Old 10-01-2004, 02:55 PM

Hmm, that's weird...I know Lawton (owner), and they generally seem to know their stuff down there, so that's quite surprising to me. There's gotta be some piece of the puzzle we're missing. Too many people have done this swap and the fact that there is only one part number to order one is telling. Is he ordering you a stock k-member for $350 or a tubular one? Are you SURE he got the V8 k-member out of the donor car and isn't trying to use the V6 one?

Me calling him won't do anything for you, but I'd da*n sure be down there finding out exactly what they claim won't line up before I paid $350.

Are you sure they're putting a V8 in there...maybe you got it backwards and they're swapping IN a V6!
Old 10-01-2004, 03:38 PM

Hmm, that's weird...I know Lawton (owner), and they generally seem to know their stuff down there, so that's quite surprising to me. There's gotta be some piece of the puzzle we're missing. Too many people have done this swap and the fact that there is only one part number to order one is telling. Is he ordering you a stock k-member for $350 or a tubular one? Are you SURE he got the V8 k-member out of the donor car and isn't trying to use the V6 one?

Me calling him won't do anything for you, but I'd da*n sure be down there finding out exactly what they claim won't line up before I paid $350.

Are you sure they're putting a V8 in there...maybe you got it backwards and they're swapping IN a V6!
Yeah, Lawton is the one that's telling me all this. He said there is two different part numbers for the k-member. I told him you had one from a 95 car and he asked how many bolt holes are in the k-member. Do you think you could check that for me?

Maybe I'm just not hearing it right and there is something else missing, but if your k-member will work, then I'll be alot happier. At this point I'm just wanting to get my car back, it's been a while
Old 10-01-2004, 04:43 PM

just a thought, if you bought this motor, tranny and kmember out of the same donor car then the motor would of been bolted to the Kmember once before so tells you the motor mounts must work.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:25 AM

Dunno...strangest thing I ever heard. There are 2 different numbers, one for V6 and one for V8...that's the only 2 I know of. Anyways, I brought mine to work today and you can check it out and match it up. Give me a call...I private emailed you the number.

If for some reason it doesn't work, I'd pick up a BMR tubular one and gain lots of access versus spending $350 on a stock one.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:34 AM

Dunno...strangest thing I ever heard. There are 2 different numbers, one for V6 and one for V8...that's the only 2 I know of. Anyways, I brought mine to work today and you can check it out and match it up. Give me a call...I private emailed you the number.

If for some reason it doesn't work, I'd pick up a BMR tubular one and gain lots of access versus spending $350 on a stock one.
Replied to your email, as you know... I'll be sure to ask Lawton if he is trying to put on the V6 one.. but I'm pretty sure the endinge I got came with the V8 k-member, so I'm not sure what the deal is
Old 10-04-2004, 07:30 PM

The story sounds like a load of . The engine mount brackets are the same 93-97 for the LT1. Another k-member is a total waste of good money.

The early/late 95 stuff is , too.

You can also put any headers you want on it. Just a matter of connecting the y-pipe and cat as needed.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:19 AM

Dunno what the issue was, but Mike picked up my stock k-member (95 dual cat car), dropped it off to the shop and they said it will work. The shop doing the work is very knowledgeable and reputable, so I don't know what the issue was, but Mike's going to try to find out so we'll all know.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:00 AM

$350 for just the used factory K-member is insane!! I am having trouble getting $150 for my 94 K-member with both upper and lower a-arms! It would cost $90 in shipping for me to get that across country though. Either way, you could technically get one from me for ~$160-170 shipped, and that's coming from Michigan! You're getting screwed man...