LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Engine Installation HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 08:23 PM

Engine Installation HELP PLEASE!!!

I have been trying to install my rebuilt engine for a total of about 8 hours now but cant seem to get it seated flush with the bellhousing. the clutch is aligned perfectly with a clutch alignment tool. the pilot bushing is installed correctly. the clutch fork is not in the way. i cannot think of any reason why it wont slip in. i can have the dowels aligned with the holes in the bellhousing but cant get them closer than a half inch apart. I remember when i had to take out my transmission to do the clutch the gearbox had to come off, then the bellhousing. do i need to remove the bellhousing from the transmission, bolt it to the engine, align the input shaft, then bolt the bellhousing to transmission??? please help.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:42 PM

Re: Engine Installation HELP PLEASE!!!

I know I have always removed the tranny and then pull the motor with the bell housing attached. Probably not the easiest way since you have to muscle the tranny back in after the engine is seated.

Did you paint the bell housing? I know a couple of times I have had to used the bolts that bolt the bell housing and the block together to pull the two together. Just get a couple started on each side and tighten them in an X pattern a little at a time until it pulls it together
Old 08-11-2004, 09:42 AM

Re: Engine Installation HELP PLEASE!!!

Get the transmission up and started in as far as it will go. Try releashing the throw out bearing by pushing on the throw out bear arm. That will releash the clutch plate and usually allow the tranny to slide in. Had the same problem with a Mc Leod street twin, could'nt get it in the last half inch. Pushed on the throw out bearing arm, and it slid right in.