engine oil temp

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:38 PM

engine oil temp

what causes high engine oil temp???
Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 PM

What temp. is oil and where are you reading it. D Mc
Old 08-15-2007, 07:59 PM

i don't know what the exact temp is but it is on the higher end of the gauge hottest being 320.. i was running 5w-30(conventional oil) and switched to 5W-50 synthetic and it lower the temp a bit but its still seems really high..
Old 08-16-2007, 11:29 AM

ttt?? anyone?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 AM

what kind of gauge are you using to measure the oil temp and where is the sensor located
Old 08-16-2007, 12:18 PM

Are you driving it on the street when its reading 320?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:34 PM

holy ****... can anyone answer the question. i have an oil temp gauge that comes stock and it has a sensor which is located right above the oil filter.. now that all that much needed information is on the table. it doesn't go to 320.. 320 is the highest reading and the needle is 3/4 the way over.. so it is running somewhat hot. i know this cause it use to be around the 215 mark which is the lower side of the gauge..
Old 08-16-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by red94chicken
holy ****... can anyone answer the question. i have an oil temp gauge that comes stock and it has a sensor which is located right above the oil filter.. now that all that much needed information is on the table. it doesn't go to 320.. 320 is the highest reading and the needle is 3/4 the way over.. so it is running somewhat hot. i know this cause it use to be around the 215 mark which is the lower side of the gauge..
Why don't you calm your swampass down and let some people try to get a little bit of information out of you before you start in w/ all the stupidass attitude? Thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 12:49 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong... but no f-body ever came with a "stock oil temp gauge". Only oil pressure, water temp, volts, and fuel level are the only "stock gauges"
Old 08-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Why don't you calm your swampass down and let some people try to get a little bit of information out of you before you start in w/ all the stupidass attitude? Thanks
well i asked a question.. i would like to ask a question and possible have someone give an answer instead of asking me questions on where i am getting my info from.. does i matter, is it relavant, no.. just asking a question.. if you don't have the answer don't post. if you have the answer why not post what info you have on the subject.. i am sure knowing that my 96 corvette comes with a factory engine oil temp gauge with the sensor above the oil filter isn't going to answer the question of what causes high engine oil temp. would it matter if i installed a autometer oil temp gauge in the same location on a camaro or trans am? i would still be getting the high oil temp reading that i am inquiring about wouldn't i?? you tell me.. hell what if it was even if it was just in theory and i just was wondering.. that info would need to be gone over, would it? if there is something there that i am missing please feel free to try and make me look like an ever bigger jerk. thanks!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM

well i asked a question.. i would like to ask a question and possible have someone give an answer instead of asking me questions on where i am getting my info from.. does i matter, is it relavant, no.. just asking a question.. if you don't have the answer don't post. if you have the answer why not post what info you have on the subject.. i am sure knowing that my 96 corvette comes with a factory engine oil temp gauge with the sensor above the oil filter isn't going to answer the question of what causes high engine oil temp. would it matter if i installed a autometer oil temp gauge in the same location on a camaro or trans am? i would still be getting the high oil temp reading that i am inquiring about wouldn't i?? you tell me.. hell what if it was even if it was just in theory and i just was wondering.. that info would need to be gone over, would it? if there is something there that i am missing please feel free to try and make me look like an ever bigger jerk. thanks!
Ah so now we know what kind of car it is, we may now proceed

It would help if you had a signature stating what the car is and or any mods done.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:28 PM

First off, as you should know this is a f-body forum. When you give no indication as to what vehicle you're asking questions about members assume you have a f-body therefore questions are raised. It would also help to specify what mods are done, if any.
Your question is extremely broad. When you state high oil temps, when does it happen? What kind of driving conditions? What is the normal temp and what do you consider hot? Do you auto cross or road race?
If you can't answer some basic questions and want to show an attitude then why bother helping you?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:33 PM

what causes high engine oil temp???
I have the answer.

In thermodynamics, a thermodynamic system, originally called a working substance, is defined as that part of the universe that is under consideration. A real or imaginary boundary separates the system from the rest of the universe, which is referred to as the environment or surroundings (sometimes called a reservoir.) A useful classification of thermodynamic systems is based on the nature of the boundary and the quantities flowing through it, such as matter, energy, work, heat, and entropy. A system can be anything, for example a piston, a solution in a test tube, a living organism, or a planet, etc.

In thermodynamics, an adiabatic process or an isocaloric process is a thermodynamic process in which no heat is transferred to or from the working fluid. The term "adiabatic" literally means impassable (from a dia bainein), corresponding here to an absence of heat transfer. For example, an adiabatic boundary is a boundary that is impermeable to heat transfer and the system is said to be adiabatically (or thermally) insulated; an insulated wall approximates an adiabatic boundary. Another example is the adiabatic flame temperature, which is the temperature that would be achieved by a flame in the absence of heat loss to the surroundings. An adiabatic process that is reversible is also called a isentropic process.

The opposite extreme -- of maximum heat transfer with the surroundings, causing the temperature to remain constant -- is known as an isothermal process. Since temperature is thermodynamically conjugate to entropy, the isothermal process is conjugate to the adiabatic process for reversible transformations.

A transformation of a thermodynamic system can be considered adiabatic when it is quick enough that no significant heat is transferred between the system and the outside. The adiabatic process can also be called quasi-static. At the opposite, a transformation of a thermodynamic system can be considered isothermal if it is slow enough so that the system's temperature remains constant by heat exchange with the outside.

The coefficient of friction (also known as the frictional coefficient) is a dimensionless scalar value which describes the ratio of the force of friction between two bodies and the force pressing them together. The coefficient of friction depends on the materials used -- for example, ice on steel has a low coefficient of friction (the two materials slide past each other easily), while rubber on pavement has a high coefficient of friction (the materials do not slide past each other easily). Coefficients of friction range from near zero to greater than one - under good conditions, a tire on concrete may have a coefficient of friction of 1.7.

When the surfaces are adhesive, Coulomb friction becomes a very poor approximation (for example, Scotch tape resists sliding even when there is no normal force, or a negative normal force). In this case, the frictional force may depend strongly on the area of contact. Some drag racing tires are adhesive in this way.

The force of friction is always exerted in a direction that opposes movement (for kinetic friction) or potential movement (for static friction) between the two surfaces. For example, a curling stone sliding along the ice experiences a kinetic force slowing it down. For an example of potential movement, the drive wheels of an accelerating car experience a frictional force pointing forward; if they did not, the wheels would spin, and the rubber would slide backwards along the pavement. Note that it is not the direction of movement of the vehicle they oppose, it is the direction of (potential) sliding between tire and road.

The coefficient of friction is an empirical measurement -- it has to be measured experimentally, and cannot be found through calculations. Rougher surfaces tend to have higher values. Most dry materials in combination have friction coefficient values between 0.3 and 0.6. Values outside this range are rarer, but Teflon, for example, can have a coefficient as low as 0.04. A value of zero would mean no friction at all, an elusive property--even Magnetic levitation vehicles have drag. Rubber in contact with other surfaces can yield friction coefficients from 1.0 to 2.

But of course I thought everyone knew that.

Last edited by wrd1972; 08-17-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
First off, as you should know this is a f-body forum. When you give no indication as to what vehicle you're asking questions about members assume you have a f-body therefore questions are raised. It would also help to specify what mods are done, if any.
Your question is extremely broad. When you state high oil temps, when does it happen? What kind of driving conditions? What is the normal temp and what do you consider hot? Do you auto cross or road race?
If you can't answer some basic questions and want to show an attitude then why bother helping you?
its growing apparent that you don't have the answer so i am not going to battle wits with you anymore.. thanks though.. i will just go find out somewhere else..
Old 08-17-2007, 04:40 PM

its growing apparent that you don't have the answer so i am not going to battle wits with you anymore.. thanks though.. i will just go find out somewhere else..
You are right. I don't have an answer to such a generic question. Oil temperature can increase for a variety of reasons. You want to continue being difficult and cryptic perhaps you should look up the emo groups on myspace. Maybe they'll have your answer.
Oh hell... let me take a stab at it...
Engine oil temperature increases cuz it gets hot...

Quick Reply: engine oil temp