LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

engine removal out front?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:18 PM

Question engine removal out front?

my lt1 in my 95 z28 6-speed is completely gone i was hopeing itd last longer but didnt im looking at pulling the motor right out the front of the car i have no intrest in going from the bottom. im wanting to pull the whole front end off the car pull motor and tranny out for rebuild on both.
does anyone have any pics of how the bumper cpmes off? not the cover but the bumper. ive searched old threads for a hour now and cant get the info lol

thanks.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 PM

Re: engine removal out front?

No need to remove the bumper unless you need to repair it. Use a happy hooker http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/parts-...t-adapter.html
Old 05-06-2011, 06:49 PM

well the bumper has to come off sometime due to the guy i bought the car from hit something.
but ill look into the happy hooker
Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 PM

You can't pull it out the front. You can from the top. There is unibody structure in the front that cannot be removed (unless you are going to cut your car to pieces).

http://shbox.com/1/ftbumper.jpg
Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 PM

the front bumper does not unbolt from the car ? i thought id seen this befor. maybe not
Old 05-06-2011, 08:33 PM

The bumper unbolts just like every other bumper, but its removal is not required when pulling the engine out the top OR bottom.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 PM

thats what im saying. yall are missing thepoint. the inner and outer bumper needs to be replaced. why wouldnt it make since to pull them off tobe replaced when i pull the motor then ill have more room togo out the top?

thanks everyone for the responses. maybe im still missing something todo with why it cant be done. ima just try it and if it dont work i reckon i just wasted time is all and learned in the process.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:38 PM

The reason you can't pull the motor out the FRONT is because the radiator support is welded to the frame horns, unlike the first- and Second-gen cars, which had bolt-in core supports. In terms of pulling your motor out the top, removing the bumper will have no effect on the ease with which the engine can be removed, as it's in front of the aforementioned radiator support.

To answer the original question, there are three bolts holding the bumper to the frame horn on each side. If you look at Shoebox's diagram, locate #40 and follow the lines on that image back to the thing that has three "ears" on it. That is your frame horn. On the back side of each of these ears, you'll find the place to put your wrench. Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:56 PM

thanks allot the answered everything i was asking. i knewthe bumper came off i just didnt understand the radiator support was welded in there.
thanks for the help everyone. sorry it took so long for meto understand what everyone was saying.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:13 AM

I explained it. Unibody construction. A look under the hood makes it obvious.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 AM

I know you expressed no interest in going through the bottom but it is extremely simple. I just did mine yesterday and wanted to share this. my front cover was already off since I am replacing the header but it is not necessary as previously stated. i started on the ground and removed all necessary components.

Name:  2011-05-07_13-56-52_539.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  100.8 KB

Last edited by drennon1; 05-08-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Now an hour later I raised the car on jack stands in the front and some wheel ramps in the back. Then removed everything else that is needed.

Name:  2011-05-07_15-09-09_340.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  79.2 KB
Old 05-08-2011, 08:54 AM

And finally with two hours total time and my dad to help me work the engine hoist, while I was making sure nothing was getting hung up, we lowered motor and tranny onto a atv lift and rolled it out. It is very simple and straight forward but this is just my two cents.

Name:  2011-05-07_16-46-12_474.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  121.7 KB
Old 05-08-2011, 09:24 AM

I have removed with happy hooker several times out the top and it is very easy. I would suggest removing the bumper before you remove engine give more clearance for the engine crane and you need to remove the bumper anyways.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:23 AM

Removing the bumper takes about 5 minutes. Take it off and you'll also be able to stand a little closer to the car and not worry about dropping a wrench on it.

I have pulled the motor out the top every time with my car- takes about 3 hrs and the motor/trans can be out. Some swear out the bottom, some swear out the top. Both have advantages/disadvantages. My buddy wants to do a cam/head swap this summer, I will prol try the bottom method this time around. I know most will say you don't have to pull the motor to do heads/cam but I figure it will be easier to pull the motor/trans out instead of trying to fight with the head/stock exhaust manifold bolts in the car. Plus with a clutch swap being talked about as well the car is going to be up in the air either way.

Quick Reply: engine removal out front?