LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

engine removal.. top or bottom??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 09:05 PM

engine removal.. top or bottom??

im pulling my engine soon and im trying to figure wich way is easiest. has anyone done it both ways? any input would help
thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 09:13 PM

Re: engine removal.. top or bottom??

I have only pulled the motor from the bottom, but it was simple. I have heard people say it's easier than from the top, but don't know for sure. I chose to do it from the bottom because everyone that I talked to who had removed one before said the bottom was the easiest. If you decide to remove from the bottom, it only took me 2 1/2 hours the very first time I did it. And that was by myself. Hopefully someone can shed some light on removal from the top.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:15 PM

Take it out through the bottom. Trust me.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:20 PM

Bottom
Old 12-09-2004, 09:27 PM

Topic has been covered many times; use the Search function!
Old 12-09-2004, 10:17 PM

ok u guys say bottom is easier, tell me why. ive had my engine basicly down to the block in the car and it seemed like it would be really easy to pull it from there through the top. i saw a step by step manual to take it through the bottom and it seemed kind of hard having to lift the car 4 feet in the air and once you get it out it just looks like a confusing mess of wires and hoses. just wondering why its easier through the bottom
Old 12-09-2004, 10:35 PM

If you have the block only, then yes, it might be easier to pull it out thorough the top, but if you plan to assembly it while it's outside of the car, then definetely install it through the bottom.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:46 PM

Well, heres my 2 cents. I just recently bought a wrecked Z28 with a 6 speed to put into my 94 which has over 130k and is an auto. Figured it would be a good winter project. I got the transmission out lastnite and TRYED pulling the motor tonite. Didnt happen. I should have done some research on it but instead i did it myself how you would usually pull a motor. Broke 2 sensors so far, cracked the PCM housing(don't ask) totally ***ed up the body of the car. At the moment the motor is half way out with the harmonic balancer pressed against the core support and the back of the motor stuck under the lip under the windshield. Now im sure everyone including yourself is smarter then me and would disconnect all the accessories and EGR(anything sticking out on the back of the motor for that matter) but i did not. So i will deffinatly be pulling my motor and transmission from the bottom after im done with this car. Also i would think thats alot easyer because i am putting headers on my car so i can install them when the motor is out and just drop the body back on without clearance issues.

BTW, do you have thoes links handy for removeing it from the bottom? I want to make sure i know as much as possible about it this time around! Thanks.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:48 PM

That's the beauty of the bottom method...you can pretty much leave everything attached. I've done several, and prefer the bottom now.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by SSmoked
Well, heres my 2 cents. I just recently bought a wrecked Z28 with a 6 speed to put into my 94 which has over 130k and is an auto. Figured it would be a good winter project. I got the transmission out lastnite and TRYED pulling the motor tonite. Didnt happen. I should have done some research on it but instead i did it myself how you would usually pull a motor. Broke 2 sensors so far, cracked the PCM housing(don't ask) totally ***ed up the body of the car. At the moment the motor is half way out with the harmonic balancer pressed against the core support and the back of the motor stuck under the lip under the windshield. Now im sure everyone including yourself is smarter then me and would disconnect all the accessories and EGR(anything sticking out on the back of the motor for that matter) but i did not. So i will deffinatly be pulling my motor and transmission from the bottom after im done with this car. Also i would think thats alot easyer because i am putting headers on my car so i can install them when the motor is out and just drop the body back on without clearance issues.

BTW, do you have thoes links handy for removeing it from the bottom? I want to make sure i know as much as possible about it this time around! Thanks.
Where is the damage on the 6 speed? It might be easier just to swap cradles, but yes, if you plan to do headers, it would be much easier to do while the engine is out. Do yourself a favor and replace the motor mounts at the same time.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:01 PM

Well, believe it or not i was going to try and pull the transmission out of the top with the motor. My buddy saved me from that mistake. Wow, now that i think about it, it would of been much easyer to switch cradles! Everything on the wrecked one too is in better shape, considering it only has 58k on it. That sucks, live and learn i guess.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:10 PM

Bottom.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

I had another one that i followed closer but i cant find it.

Brandon
Old 12-09-2004, 11:49 PM

why couldnt you leave the wheels on and roll it out, cause that is what i plan on doing
Old 12-10-2004, 12:12 AM

You can. Taking them off just gives you more access to the car when taking the carrage bolts off. You can leave them on, support the tranny with a jack, and roll them both out at the same time. You will have to probably lift the car up even higher with them left on though.

Brandon
Old 12-10-2004, 12:14 AM

I pulled and install mines from the top and didn't have any problems at all. Never tried it from the bottom though...but then again, I don't plan on making a habit of pulling the motor either.

Quick Reply: engine removal.. top or bottom??