LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

engine removal.. top or bottom??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 01:01 AM

Re: engine removal.. top or bottom??

I've done it both ways many times on my own and others cars (LS1, LT1, makes no difference). On my own car, I've yanked it twice from the top and once from the bottom (with a lift). From the bottom with a lift was total cake. Without a lift is a little different story, as you have to get the body high enough to clear the assembly, and that can be kinda tough.

Pulling it from the top isn't that difficult either, just don't try and cut corners. Pull EVERYTHING off the front, up to and including the crank hub and things will go much smoother for you. Leaving the trans bolted up to the motor actually makes it EASIER to come out the top since it tilts the whole thing up naturally and makes it clear easier.

Sum up.
* Bottom is a whole lot easier/better IF you have the proper equipment. Takes about 3 hours and it's sitting on the engine stand (start to finish).

* Top is what most folks end up doing. Takes about a good 5 hours if your working alone. Help is ALWAYS handy, and cuts the time down..

Up to you. It's not that bad either way..

Dave C.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by CCCCCYA
I've done it both ways many times on my own and others cars (LS1, LT1, makes no difference). On my own car, I've yanked it twice from the top and once from the bottom (with a lift). From the bottom with a lift was total cake. Without a lift is a little different story, as you have to get the body high enough to clear the assembly, and that can be kinda tough.

Pulling it from the top isn't that difficult either, just don't try and cut corners. Pull EVERYTHING off the front, up to and including the crank hub and things will go much smoother for you. Leaving the trans bolted up to the motor actually makes it EASIER to come out the top since it tilts the whole thing up naturally and makes it clear easier.

Sum up.
* Bottom is a whole lot easier/better IF you have the proper equipment. Takes about 3 hours and it's sitting on the engine stand (start to finish).

* Top is what most folks end up doing. Takes about a good 5 hours if your working alone. Help is ALWAYS handy, and cuts the time down..

Dave C.
I left the tranny in the car when I pulled the motor. There should be some pictures of it in my sig.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by CCCCCYA
Sum up.

Dave C.
Took mine out the bottom by myself and didn't need any more proper equipment than a floor jack.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Took mine out the bottom by myself and didn't need any more proper equipment than a floor jack.
Same here except i used two jacks

Brandon
Old 12-14-2004, 07:54 PM

thanks for all the replys i think im going through the bottom