LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Engine without trans out the bottom

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 04:04 PM

Engine without trans out the bottom

I know many like to pull the engine through the bottom. Problem is, I had only planned on pulling the trans (coming back from CPT next week) but now want to pull the motor for header install/head gaskets. I have a rounded bolt on the exhaust man and don't have room for EZout. I would like to put the whole package up from the bottom.

Is there a way anybody can think of that I could support the engine alone well enough to pull it out this way? I'm afraid that when I lift the body up, the engine will just fall over without the trans helping to support it.

Or am I better off pulling it from the top then taking out the k-member for the install afterwards?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:54 PM

Re: Engine without trans out the bottom

nobody?
Guess I'll have to pull it out top.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:05 PM

Drop it out the bottom and use a jack under the Kmember to keep it steady...No big deal
Old 08-14-2005, 09:12 PM

umm, everytime i have done it through the bottom i have had a lift at disposal, and used a couple pallets under the k/engine/tranny for support so it wouldnt fall

this last time, i pulled the entire thing up from the engine bay. either way it seemed about the same to me. had to take the radiator and stuff out, but that wasnt hard.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:46 AM

You can have that engine out in about 3 hours if you work diligently.

Drop it out the bottom.

You'll want some solid 4" thick concrete blocks to put under your jack, and to rest the body on when you get the engine out. We used 20 when we did my friend's car.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:04 PM

I know how it's done, but I won't have the tranny attatched to help support the engine. This is my dilema. What's to stop the engine from just rolling over if no tranny attatched?

I was hoping somebody else ran into this and had a trick or two.

I appreciate the responses but you guys aren't reading the whole post.

Would it be a bad idea to put the jack under the oil pan with some wood dunage? I need to stop it from falling over once I unbolt K member and lift the body.

Last edited by chuckd4more; 08-15-2005 at 05:07 PM. Reason: adding question
Old 08-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Banned

Just pull the tranny with it and you will know.
Then ya don't have to go through the brain damage of will it work or not.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:38 PM

i used two cinderblocks
and i dropped the whole front suspension tires and all not just the K member, makes it a little easier to balence/move the motor
Old 08-16-2005, 08:03 AM

I would think that two small or one large rolling floor jacks under the k-member would keep it from rolling over on you and let you get it out of there without hurting it.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:14 PM

Now that I think about it...I believe I just had the Jack stands under the K -member.....Because I had the Jack under the tranny pan before I took the 2 apart...the the motor just set in place....Just had the 2 jack stands holding it....Just gotta put them in the right spots.....and it will work.....the motor mounts help it up right...that was because of where I had the stands setting.....
Old 08-21-2005, 06:29 PM

Hey... when i pulled my lt1 out the bottom w/o the tranny. I supported the engine with a cherry picker through the top. It still balances pretty well with out the tranny and most cherry pickers are tall enough to chain up the motor then let it down after the car is in the air...

Then again i guess you need a cherry picker for that
Old 08-21-2005, 09:11 PM

I just did the very same thing. I had the trans, clutch and flywheel out and decided to go ahead and drop the K member to get the motor out. I welded up a steel dolly with castor wheels, lifted the whole front of the car up and set it on the dolly. I already had the brake lines, electrical connectors, etc., loose. Took out the three bolts from each side, lifted the car up and rolled the K member complete with hubs, struts, engine, and everything else out from under the car. There is not enough weight on the back end of the motor to make it tip back.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:29 PM

Well I do have a cherry picker. I ended up taking it out the top. Might consider putting it in from the bottom though. Will be easier as I will have the tranny back by Monday.

I am at a crossroads now on whether or not to rebuild while I have it out. I guess I'll wait till the heads come off and see what the cylinders look like first.

As far as the engine ballancing pretty good by itself. My worries stemmed from the engine wanting to bang up on the firewall with the tranny out. That was while still on the mounts so I could only imagine what would happen if I went and lifted the car off without the proper support.

Thanx for the responses.