LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Estimated Hp with setup-and help me choose next mod!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 02:31 AM

Re: Estimated Hp with setup-and help me choose next mod!

Thanks guys, yea its a 96 z28 6 spd---
Old 07-02-2005, 10:56 AM

i just jumped up to the 3.73 gearset a week ago in my m6. i'm doing a lot more shifting now and my results have been anything but minimal. i dunno i definately notice a difference.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:08 PM

you also have a 93
Old 07-03-2005, 08:16 PM

I decided to go with the 4.10 and a madz28 tune for my next mods. I dont even think the injectors are bigger, the lady probably didnt know what she was talking about, but I know they are new .... she gave me the receipt.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

I say 240hp....

Probably down -10hp from the edeljunks and Choke masters.

I recco MAc Midlenghs $350-400

SLP loudmouth $345

4.10 gears $200

Last edited by Heatmaker; 07-03-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:56 PM

Um, ok .... thanks bro
Old 07-04-2005, 01:29 AM

I wouldnt suggest going with the 4:10's on a stock 10-bolt unless you have the money to replace it for a 12-bolt. I wouldnt go any higher then 3:73's. I still would be scared to make any passes on them gears. I would say change over to some Longtube headers that will probably give ya some of the biggest gains as far as bolt-on mods go. You need to do it eventually anyway, if their are future plans for cam/heads etc.. Pacesetters Ceramic Coated are nice on the pockets. Gut the cats if you have any, throw on a cutout(electric ones are sweet and easy). Throttle Body is useless for now, not worth the money. Going to need some good rubber of course. For that size wheel your looking at Nittos or maybe some BFG's. Get all of the free mods taken care of, Throttle Body bypass etc.. A tune is up there on the list for sure. I hear the ram air airbox will give ya a couple mph in the 1/4 over the cold air. Also you need to start throwing some money into the suspension. These cars are very good at doing burnouts Control arms, adj. panhard rod, torque arm, subframe connectors etc.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=96trans am]I wouldnt suggest going with the 4:10's on a stock 10-bolt unless you have the money to replace it for a 12-bolt. QUOTE]

WHy not? I've been running 4.10's for the past 3 years on my 10bolt... plenty of burnouts, doughnuts, track passes, and street races, clutch dumps, and so far the only thing I ever broke was my transmission, and clutch.

It's tractions that kills 10 bolts, not gears.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:19 AM

Everyone's talking about gears, don't forget 1.6 Rocker arms and if you have money consider looking at a cam & heads.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:53 AM

IMO that makes no sence to get gears and depend on spinning off the line. Yeah you may save a rear compared to hooking up but your times are sufferring terribly. That just doesnt sound like the right way to go to me. My statement about the rears not holding up w/4:10's was made thinking atleast he would like to get some traction not depending on spinning off the launch. My clutch went then the rear. Yeah there are def. some guys running 4:10's on here with luck, or maybe just taking it easy but drag racing is nothing but easy on the car, so you will be taking your chances.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:06 AM

Talking Re: Estimated Hp with setup-and help me choose next mod!

96 trans, that was a great post, thanks for all of your suggestions!!! Do the longtubes clear and mount as easily as the shorties did or is there a little more shimmying to do?! What are cutouts.....especially electric ones. I am guessing its a way to go with NO muffler and the electric part will open and close it when you are in the car!!! That sounds SWEET!!! Toeged, your suggestions were appreciated too. I will go 1.6 rocker arms...but do I need new custom covers for them to clear or will the stock ones clear?! What is a good strong STREET cam as this is my daily driver. I heard the lt1 heads were actually pretty good....so I was just planning on getting them ported. Will that be a good idea or just getting new heads ( shoot me a good set of aftermarket heads as a suggestion ). How much is porting usually?! Do they make a nice motor stiffening bar (forgot the real name , lol), and do you think I can use traction bars with the 315/35/17 11" meats on the rear or will they rub ( or is there a better alternative to t.bars? ). I am using the yoko tires right now but when they go I am going to use the gforce bfg's. I use the old school comp ta bfg's on my 67' (275/60/15's). THANKS GUYS!!!---
Old 07-04-2005, 10:11 AM

Cool Re: Estimated Hp with setup-and help me choose next mod!

[QUOTE=96trans am]Get all of the free mods taken care of, Throttle Body bypass etc..QUOTE]

I am VERY interested in the free mods , I have only taken out the screen of the maf. What is the tb bypass mod and what is the ect ( I dont know any more stuff, lol). I appreciate it brotha---
Old 07-04-2005, 10:29 AM

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm has the free mods. Maybe i shouldnt have put etc. because there really arent too many more . Throttle Body Bypass is relatively easy, your just doing what it says, bypassing the coolant lines so it doesnt run through the throttle body. Cutout is a nice mod, but electric ones can be expensive. I have a DMH electric cutout but is costly($300??). The motors dont seem to last too long, but DMH has (I think) a 3 or 4 year warranty on them. You can just go with a regular cutout for $20-$30 if you want and get dirty when you want to open it up lol. You can always add the electric part later. I did the 1.6's and there was some power gained. No clearance problems. Personally if i were you id wait to i do the heads/cam install to put in the 1.6RR's. I wouldnt take it all apart just for that. If i were you id get all the bolt-ons first before worrying about heads/cam unless you have the money to do it all right now. Heads/Cam is expensive and a LOT to think about. What heads/cam is probably one of the hardest decisions to make. So while doing your bolt-ons start doing some reading/posting on heads/cam. Its a rough decision to make, so many options. Although heads/cam is the way to go im building up the valvetrain, throwing in a cam, buying all other things i need (TB,Injectors, timing chain etc.), and keeping the stock heads for now. My suggestion would be to save and do it all at once, but im on a budget. I would look into a heads cam package by Joe Overton(LethalEFI.com) or Lloyd Elliot, someone chime in with his site.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:37 AM

I noticed that site said LS1 mods, will most of those work on my lt1 too? How much does Lloyd charge for porting, I asked in a thread with pics of his work with NO response. Thanks-
Old 07-04-2005, 11:02 AM

TB Bypass is all over the internet but heres a site. http://www.westol.com/~brettd/corvette/tbcool.html
Heres Lloyds Website
http://www.eportworks.com/
Heres Joe Overtons Website
http://www.lethalefi.com

Joe is custom grinding me a camshaft right now. Hes grinded most people's cams i know around here, and is pretty respected. Hear a lot of nice stories about his work. Very hard to get in touch with though, but seems to be worth the wait. Ill let ya know how my car turns out.

Quick Reply: Estimated Hp with setup-and help me choose next mod!