LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ever shipped an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 02:42 PM

Ever shipped an engine?

If so, who did you use and how much did it cost you? (Details such as liftgate service at both ends, etc. would be helpful also)

I've gotten some estimates, but all the major shippers have been incredibly expensive ($500+) while some that I've never heard of are far more reasonable ($160-280). Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2005, 02:57 PM

Re: Ever shipped an engine?

AAA Cooper if you are in the South East Mine was 225 shipped from florida to Texas and all I had to do was go to the hub and pick it up...
Old 05-20-2005, 02:57 PM

It's just like anything else, shop around and take the best deal.

When I ordered my short block from the other side of the state, a couple hundred miles, it was delivered to the mechanic the next day for around a hundred bucks.

Most likely it would be delivered by truck on a pallet. So it depends on when they have a truck going your way (or a train if waaaay cross country) and whether you have them pick it up from your place, etc.

Again, just shop around, there's lot of competition.JMHO
Old 05-20-2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
It's just like anything else, shop around and take the best deal.
It saves a little wear and tear to have a better idea of where to shop first...
Old 05-20-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by jimlab
If so, who did you use and how much did it cost you? (Details such as liftgate service at both ends, etc. would be helpful also)

I've gotten some estimates, but all the major shippers have been incredibly expensive ($500+) while some that I've never heard of are far more reasonable ($160-280). Any recommendations?

Thanks!
This can be a can of worms ...

Best pricing is when it's coming from someone who has a "deal" with a major carrier like Yellow Freight or Roadway, is not a single shipment on that particular pickup, no lift gate is required and it's going to another business or a local terminal where you pick it up.

Another problem is packaging and declaring a value. I would suggest an engine stand like Jeg's P/N 550-1005 bolted to a pallet and then enclosed in a box made from plywood which fits over the entire engine and bolts to the pallet. The pallet should be big enough that the engine won't tip over if it is rocked up 30 degrees or so.

Unless you specify a value, you'll only get back so many $/lb if there is damage or loss. I'd be hesitant to ship an expensive engine like yours, Jim, without insuring it for replacement value. That's another reason to cover it completely with a crate. It's less likely to attract attention. Declared value boosts the cost, of course.

Would I ship a $15K engine on less than a name carrier without a declared value? Not a chance!

How far are you shipping it? If it's less than a day's drive, the safest way is to schlep it yourself in a pickup, or even a rented SUV! I've seen that done by an engine builder.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by OldSStroker
Another problem is packaging and declaring a value. I would suggest an engine stand like Jeg's P/N 550-1005 bolted to a pallet and then enclosed in a box made from plywood which fits over the entire engine and bolts to the pallet. The pallet should be big enough that the engine won't tip over if it is rocked up 30 degrees or so.
No problem on the packaging...

http://www.rx7club.com/attachment.ph...d=113354&stc=1
http://www.rx7club.com/attachment.ph...d=113355&stc=1

Unless you specify a value, you'll only get back so many $/lb if there is damage or loss. I'd be hesitant to ship an expensive engine like yours, Jim, without insuring it for replacement value.
Yep.

How far are you shipping it? If it's less than a day's drive, the safest way is to schlep it yourself in a pickup, or even a rented SUV! I've seen that done by an engine builder.
St. Louis is more than a day's drive, unfortunately.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimlab

Thanks!

Just left Spokane a few months ago.

I got a engine storage stand and used nylon straps to hold engine on then built a plywood crate and used more straps to hold it in place. I built it 3 sides and a bottom,put it in the truck and used the cherry picker to put engine in crate,finished crate in truck and took it to Overnight Trucking. They took it off with a forklift. Cost $326.00 to ship to Mobile. Picked it up at the depot and they loaded it with a forklift.Brought it home and reversed procedured it and put it on engine stand. Crate was 3/8" plywood 4x4's underneath and 2x4 corner's cost about a hundred for wood,screws and banding.The crate and engine arrived without a scratch,but I tend to over build stuff and ya could have run a dozer over the crate and not hurt it.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:12 PM

Yep done it a couple of times.
I believe it was around $350 -$400 to send my last motor from Charleston To Wisconson. I used Forward air and droped it off at the terminal. Another note, If you can find a local parts store or engine swap place that has a spare engine crate it shre makes life a lot easier, sometimes a local dealer will even have one.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:15 PM

Thanks folks, but I don't have a problem with crating the engine. I have the plastic engine crate that it arrived from B&B Performance in.