LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

every single knock retard table zeroed out, still pulling timing??!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:48 PM

every single knock retard table zeroed out, still pulling timing??!

To further complicate my problems with my car, this is getting very frustrating.

I have alot of timing retard problems, I sent the PCM into madz28 and Ion desesitized the knock retard tables. Got the PCM back, the retard numbers are better but still pulling up to 8 degrees(was pulling up to 16 degrees). Then I email Ion and madz28 and tell him what the problem is, and I order a NEW PCM from him and he zeroed out every knock retard table and sends this new PCM to me. I hook up the PCM, and it STILL IS PULLING TIMING, the same way it always did. It's pulling up to 8 degrees, mostly at part throttle, after the car is warmed up mostly. I email him back he says he can't do anything more and will send me a picture of the timing tables, I'm waiting on them. I'm about to take make a video of my scanmaster AND hypertech scanner showing the retard the car is pulling.

ANy help here, how can this be?!
I am totally clueless, I tried everything. Disabling knock sensor by resistors, disconnecting, buying a new one, then programing the PCM, then getting a new PCM with it programmed out. Still pulling timing.

help?!

Brian
Old 02-20-2005, 10:13 PM

Re: every single knock retard table zeroed out, still pulling timing??!

i had Brian at pcm for less 0 out my knock and it works perfectly, but my car is a 94. you might have to do an OBD1 conversion to get it to work right, but im not sure. i dont know that much about the gm electronics.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 93turbo5oh
i had Brian at pcm for less 0 out my knock and it works perfectly, but my car is a 94. you might have to do an OBD1 conversion to get it to work right, but im not sure. i dont know that much about the gm electronics.
hehe, yeah spend another $400 for that and it still probably won't work right?? I shouldn't have to do that though, I am totally frustrated, and confused.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:40 PM

I have other people running on OBD2 and OBD1 with zeroed out KR tables and they are definetely not getting any KR. In fact, my car is programmed the same way and no KR here either. Really weird, but either way, I'm replying to your email right now.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by madwolf
I have other people running on OBD2 and OBD1 with zeroed out KR tables and they are definetely not getting any KR. In fact, my car is programmed the same way and no KR here either. Really weird, but either way, I'm replying to your email right now.

Yes i know it's wierd, it's like, it's possesed. I replied to your email, I will check to see if the EGR code is coming up and if the EGR system is activating, I'll let you know.

I'll also try messing with the knock sensor, I'll unplug it and see if it changes any of the knock numbers I'm getting. Right now I have a knock sensor hooked up to the PCM, but it's outside the block.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:51 PM

i do have my EGR turned off too.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hawk
I'll also try messing with the knock sensor, I'll unplug it and see if it changes any of the knock numbers I'm getting. Right now I have a knock sensor hooked up to the PCM, but it's outside the block.
And you do have it grounded to the block, even though its not screwed into the block? When you substituted a resistor for the sensor, what resistance did you use? How did you ground it to the block? And you have verified that you have the +5V reference signal, measured between the pin on the harness connector and the block?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
And you do have it grounded to the block, even though its not screwed into the block? When you substituted a resistor for the sensor, what resistance did you use? How did you ground it to the block? And you have verified that you have the +5V reference signal, measured between the pin on the harness connector and the block?
Yes, I took a hose clamp and put a wire to the outside of the knock sensor and ran that to a terminal lug which I put on an engine ground. I checked the ground and it's making contact.

When I substituted a resistor, I used whatever it was for the OBDII, 100k I read off the board and then grounded the other side of the resistor(I grounded it the same way used a terminal lug and one of the bolts on the engine).

I also just tried disconnecting the sensor as well.

ALl threee methods of trying to disable the sensor yield the same results like the PCM doesn't care at all, pulling up to 8 degrees at part throttle and when reving in idle. At WOT timing is zero retard.

I have NOT verified that I have a 5V reference signal, I will do that and see what I get.

Ion at madz28 says he is willing to look at my tune again and I will send back the PCM for him to look at, but he thinks that my tune is fine with all the tables zeroed out, still wierd. So assuming the tune is correct and the tables are zeroed out, this makes absolutely NO SENSE to me even Ion doesn't have a clue, what do I need to do buy a new car?? lol

Brian