LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Exhaust Popping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 08:13 PM

Exhaust Popping?

After I've started my car recently, i've noticed that the exhaust is popping at idle? Only does it once or twice but it's never done it before? Car seems to be running fine other that a rough idle, I just changed the plugs and wires? Any ideas?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:18 PM

What's the response like at part and full throttle? An intermittent pop at idle is most likely a mis-fire, caused by wires that are a.) arching, i.e., touching the exhaust components, or b.) wires are not snapped on fully to the plugs and/or optispark. I had the same issue...turns out I had a wire burning and arching on the #4 primary.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:26 PM

Well, response is normal, I'm not noticing a difference in power. This is all happening at idle. Checked the wires today, made sure they were all connected properly. I do have a slight exhaust leak coming from my I-pipe where it connects over the axle, but I wouldnt think that has anything to do with it. No flashing MIL to indicate a misfire and I dont see any arcing in the engine bay while totally dark.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:57 PM

I'm having the same prob. Any feedback is appreciated. I'm thinking 02s are a possibility.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:33 AM

After reading all the negs about Bosch o2s, i'm starting to think they're the culprit. Is there any way to test the sensors to see if they're functioning properly?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:48 PM

Hook up a scanner and see if they are reading correctly.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:22 PM

after i got new high flow cats i had the same deal, and i still do. The thing is that with any catalytic converter it has to reach a cirtain temp before it can properly catylze the exhaust; the richness ur engine runs after being started adds to the amount ur car will make that backfireing noise. Did u notice that after u have ur car runnin a while (enough to get the converters to the proper temp) then turn it off for a few mins and then get back in the car it wont make the backfire noise cuz its already up to temp?
Old 10-01-2003, 08:35 PM

My car does the same thing, and if you ease down on the gas and raise the RPMs just a little it will still do it but it is strong and feels fine. I been told it is the optiSpark though. Have any of you guys with this problem had water leaks?

Thanks Lee!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:10 PM

I had an exaust leak before my O2 sensors that caused me too run rich and my exaust would pop.....................i fixed the leak and the pop went away.............Just letting you know how i fixed my pop.

Chris
Old 10-03-2003, 06:54 AM

Has anyone found out anything about if it was bad O2 sensors or opti causing popping noise in exhaust at idle?

How hard is it to replace O2 sensors on passenger side of Camaro Z28 1997 model?

Should I get the exhaust manifold hold by running engine first of do it when it is cold?

Should I use AC Delco O2 Sensors or would Bosh Be Okay?

Thanks Lee!
Old 10-03-2003, 08:09 AM

Has everyone Fallen Asleep
Old 10-03-2003, 09:27 AM

First of all its not hard at all to change O2's.
Second use ac delco........................bosch's are ****.
Thirdly i dont know if that would cause the popping but it sure wouldnt hurt to change them out anyways.......................

Chris
Old 10-03-2003, 12:24 PM

Thanks Chris for your help! I really appreciate it!

I appreciate all your guys help!

Sorry I didn't mean to Hijack the thread!!!!

Thanks Lee!
Old 10-03-2003, 12:41 PM

I have the same problem in the mornings. However, when the temp goes up, the pop goes away. I just put in a new opti about 2-weeks ago.

F-Body drivers are: SMARTEST ON THE PLANET
Old 10-03-2003, 09:21 PM

I had popping at idle upon warm startup(ie:after I'd already driven the car). I noticed a lot of fuel tank pressure releasing when I'd go to get gas. Then when I started it back up it would pop just sitting there idling. So I permanently vented the gas tank at the white D shaped vent above the rear axle(drivers side) by removing the spring valve inside it. The popping went away and no more hissing when I loosen the gas cap.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Popping?