LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 12:17 PM

Exhaust Questions

OK, I found this and it got me thinking.

Has anyone here used this setup? I'd like to do LT headers at the same time- are the Pacesetters any good, and will they mate up to this x-pipe setup without too much difficulty? How much difference will there be between emission-legal and off-road headers power-wise? How big a PITA is is to install Pacesetter LTs? Tips? Thoughts? Observations on life?

I've never done headers and want to do this right the first time, so bear with me, guys. And be nice to me- it's my birthday tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:12 PM

Re: Exhaust Questions

pacesetters seem to be pretty easy to intall. mine were'nt bad at all, but then again i had both motor mounts undone and a hoist on the motor (i was putting it in). i like the pacesetters. they are not the best quality as far as the looks of the welds and stuff, but it does me good. i don't need 800 dollar headers. i like mine, but i had problems with the fitment. the passenger side was hitting the motor mount really bad. not many people have had this problem. it seems that pacesetter has quality control problems since every header isn't excactly the same as the last. overall, i'd get them again...hopefully i wont need to though. as far as hp numbers between smog and not, you wont see much of a difference. it's just a pain to have all those smog tubes flying around the engine compartment. i'm not sure if you could even be legal with the air hookups, even if you had cats. I'd like to see someone try it.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:49 PM

Well, with the engine still mounted inside the car, they were a real pain, but not impossible to do. For the drivers side, I disconnected the steering linkage and jacked the car up really high and slid the header in through the bottom. The passenger side, I took off the alternator, valve cover, starter motor, oil dipstick, and exhaust heat shields and got it in through the top. I agree with the above statement, the welds on the Pacesetter LTs are good, but are sloppy at the same time because weld beads are all over. I am guessing the headers are all machine automated welded.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:00 PM

Wow. About how much time did you spend on the job? And is spark plug access improved at all with the headers?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:50 PM

I spent a week, off and on, putting on the headers,y-pipe, and cat-back. Yes, plug access is greatly improved, but cylinder two is still a pain in the butt.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:03 PM

took me 20 minutes, both went in from top. DS is hitting the steering linkage big annoyance. but am happy with sound. i ahd engine almost completely apart hough doing mods in sig.