LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

is this a failing optispark?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 03:17 PM

is this a failing optispark?

I'm trying to help a local guy diagnose his 94 Z28. He said it hesitates really bad under load so I hooked it up to Datamaster and did some logging. The car ran perfect for about 10 minutes of driving and then the problem showed up. At partial throttle, near and around 2000 rpm the spark timing is retarded anywhere from 5-9*, however in most cases, there was 0 knock occuring to cause spark retard. Other times, it would knock and retard timing simultaneously and I suspected bad gas (93octane from Giant Eagle).
After reviewing the datalog and seeing retarded timing with no knock occuring I began to change my diagnosis towards the optispark but I wonder if anyone else has seen this first hand. There are no SES codes present, although the light did flash for a while when I first hooked up to the car. However, no DTC's showed up on Datamaster while this was taking place.
The car only hesitated when Datamaster showed retarded timing commanded by the PCM.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:41 PM

Re: is this a failing optispark?

Saw the exact same thing a few weeks ago on my friends car. We replaced the plugs (visual inspection was ok, but internally they were failed) and rechecked the wires. All was good after that.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:05 PM

I had the same problem. Turned out to be a cracked plug.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:55 PM

I'll have him check his plugs. So you guys actually experienced knock retard from the PCM because of your plugs?
Old 08-03-2006, 03:01 PM

Long Tubes will cause it too. You're getting a false knock from somewhere.

Last edited by 1FstFormulaV8; 08-03-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1FstFormulaV8
My car has been having similar problems for quite some time now (changed opti, plugs, wires, almost every sensor, and O2's) and it is still acting up. These problems started up after I put long tubes on my car...can that be whats going on with it?
Old 08-03-2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Green94B4C
My car has been having similar problems for quite some time now (changed opti, plugs, wires, almost every sensor, and O2's) and it is still acting up. These problems started up after I put long tubes on my car...can that be whats going on with it?
Get an LT4 knock module from Jason Cromer for cheap (I think it was like less than $30) and install it. You'll know right away if it's the long tubes causing false knock that was causing your problems.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by plethaus
Get an LT4 knock module from Jason Cromer for cheap (I think it was like less than $30) and install it. You'll know right away if it's the long tubes causing false knock that was causing your problems.
Thank you, I will do that
Old 08-03-2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1FstFormulaV8
Yes but this is a stock car. It has CAI and hooker catback with some suspension mods.
Also, false knock will still show up on the knock sensor. Most of the time when it was pulling timing, there was no knock being detected.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:05 PM

When my opti was failing, it would stumble real bad under load. With a scanner hooked up, you could definetely see knock being detected. The computer would retard it and make the problem even worse. Turned out the cap was badly worn and the rotor was destroyed. I replaced them with the msd cap/rotor kit and all is well.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by autoxr
When my opti was failing, it would stumble real bad under load. With a scanner hooked up, you could definetely see knock being detected. The computer would retard it and make the problem even worse. Turned out the cap was badly worn and the rotor was destroyed. I replaced them with the msd cap/rotor kit and all is well.
this is the type of reply I was looking for, specifically someone who has had a scanner hooked up. I will relay the information and hopefully it will fix the problem.
Thanks so much.

***oops, sorry, this is mkent (the original poster)! I didn't realize dad was signed in here at his house!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:01 AM

Ttt
Old 09-15-2006, 10:55 AM
SMW

Do you guys know what the part number is for the LT4 knock sensor? Are any wiring modifications required?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by SMW
Do you guys know what the part number is for the LT4 knock sensor? Are any wiring modifications required?
There are 2 different LT4 KM's one for the OBD1 and one for the OBD2

Shoebox shows the difference on his site: http://shbox.com/1/lt4km.jpg
Old 10-01-2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eds69s
this is the type of reply I was looking for, specifically someone who has had a scanner hooked up. I will relay the information and hopefully it will fix the problem.
Thanks so much.

***oops, sorry, this is mkent (the original poster)! I didn't realize dad was signed in here at his house!
Let me know if the opti fixes your problem.

Quick Reply: is this a failing optispark?