LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fan problem (shoebox?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 07:20 PM

Fan problem (shoebox?)

I have a problem with my fans not coming on at all, be it the car is at 260* (which it hit in traffic the other day ) or the A/C is on. The problem stems from the fact that I somehow got a piece of what looks to be a window seal strip stuck in the DS fan while going down the road, which jammed the fan and neither fan has worked on their own since.

I took the fans out and hot-wired them to the battery; and both worked fine despite the DS fan being previoulsy jammed by the road debris (no damage). I checked the fuse(s) and it's fine. Today I replaced the #1 and #2 fan relays with new ones and still no luck, whether the A/C was on, SES on, or anything else. And with the car running, A/C on, and me switching the relays around they're constantly clicking like the PCM is commanding them on. I even tried jumping the "H" and "J" connections on the pass side connector at the PCM and all I get is the relays clicking while the fans stayed off.

So now what? Burned wire perhaps? Burned ground? Harness fried? I'm stuck, and having to trace all these wires will be a real PITA. So far I've looked at every wire in the PD box and no signs of burning yet. Anything I'm forgetting to check?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 05-06-2003, 07:42 PM

If the wont work directly hooked up to a power source somethings wrong with them, but if you ran them strait to a battery without using a relay you could of burnt up a wire, so id say buy the fan switch kit or make your one and dont forget a relay.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:44 PM

Use the wiring diagram and pull relay #1 and check for power on socket terminal D1 (key does not have to be on). My bet is that the fusible link was toasted from the fan overload. That would be why your fan will still work when you pulled it out and jumped it. The link probably fried before your fan motor was destroyed. Just the way it is supposed to do.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
Use the wiring diagram and pull relay #1 and check for power on socket terminal D1 (key does not have to be on). My bet is that the fusible link was toasted from the fan overload. That would be why your fan will still work when you pulled it out and jumped it. The link probably fried before your fan motor was destroyed. Just the way it is supposed to do.
Well I'll be dipped, didn't even think to check those. Just went to look and one of them is blown slam in two. Thanks!