LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

fan wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:45 AM

fan wiring?

ok i tried looking for what i needed and couldn't find it, unless i'm not looking right.

when i got the car the fans were hooked up to a relay to where when the key was turned they came on and stayed on. well i want to hook them back up factory, but i can't find the wires as i was told they cut the plugs to add wire and hook up to the relay.

once in a blue moon when i turn the key as soon as the fans kick on it will pop that 20 amp "engine sensor" fuse. i have no idea other than possibly it arcing from the positive to the negative on that relay and shorting it out. i've check wires and all that stuff and i don't have any shorts.

so long story short i want to hook the fans back up normal and get rid of this relay, also because this is the second relay i've gone through due to getting really hot over time and melting some of the plastic.

i've looked the the only wiring i found was right at the pcm, i need to find the wires that come out of the harness where the pigtail for the fans are supposed to be. thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 01:37 PM

Are they factory fans or some after market ones?
You can't "get rid of the relays". The factory system uses at least two relays because the PCM turns them on at different temps.
If you are melting relays it's probably because it's under rated, i.e. to small for the amps being pulled though it. Or it's possible that the wires are too small. Each fan should really have it's own relay and power wire feeding it.
Your going to have to trace the wires from the PCM. They are probably buried in the harness.
I'll check the wiring diagrams tonight and see what I can find out.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Here is the wiring diagram, to help you trace things out. The diagram is for a 1995, but if you use the "late production" diagram at the bottom, that will be the same as yours. The fuse assignments may be different. The 97 Owner's Manual shows that the cooling fan is on the "AIR PUMP" fuse.

(Courtesy of Shoebox)
http://shbox.com/1/1995_pcm6.jpg

Where did they take the 12V power from that runs to the "load" (fan) side of the aftermarket relay? In the stock wiring, the fans are supplied by a fusible link, and only the 12V power for the "signal" (switch) side of the relay is taken from the underhood fuse box.

Last edited by Injuneer; 02-13-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:03 PM

yes, it has an aftermarket relay. the power is coming from a slot in the underhood fuse box. well i got the car up on the lift today during lunch, and i found where they cut the wires to the fans, so i'm going to try and get it to work. they said the fans wouldn't work thats why they hooked them up direct like they did.