LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fans driving me insane...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 07:38 PM

Angry Fans driving me insane...

For starters, my cooling fans have not been operating on my car by themselves since August. At that time I rigged up a fan switch directly connected to the wires that run to the fans.

That lasted for a while till I saw smoke coming from one of the wires inside my car. - I realized that this probably wasn't going to be the best way to hook up the fans (duh).

So over time I replaced the coolant temp sensor, and just recently rigged up the fans back to the factory wiring. I also hooked up my switch to the blue and green wires according to shoebox's page that run the relays.

Well, I've still got something wrong, it seems. The pcm still does not recognize that the engine is warming up, I watched the gauge go all the way up to 3/4 without the fans coming on. And still more confusing, when I turn my vents to any position other than off, the fans come on. I can turn the dial back to off and they still stay on, will not turn off till I turn the car off.

My switch does not work either now. When the fans are off, I flip the switch, and no light comes on. When the fans are on, I flip the switch, the light comes on, proving continuity and that power is passing through.

Does anyone have any clue what the heck is going on??? I'm thinking about buying a couple extra relays and throwing them in next to the fuse box to set up my own little fan system, independent of the factory wiring.

Any help on my crazy fans would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:55 PM

Anyone?

Or should I get rid of my car before something else gets posessed?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:13 PM

I would start with a coolant temp sensor and the AC pressure switch after you make sure all the fuses and relays are good
Old 03-03-2004, 07:16 PM

Don't know much about the ac.
What does the ac pressure switch do???
Old 03-03-2004, 07:21 PM

it will turn on the fans when teh AC pressure gets high enough to avoid over pressuizing the AC system and to aid in proper cooling. I had a problem with my fans back about a year ago. they would sometimes come on at cold startup but never any other time when it was hot nad I would almost over heat. eventualy I could not get the AC to come on either after I had run the system down from every direction looking for the problem. So I tested the wireing to the sensor and the computer and everythng was working.. but teh fans were not and nither was the ac. stuck a new switch on and everything was good after that

But he primary fan control is the the temp sensor on the water pump, if it;s bad or out of calibration it will not come on or come o at the wrong time
Old 03-03-2004, 07:27 PM

So other than the switch, I should test for connection with the temp sensor? The sensor is new, just put it in a few months ago. I'm assuming the temp the engine sees is the one from the sensor in the water pump right? - gauge temp is from the sensor in the block?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:35 PM

Corect..

unplug the connector at the sensor on the pump. you should ahve ground on one side and 5 volts on the other. if thats good and the sensor is new you can move on. YOu can also test resistence of the sensor at different te,ps to verify the sensor is working
Old 03-03-2004, 07:41 PM

Is there an easy way to test for proper operation of the switch? - ie voltages with ac on and off?

And is it - A/C & Heater Control Switch or Compressor cut-off switch? (trying to get an idea of the part off advance auto)...
Old 03-03-2004, 07:43 PM

Re: Fans driving me insane...

Originally posted by GreenDemon
For starters, my cooling fans have not been operating on my car by themselves since August. At that time I rigged up a fan switch directly connected to the wires that run to the fans.

That lasted for a while till I saw smoke coming from one of the wires inside my car. - I realized that this probably wasn't going to be the best way to hook up the fans (duh).

So over time I replaced the coolant temp sensor, and just recently rigged up the fans back to the factory wiring. I also hooked up my switch to the blue and green wires according to shoebox's page that run the relays.

Well, I've still got something wrong, it seems. The pcm still does not recognize that the engine is warming up, I watched the gauge go all the way up to 3/4 without the fans coming on. And still more confusing, when I turn my vents to any position other than off, the fans come on. I can turn the dial back to off and they still stay on, will not turn off till I turn the car off.

My switch does not work either now. When the fans are off, I flip the switch, and no light comes on. When the fans are on, I flip the switch, the light comes on, proving continuity and that power is passing through.

Does anyone have any clue what the heck is going on??? I'm thinking about buying a couple extra relays and throwing them in next to the fuse box to set up my own little fan system, independent of the factory wiring.

Any help on my crazy fans would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like the wiring you did is all screwed up. I would start over.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:46 PM

unless I read his first post wrong he did get it back to stock Rob.

If I missread that I would do that and make sure he didlt blow any fuses during the proces
Old 03-03-2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by HBHRacing
unless I read his first post wrong he did get it back to stock Rob.

If I missread that I would do that and make sure he didlt blow any fuses during the proces
I read in there that he added a fan switch to the blue and green wires.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:51 PM

Yes the 4 fan wires (lt. blue, white, 2 brn.) are all reconnected (only reason my car hasn't overheated- I want fans, I turn on vents... )

But the tiny blue and green wires underneath the fuse/relay box are the ones I'm supposed to be tapping into for a fan switch, right?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by GreenDemon
Yes the 4 fan wires (lt. blue, white, 2 brn.) are all reconnected (only reason my car hasn't overheated- I want fans, I turn on vents... )

But the tiny blue and green wires underneath the fuse/relay box are the ones I'm supposed to be tapping into for a fan switch, right?
Yes, the blue and green relay control wires are the ones you want. Easier to get to them on the RH shock tower, IMO. Be sure you are following the wiring diagram correctly. You apply ground to the relay control wires not power.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:29 PM

Well no wonder I'm getting lights but nothing's happening! Maybe I won't have to redo all the wiring after all, just move power wire to ground, lol.

And we'll just have to see about the fans not operating properly, I'll just have to pull out the multimeter again.

Thanks guys, you're the reason this board is the best.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:51 PM

ok. my question is when you do not have the switch on does it not send teh ground signal (or in your case hot.. oops) to the relay? If it's not sending it when it;s off and the fans are still not coming on there could be abother problem. if it is feeding hot to the relay they will never come on even when the computer comands ground to the relays

Quick Reply: Fans driving me insane...