LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fans driving me insane...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 09:05 PM

Are you on a stock PCM? It sounds normal to me(the fans turning on at 3/4 with a/c off). Stock, the fans don't turn on until 226* for the first stage, and 235* for the second stage. If you want your fans always on, leave the a/c on, or get a 160 thermo and get the pcm reprogrammed(maybe a hypertech).
Old 03-03-2004, 09:07 PM

Well, the switch does not seem to have any effect on the fans at all right now, when the fans are on I can get the light on my switch to come on, proving continuity, even though power is going in the wrong direction

But when I turn on the vents the fans go on at low speed (I think, car ran cooler when I had my switch hooked directly to the fan wires), and even if I turn the dial back to off the fans still stay on until I turn the car off.

Are the relays hardwired to something in the ac or vent system? Or does turning on the vents send a signal to the ecm, and the ecm turns the fans on? Basically what I'm asking is are the vents and temperature fan on operations on separate systems, or are all aspects of normal fan operations controlled by the ecm?

If they're separate, the temp sensor wires could be bad, or the wires from the ecm to the relay. If they're together, then the ecm must not be getting signal from the temp sensor which would of course mean no fans (could also mean my timing could be a little overagressive if the engine is around 210 degrees).

Does this help?
Old 03-03-2004, 09:11 PM

BTW, with vents off I sat there and watched the needle on the temp gauge go all the way to 3/4. I assume the fans are supposed to kick on before then, right? Not that much to go then before it makes its way into the red...
Old 03-03-2004, 09:25 PM

Only when the compressor (defrost, bi-level or a/c) is in play are the fans supposed to come on. Are you sure you did not jack something when you had all those earlier problems?
Old 03-03-2004, 09:43 PM

I hope not...

The only wires I've messed around with are the ones to the fans accessed from under the car, and the blue and green wires- I used t connectors so all of them still have original connectivity like they're supposed to...

I started having this problem after my cap & rotor change (done by a trusted mechanic), they said they noticed the engine was running hot, but didn't try to diagnose the problem, they only fix what you tell them to.

I'll tear into it tomorrow afternoon and see if I can pinpoint any problems...
Old 03-03-2004, 10:03 PM

I woulr really consider riping out the old wireing and get it all back to stock.. make everything work from there and then rewire the switch up the right way. With the bad wireing that was in place it;s gonna be so hard to really overcome the problem
Old 03-03-2004, 10:18 PM

Factory wiring is back to stock, except for tapping into the relay wires- since the fans still turn on there is still continuity.

Tomorrow I'll change the wiring for the fan switch to the correct position and then troubleshoot the factory wiring to see what's going on. Not much else I can do, unless I want to rig up my own separate fan control system, which would be harder than it sounds.