LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fans not coming on...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:46 AM

Fans not coming on...

i've searched but couldnt find answers to my questions...

96 LT1, m6

computer has been programmed to turn fans on @ 180*
all of a sudden they stopped working; i have checked fuses and relays; A relay was bad so i switched in the fog light relay.... but they still dont seem to turn on.. I have let the car get as hot as 230* and they dont turn on. I have tried turning on the ac but still dont work....

Is there a way to check and see if the fans are actually getting any power....
or can i directly give the fans power and ground to check to see if they work, im afraid that they will burn out if i do this....

with a test light i have checked all fuses and realys and they do get power.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 AM

Try running the a/c, when the a/c is one the fans are supposed to run constantly. If that dont work, have you tried powering the fans of the battery to see if they are good?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #7

Is there a way to check and see if the fans are actually getting any power....

You could try a multi meter where the fans plug in at.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:22 PM

jump the relay with a paper clip or something of that nature.unplug the fan connectors and use a mulitmeter to see if there getting any voltage. that would tell you if there getting voltage.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:56 PM

i know i have an obdii... How do i jump pins 5 and 16 in order to check to see if the fans will work???? a piece of wire???

if i am able to get my car scanned where/what should i look for on the scanner???
Old 05-23-2007, 05:39 PM

after i found out that one of my fans was burned out... a friend let me borrow his set.... i plugged them in, and still dont work!!!

i hooked one of em upto the fuse labeled 'ignition' and turns on to high speed when the key is forward... what gives!?!?!!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:34 PM

come on where are the LTX gurus........
Old 05-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Check your continuity to ground. You could have a ground problem. Also, be sure and check all your fuses. The fuse that the air pump is on, is the same one for the cooling fans. If that fuse blows, you will throw an air pump code.

You could also have a bad temp. sensor. There are two coolant sensors on an LT1. The gauge sensor is in the side of the drivers head. The one for the computer is in the water pump. You could have some type of issue with that one.

Some scanning software, like Autotap, could help you see that issue quick. If all is fine with them, then the temp reported by the CPU should be close to the gauge temp.

Last edited by ACE1252; 05-23-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:55 PM

thanks for the response....

how or what should i look for when/ if i scan the car.... the SES light is not on; so if i get it scanned what should i be looking for??? Which of the two sensors should i change out first.... the gauge in the dash is reading correctly... should i first change the one on the water pump???
Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by ACE1252
Check your continuity to ground. You could have a ground problem. Also, be sure and check all your fuses. The fuse that the air pump is on, is the same one for the cooling fans. If that fuse blows, you will throw an air pump code.

You could also have a bad temp. sensor. There are two coolant sensors on an LT1. The gauge sensor is in the side of the drivers head. The one for the computer is in the water pump. You could have some type of issue with that one.

Some scanning software, like Autotap, could help you see that issue quick. If all is fine with them, then the temp reported by the CPU should be close to the gauge temp.
Even if the temp sensors were bad I believe the fans should still come on with the AC. You've tried other working fans so that tell's us your fans may be okay. I would double check all the fuses and relays. Test the fuse or replace it even if it looks good. Make sure you have the correct relays for the fans. Also look for a bad ground. It's easy to miss a loose or cut wire somewhere. I don't think a datalog will tell you much unless there was a DTC error that is no longer being displayed on the dash. But if you unplugged the battery it's probably gone anyway.

Also read this http://autorepair.about.com/od/elect.../aa032903a.htm

Last edited by rickreeves1; 05-24-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
Even if the temp sensors were bad I believe the fans should still come on with the AC. You've tried other working fans so that tell's us your fans may be okay. I would double check all the fuses and relays. Test the fuse or replace it even if it looks good. Make sure you have the correct relays for the fans. Also look for a bad ground. It's easy to miss a loose or cut wire somewhere. I don't think a datalog will tell you much unless there was a DTC error that is no longer being displayed on the dash. But if you unplugged the battery it's probably gone anyway.

Also read this http://autorepair.about.com/od/elect.../aa032903a.htm
You are correct. If he is getting the correct voltage at the connector from one of the pins, he needs to see if the ground on the other one is good. I'll try to dig up the schematics of the circuit. I have a 96 and the factory manuals. It could be a fusible link in the circuit blown when the fan went bad.

Last edited by ACE1252; 05-24-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Here are the Fuse block details and coolant fan schematics....

http://www.ace1252.com/images/Fuse_B...tails_1996.JPG
http://www.ace1252.com/images/Coolan...matic_1996.JPG

The pictures are big, but they give good detail.

Be sure to check "Fusible Link C". If you had a fan go bad it could have blown that fuse.....if it is okay, then time to start tracking things with multimeter.

Last edited by ACE1252; 05-24-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:24 PM

well thanks for the schematics!!! I'm not too good at reading them though. I rechecked all the fuses and relays, and i changed the sensor on the water pump yet still no workie on the fans.

Since i couldnt figure it out this is what i did for the mean while... I spliced into the power wire on the fans, and ran a wire into the fog light relay... so that when i turn on my foglights I manually turn on the fans...

Dont know if this is safe, but i'd rather hook them up this way then directly to the ignition etc...