LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

fans wont shut off

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 03:53 PM

I have a simliar problem

My fans also run full time. I thought it had something to do with the fan switch I had wired up. I have completly removed the fan switch wiring and the fans run full time. Well, actually they come on after abotu 3 mins of the car running. The SES light comes on at the same time the fans come on. The only code the car gives is "electrical ground fualt" I have an auto x ray scanner. I looked the code up in the book and it doesn't give any information about how to track the problem down.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:05 PM

stephenspann27 it sounds like the fuse to your air pump has blown,check the 20 amp fuse for it under the hood,all the best,Mark.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:22 PM

wow

wow, that was it. You are god like, hah. I"ve had that problem for almost a year now. Thanks
Stephen
Old 01-29-2007, 03:40 AM

Smile

Hi,
Glad I could help,it's always nice to have an easy fix like just changing a fuse.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:38 AM

LOL, isn't checking the fuses the first thing you should do?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:17 PM

yea...

I scanned it first hoping that would give me the answer, but I had no idea where to start when it said "electrical ground fault" and it was kind of a nice problem because my car never got hot with the fans running all the time. :-D From now on I'll check all fuses first.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Whe you scan, get the EXACT code..... then ignore the generic code listing that's included with some scanners. Go to an LT1-specific code list, like the one on Shoebox's website. That's what you should have done, rather than accept the "electrical ground fault", wherever you might have found that description.

http://shbox.com/1/Dtcs.htm
Old 02-01-2007, 05:00 PM

status update:

went to my friends father's shop, we took a look at my car and heres what we did.
Scanned for codes, again same as last time except this time we got the malf indicator lamp one i think it was 11. We went through checking just about everything. Alternator is fine, its not spitting back ac voltage through the diodes. Found source of code 29, when the previous owner removed the AIR he just cut the wires, leaving the circuit incomplete. Him and I couldnt figure it out , but the only thing he suggested to me is to replace the bulb of the check engine light(that i dont have?) and see what happens. So then he asked me how long my low coolant light has been on, i sort of laughed and said about 8 months. Last may when the light came on i checked the level and it was fine so i have blown it off since. Well we took the sensor out, it was clogged with debri. We replaced it and i left. I took a VERRY long way home, drove the car for about 45 minutes with no stall. i get home and think to myself well this is awesome, i wonder if the stupid sensor is what was causing my fans to turn on. I start the car back up and the fans didnt come on.

could this be case solved?

edit: if so? think i should get it scanned again to make sure all is gone?

Last edited by dfa_crunch; 02-01-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:55 PM

The low coolant sensor is only connected to the light on the dash. The computer does not even know it is there. Not a source of a SES light or fans to come on.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:58 PM

hmm, well i guess ill see if they come back on or my car stalls because for tonight it wasnt doing it and the stalling was consistent
Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dfa_crunch
status update:

...... Found source of code 29, when the previous owner removed the AIR he just cut the wires, leaving the circuit incomplete. Him and I couldnt figure it out , but the only thing he suggested to me is to replace the bulb of the check engine light(that i dont have?) and see what happens.
edit: if so? think i should get it scanned again to make sure all is gone?
With your OBD-I 94, cutting the wires to the AIR pump (not sure why he didn't simply unplug it???) will not set a code, as long as there is a good fuse in the circuit. As Shoebox suggested a while back, check the fuses.... in this case the one for the AIR pump. A blown AIR pump fuse is one of the most common causes of the fans running all the time.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:16 AM

Just curious, why do the air pump fuses blow? Is it when the motor is on it's way out? Maybe it locks up for a second then blows the fuse?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:40 AM

the relay for the air pump is brand new, however there is no voltage for the relay slot in the relay box. which i assume is because of the cut wires. I dont see how this can be the fuse that keeps the fans on. I had the car for a year before the fans did this, and i didnt remove the AIR the previous owner did. Fans turned on one day after the car overheated and has never turned off. Until today, maybe the fans didnt come on because of a fluke? who knows ill check again tomorrow

Last edited by dfa_crunch; 02-02-2007 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:31 AM

Resetting codes will turn off fans

If a code is set to turn the fans on, then resetting the code to remove it will allow the fans to operate normally until either there is a fan request or a DTC set that activates them. Perhaps you inadvertantly reset an intermittent code or corrected the problem without realizing it and then reset the code.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:25 AM

as much as i would like to take it for a drive on day 2, i got about a foot of snow last night so that wont be happening today

Quick Reply: fans wont shut off