LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

.:Faulty Spark Plug?¿:.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 02:59 AM

Question .:Faulty Spark Plug?¿:.

hey guys, quick question.
My car is having a big power loss and has a 'stumble' consistantly around 2k rpm and up. I dont think its my Opti since I just changed it, unless it got coolant in it when i replaced my WP. But anyways, I took all 8 plugs out tonight, some of the wires look kinda crappy inside, but seemed to be normal wear
However...plugs in cylinders 1-7 were 'dry' and 'white' sorta..but all seemed to not have any corrosion or deposits on them. Just white and dry. I think they are okay. I believe the gaps are set right too. Plug 8 is a different story, when I pulled the boot (plug wire) off the male end of the plug..I noticed it was completely black! The procelin part...was covered in black as well and even the end that ignites (with the electrode and stuff) was all crummy and black. It wasnt really an 'oily' black though..it was more of a 'burn' black..or a real fine 'ash' black . Very consistant..no chunks or anything. It was the only one like this..do you think one faulty plug not igniting right could cause for my bad performance?
Its fine at start up and idle, but total power loss if I try to launch it or WOT. I have to actually feather the accelerator so it doesnt 'stutter' at all when accelerating. Should I try cleaning all the plugs in gas or something, let them dry, and put it back in or buy new plugs? It really wasnt that much of a problem taking them out..so leave that out of considering buying new ones ("well if you're gonna take em out...might as well replace them"...) When my engine was rebuilt less than 3k miles ago, the guy put in new plugs. Only thing I would do is check the gap and clean them.
Thanks guys, Im pretty sure this is my problem Ive had for months now..as I always 'spot check' plugs but never the 8th one as its the hardest to get to. Now I know its #8 (Right hand side, most rear). If you know what Im talkin about as far as this 'light black' covering on the plug...what is that? Too much fuel? Preignition? or something else? Thanks guys!
Derek
Old 08-26-2004, 07:03 PM

Re: .:Faulty Spark Plug?¿:.

I also forgot to mention something that I believe is the reason for Plug 8 to be the culprit...My catalytic converter came off (yes..broke from the welds and came off completely) a few months ago. I drove it like that for a couple weeks when it started acting up. I have my cat back on...but now I'm thinking thats why that plug is all black.

It makes perfect sense..once that Cat came off, the exhaust somehow came back up near the rear engine compartment..where plug 8 is..and its most likely exhaust residue on my plug. Well its soaking in gas right now (its a cheap and free cleaning agent )...and Im carefully cleaning plug 8 and the rest. So to recap..car ran fine..had cat come off..week/2weeks later the car missed/stumbled and lost most power. Find out its plug #8 that is all fouled up..right near the open 'cat' (no cat). My question is..and still is..could this fouled plug cause that much of a problem? I would think so
Anyways, anyone have this prob before? Ill find out later when I put them back in to see how she runs again. I hope this is my simple solution. Thanks for anyone that replies,
Derek