LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

A few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:18 PM

Question A few Q's

Well it's about that time. After almost a year of waiting im finally putting in my 306. But i have a few questions about the heads and roller rockers so take a look! So far i have...

CC306
Comp 918's
Comp 10 degree Steel retainers
Comp LT1 Sping Locators for 918's
Comp 10 Degree Valve Locks
Comp 11/32 Valve Stem Seals
GM Performance Parts Oil Pump w/White Spring and Late 94 Pickup
Trickflow Chromoly Pushrods 7.200"
95+ vented opti
95 Opti Wire Harness
95 Opti Vac Harness
95 Timing Cover
Cloyes Double Roller
Meziere Electric Water Pump

Others:
New Auburn Posi
Power Transfer Parts 3.73's
TCI SSF 3500
Hayden Trans Cooler
Complete 10bolt Refresh Kit

When i bought my car in November of 2005 it had 20k miles on the fresh 355. They guy told me he had the block resurfaced and a valve job done along with the rebuild. Would you guys think i would have any iston to valve clearance issues with this cam or am i safe?

Also since i dont know anything other than the car has has roller rockers on it from the build i will probably just updrade to Comp magnum 1.6's. Should i buy SA or NSA?

Should i get 7/16 or 3/8 screw in studs?? If i get the NSA RR's what guide plates should i use?

These are the last few things im trying to get sorted out by the first week of December. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 11-03-2006, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Matts1994Z28
Well it's about that time. After almost a year of waiting im finally putting in my 306. But i have a few questions about the heads and roller rockers so take a look! So far i have...

CC306
Comp 918's
Comp 10 degree Steel retainers
Comp LT1 Sping Locators for 918's
Comp 10 Degree Valve Locks
Comp 11/32 Valve Stem Seals
GM Performance Parts Oil Pump w/White Spring and Late 94 Pickup
Trickflow Chromoly Pushrods 7.200"
95+ vented opti
95 Opti Wire Harness
95 Opti Vac Harness
95 Timing Cover
Cloyes Double Roller
Meziere Electric Water Pump

Others:
New Auburn Posi
Power Transfer Parts 3.73's
TCI SSF 3500
Hayden Trans Cooler
Complete 10bolt Refresh Kit

When i bought my car in November of 2005 it had 20k miles on the fresh 355. They guy told me he had the block resurfaced and a valve job done along with the rebuild. Would you guys think i would have any iston to valve clearance issues with this cam or am i safe?

Also since i dont know anything other than the car has has roller rockers on it from the build i will probably just updrade to Comp magnum 1.6's. Should i buy SA or NSA?

Should i get 7/16 or 3/8 screw in studs?? If i get the NSA RR's what guide plates should i use?

These are the last few things im trying to get sorted out by the first week of December. Thanks in advance guys!
Valve to piston clearance should really ALWAYS be checked to see exactly what clearances you have after any cam swap... and "ESPECIALLY" on a motor that has been previously decked (NEVER just assume it's safe)..you can check this in an extra half hour to an hour...The comp roller tip magnums would be alright, but the FULL roller comp PRO-Magnums would be a MUCH better choice if you can swing them(about $260)......if you are interested in maximum durability and reliability, you will want 7/16 NON-self aligning rockers for use with guideplates, The GM guideplates are a good choice to use(about $25)......for the 7/16 rocker studs ,ARP is about as good as you can get(about $30).........good luck.........Joe

Last edited by Joe B; 11-03-2006 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. How exactly do i check the clearance? I have never done it before. Thanks for the Rocker info also, i do plan on the ARP studs so i will probably be ordering the last few things here shortly.