LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Finally!..My cam specs are in!...BUT, is this too big?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:15 AM

Re: Finally!..My cam specs are in!...BUT, is this too big?

Even I started to worried about my daily car. (240/246 cam)
Old 08-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
Slowly but surely i feel my SR dreams going out the window. From what it sounds like is that a decent solid roler valvetrain is going to cost in the neighborhood of $1500-$2000. And thats just the parts that are known to fail ie: lifters and springs and lets not forget the shaft mounts. Maybee I'll just put the 2 grand into some 18 degree heads instead and run a HR instead.[sigh]
Ya can get a mech cam and lifters from Crower for about 1000. The springs will be a couple hundred more and ya don't need shaft mounts but they are very nice to have. Them alone are about 1000/1500. Crane has some cheaper and Jesel has a cheaper set. When ya figure stud rockers, studs and a stud girdle, guide plates and tall valve covers ya are 3/4 there for a set of shaft mounts.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
Ya can get a mech cam and lifters from Crower for about 1000. The springs will be a couple hundred more and ya don't need shaft mounts but they are very nice to have. Them alone are about 1000/1500. Crane has some cheaper and Jesel has a cheaper set. When ya figure stud rockers, studs and a stud girdle, guide plates and tall valve covers ya are 3/4 there for a set of shaft mounts.
Thats huge $$$ just for solid roller setup right? I mean its better to get hydraulic setup and bigger heads with less $$$ valvetrain.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Solid roller does not mean less reliability. Changes are you had cheap or defective lifters that weren't up to the job. Solid roller just requires more maitinence, but it has more potential for power. Your setup could have been mismatched too, or not had the heads/intake to support that huge cam.
This was about five years ago so it wasn’t that I just ruined another engine here recently, it was one of the one’s I had gone through earlier. The heads then were a set of ported AFR 227’s with 230cc intake chambers. Had the heads to go with a big cam.

Hate to say this but the heads themselves have nothing to do with breaking solid lifters or reliability. Had issues with lifters with a couple different set of heads and issues with two or three different brands of lifters. Galled a camshaft or two also and the guy whom I sold one of my solid lifter cams also ending up galling it too.

Everything I’ve ever done had virtually nothing to do with budget, so I can tell ya for sure it wasn’t cheap or used parts as there wasn’t any. Remember paying $600.00 for a set of solid lifters from Crane and they were suppose to end the problem. They didn’t. The only thing that was constant is they were all custom gound cams by Cam Motion.

Until I'm 100% sure what the issue was…… there is no way in hell that I'm going to go through that again as an experiment.

Don't hold much faith in the theory: “I'm not having a problem therefore there is something wrong with what you’re doing.” Seen this on numerous occasions on the internet and not the only one whom has had issues with solid lifters during street driving. In fact the guy whom built the engine told me to change solid lifters every six months as he had seen a lot of problems with them to..

Any.......back at the ranch. The issue here is drivability vs power and the larger cam. I personally did not have good drivability with the 254/262 in a six speed. Can't imagine how it would be in an automatic, but my guess is you would not be happy with it.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:30 PM

Re: Finally!!! I got my new cam specs...BUT is this too big?

Originally Posted by streetrod93
i don't like the idea with that cam.....if i'm not mistaken that an off the shelf grind too.....and looking at those lobes, they're pretty damn agressive.
He said it was a custom grind so how do you know what the lobes look like?

Haven't heard good things about k-motion on DD's, have you looked into isky tool room springs?
Old 08-20-2006, 03:53 PM

I have a 259/270 solid roller with more lift than your cam. You CAN drive it on the street and it WILL idle at 1000 rpms. Mine sure doesnt make any vacuum though and expect to do LOTS of tuning. It is pretty average feeling in the RPM band until 4k+

i would never want to daily drive it though. It makes a great street weekend cruiser and drag car.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by atljar
I have a 259/270 solid roller with more lift than your cam. You CAN drive it on the street and it WILL idle at 1000 rpms. Mine sure doesnt make any vacuum though and expect to do LOTS of tuning. It is pretty average feeling in the RPM band until 4k+

i would never want to daily drive it though. It makes a great street weekend cruiser and drag car.
Wow! You updated your setup from GM847 huh

How do you control your valvetrain on the street? High dollars parts as Larry says?
Old 08-20-2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by JustNO
Wow! You updated your setup from GM847 huh

How do you control your valvetrain on the street? High dollars parts as Larry says?
Yea, people like my self would like to know.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:23 PM

Ya I tried the 847 in my 383/AFR/single plane intake and it was a dog. Only made a touch over 400 rwhp and was peaked out by the high 5k rpm range.

Keeping the valvetrain together, haha. Car is currently down because of valvetrain failure. I snapped a 7/16 rocker stud in half.

I am using double springs with dampers (250ish on seat, and 550ish open), comp endure-x lifters, and then run of the mill pro mag rockers.

I debated and debated getting a set of shaftmounts after i broke this stud, but i went ahead and ordered the pro series rocker studs from ARP. Just havent had time to get it running again, work has me swamped. A girdle would be nice, but I am more than likely going to get the car running and part it out.

Ready for something different. Plans are a 2 seat RWD LSx based GM car with twin turbos. We just built one at work and I am HOOKED

Last edited by atljar; 08-20-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:04 AM

Sorry to hear that man. I know youve been working on it for while.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:09 AM

whoooo hooo.... hang on to your nipples
Old 08-21-2006, 02:31 PM

shaft mount rocker arms rock.....
there i said it..
Old 08-21-2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by chads97z
shaft mount rocker arms rock.....
there i said it..
What is your cam specs? You didn't say it? Hydraulic or solid roller?