LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Finally...track times

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned

With that much compression in the motor I would say that your pretty well off.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
For instance, the fact that I'm still on a stock TB may cause enough of a restriction that shifting at 7K may get me nothing over shifting a 6.5K. No way to find out till I try it though.
A larger TB will not change a power curve. It may raise the curve, but the characteristics will be the same. In your case going to a larger TB should be beneficial.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
A larger TB will not change a power curve. It may raise the curve, but the characteristics will be the same. In your case going to a larger TB should be beneficial.
I didn't expect it to change the curve, just raise it like you said. I feel that the stock one can't flow enough for 7k shifts to be beneficial...but who knows I could be wrong, thats why I'm gonna play with the shift points next time out

Last edited by Colin91Z; 10-31-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
I didn't expect it to change the curve, just raise it like you said. I feel that the stock one can't flow enough for 7k shifts to be beneficial...but who knows I could be wrong, thats why I'm gonna plays with the shift points next time out
Depending on how much power you make it just doesn't seem like shifting to 7K is worth it. Good luck nonetheless.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Banned

On a Forged 350ci, 4-bolt main block?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Depending on how much power you make it just doesn't seem like shifting to 7K is worth it. Good luck nonetheless.
Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
On a Forged 350ci, 4-bolt main block?
Thanks

If I hadn't planned on spinning that high, I wouldn't have bothered with the forged bottom end. IMO it's alot of fun to twist it that high. Thats why I chose to buy this cam after Bret described how it was gonna act in my set-up

Different strokes for different folks I suppose
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 PM

Whether or not the block can handle it is not what I'm getting at. What I mean by it not being worth spinning the engine to 7Krpm is if the car makes as much power as a setup that peaks around 6K then what's the point... If it peaks at 6K and plateus until after 7K then I can understand, but if the peak is right at 7K then I don't see the point. Once again it just depends on how much peak power this car will produce once it's setup properly.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

I think you miss the point of gear mulitplication, and average HP in a powerband. The higher you shift a setup, especially in the 5252-7000rpm range the higher your average HP will most likely be, which gets the car down the track quicker. Trust me it doesn't PEAK at 7,000rpm it just works well up to there and his highest average HP will be with shifting the motor as high as the PCM lets him.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Trust me it doesn't PEAK at 7,000rpm it just works well up to there and his highest average HP will be with shifting the motor as high as the PCM lets him.
I believe I already covered that in my previous post.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:29 PM

I just took the car for a little night time play time out in the boonies...

It ****feels**** fastest shifting @ 6700 (of cousre a butt-o-meter is not always reliable)

Again, with more air coming in from a bigger TB, and exhaust escaping more freely from 3" true duals it might change things. Only time (and the dyno + track times) will tell.

But it sure is nice to have my car back on the road
Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Banned

Ahhhh yes the "boonies" of middle america! Usually a few out in the middle of nowhere straight roads running thru fields where you can wind a car out.... BTDT!

"boonies" in my neck of the woods are nice curvy, hilly roads that when you know them you can sanely do them at 80-90mph but not at night with bambi!

Glad you are enjoying it! I've only go tomorrow left to play with my SS and then it's put away in the shop for some over the winter prep for next years autoX season!

Bret
Old 10-30-2007, 11:02 PM

Well sir I live in Kansas, not many curves or hills unless you know where to find them. Plenty of boonies with straight roads and fields though Sad part is that my car's suspension is set up for curves at the moment.

My 19 year old brother came over tonight (who is not at all in to cars...yet has respect) and wanted to go for a ride....I don't think he was expecting the car to plant him in the seat like it did

Bret, enjoy it. I can't tell you how much it sucked to be without it for 2 years. Although I can tell you that so far...its been worth the wait. I have new paint, new interior, new motor. new wheels, new (and upgraded) brakes...damn near a new car. And I feels friggin great

Down side is...as soon as the weather turns nasty here....it gets parked in the garage for the winter So no road salt on my brand new black paint...
Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by marshall93z
Pretty good mph!
for heads cam long tubes manual trans 10 bolt?

No offense to anyone.....but it should have quite a bit left in it, 116 is not much mph
Old 10-30-2007, 11:15 PM

I don't think it was bad at all for shakedown passes. With a terrible 60ft, heavy wheels, stock TB, yada yada yada.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by marshall93z
I don't think it was bad at all for shakedown passes. With a terrible 60ft, heavy wheels, stock TB, yada yada yada.
no not bad......I meant it in a way that It has more left in it

Quick Reply: Finally...track times