LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Finding #1 TDC...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 04:28 AM

Finding #1 TDC...

My crank hub is not aligned properly so I can't find TDC that way. I have read that I can turn the crank until #6 cylinder's rockers are moving and #1's are not. Does that mean that it would be at #1 TDC? I need to find it accurately so I can adjust these damn rockers once and for all. I can't take out the number 1 spark plug because the blower is in the way and I can't remove the oil drain hose (long story, the tubing is some kind of locking tube, I had to saw it off to install my cam) so I can't use that method. How do I get to exactly number 1 TDC. I hope to use the method of adjusting 8 valves on number 1 TDC then turning the crank one full turn then dong the other 8 valves. Pls help I want to drive my car!!
Old 11-23-2003, 05:22 AM

finding TDC

Yes that is one way, the best way is to take out the spark plug from cylinder #1 & put your finger in there, make sure you take the rockers off for cylinder number 1, that means intake & exhaust so they valves stay shut. now with you finger in the spark plug hole keep turning your crank with the other hand, you will feel the piston sucking your finger (don't worry its not gonna eat it) when its going down, & pushing air when its comming up, when its pushing air keep turning the crank, once it stops pushing the air its at TDC, you can turn it a bit more until you feel it sucking, that means its going down, then just back up until it stop sucking & thats definetly TDC.

At the same time see if rockers on #6 moved, if they did, you are at #1 firing position.

The other way is to take the opti off, number 1 firing postition is when the dowel pin is at the 3 o'clock position
Old 11-23-2003, 06:03 AM

Of course the other way is to look at the #1 valves as the piston is on its way up. If both valves are closed and the piston is moving up then you are going to TDC. Use a wooden stick or pencil in the spark plug hole to see the movement of the piston.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:44 AM

If you can't get to the #1 plug hole, you can do the same with #6. Plug the hole as you turn the engine over, when you feel air being compressed against your finger, you are on the compression stroke, assuming you left the rockers tightened. If you didn't leave them tight, you'll still find TDC but you won't know if you're in firing position or not. It won't matter. If you want to be right on TDC, as the piston approaches the top, stick a screwdriver in the hole until you feel the piston moving. Then as you turn the engine, watch/feel for that piston to reach the top of the travel. You'll see it in the movement of the screwdriver. When it's there, #6 is at TDC firing position, and #1 is at TDC. You can adjust half the valves there, and the other half after rotating the engine exactly one turn. When you know where TDC is, mark it on your hub and timing cover for reference.

Last edited by nateh; 11-23-2003 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the help guys. All the rockers are still tightened... so how will I know if I am at TDC #6 or TDC firing position #6??? Also, I'm sure I can get to TDC almost exactly but it probably won't be perfectly dead on. Will it really mess up the lashing??? Also do they lifters have to be pumped up when you lash them because the rockers are tightened right now so the lifters are preloaded. If I back the rockers nuts off will the lifters return to normal state ready to be lashed?
Old 11-23-2003, 03:29 PM

Sorry I wasn't more clear. As you turn the engine, plug the empty spark plug hole with your finger. When you feel air being pushed out the plug hole, that means both valves are closed, and that cylinder is on the compression stroke. When it reaches the top, that cylinder is in firing position, and its companion is at TDC, starting the intake stroke. As #6 comes up into firing position, you will see #1 exhaust closing.

As long as you are pretty close to TDC, you can adjust lash properly. You need to make sure the pushrod is down for the valve you are adjusting.

You just need to back the nuts off til the rockers are loose and make the adjustment. The lifters are ready for setting preload at this point.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:02 PM

Thanks a lot for info nate, I really appreciate it... one more question. Which valves are intake and which are exhaust? Is there a pic or a diagram that labels them or something that I can print out and use while I adjust them?
Old 11-23-2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by 96 WS6
Thanks a lot for info nate, I really appreciate it... one more question. Which valves are intake and which are exhaust? Is there a pic or a diagram that labels them or something that I can print out and use while I adjust them?
The exhaust valves are aligned with the exhaust ports on your exhaust manifold, or header.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Compstall
The exhaust valves are aligned with the exhaust ports on your exhaust manifold, or header.
Perfect thanks a lot guys! I have a little cold but if I feel better later today I will attempt to get those things adjusted. I will post w/ results.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:53 PM

I know how you feel. I was hoping to get this rocker n' spring swap done over my weekend, but couldn't due to other things going on. At least I got the springs and rockers installed yesterday. Kinda glad I had to go to work today and give my hands a rest, they're sore. Have to finish up tonight. At least I got a spare car to drive to work. Hehe, my bro-in-law left his '02 C5 at my house for a week while he's gone.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Compstall
I know how you feel. I was hoping to get this rocker n' spring swap done over my weekend, but couldn't due to other things going on. At least I got the springs and rockers installed yesterday. Kinda glad I had to go to work today and give my hands a rest, they're sore. Have to finish up tonight. At least I got a spare car to drive to work. Hehe, my bro-in-law left his '02 C5 at my house for a week while he's gone.
C5

Have fun with that man. I have been working on the car so much this week, it has been pretty cold too that's why I am sick now. I had the car ready to start and ended up bending two pushrods trying to crank the engine because the rockers were too tight AND I had to pull the intake manifold AGAIN. That was all bad, now all I gotta do is get those rockers adjusted
Old 11-23-2003, 05:01 PM

I would do the one at a time method.....why ?......because I was told by my engine biulder that the 8 and 8 method works fine for stock cams but it isnt accurate enough for preformance cams with bigger overlaps.....may be BS but I took his word for it and did one at a time.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:12 PM

Yeah, the C5 is nice and all, gets plenty of looks too, but it's much too smooth for me. I like my rough-ridin' rowdy Z.

I did the one at a time method as well, "Method #2" in Shoebox's site. Even though I've gone over the steps many times, I just HOPE I got it all right and don't damage anything. This is my first time messing with V8 valvetrain.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:24 PM

I'm going to try method number one and see how it goes. If shoebox has it on his web page I'm sure it's a proper method. I just need to worry about finding TDC. If I can find TDC I could do cylinder by cylinder too, key is finding #1 TDC...
Old 11-23-2003, 05:29 PM

I dont belive the one at a time method requires you to find TDC which is another plus for doing one at a time.

Quick Reply: Finding #1 TDC...