LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

firebird trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 04:51 PM

firebird trouble

Can someone help me please!! I have a 93 firebird with the LT1. Recently I started having a major problem........My car starts up fine, when it hasn't been used for a couple of hours... It idles fine, but when i'm driving and let's say that i try to punch it, it'll feel as if it cuts out or boggles down, and then kick back in.. Or it'll make a "WEAK FARTING" sound outta the exhaust, but if i let go of the gas and then press the gas smoothly....it'll drive fine. To add to this problem... I can only drive short distances, because after a while my car will turn off and not turn on for a couple of hours....Then the whole process will start over. But if i try to start it too soon, it'll idle like crazy, backfire, and won't even move much........ It has never overheated, i don't have any leaks, but the car has always ran pretty hot in city driving. the temp gauge will reach the begining of the red area, and the fan will kick on and the temp will drop.....i don't know if that is normal......someone told me that i might have a blown head gasket, and to look out for oil in my coolant, or coolant in my oil....i checked my coolant and it looks fine, the same for my oil..... I don't know if this information might help but, i have had a new fuel filter and fuel pump put in. my catalyc converter, and o2 sensors are new... my k&n airfilter is clean. and my sparkplugs and cables were recently changed. right now my muffler and tails are off(i don't think that's a problem)........ I've also had my radiator flushed about 5 months ago..........................but can someone please help me...i don't know much....and i wanna get it fixed....please......biddybird@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-02-2003, 05:10 PM

Sounds the same as my acceleration problems. I am working on getting the IAC and TPS checked out. Mine is not throwing any codes, is yours?
Old 08-02-2003, 05:40 PM

Sounds like another Opti spark dying.Do a search on opti and see if any of the results are like your symptoms.I'm in the process of changing mine right now.I hope you have tools and a manual or it'll be $$$$.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:44 PM

Yep, sounds like your opti is taking a dump. Welcome to the club! Hopefully your mechanically inclined, it can get pricey.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:55 PM

a great start....

well i have the manual for my car, and i do have a friend who is mechanically inclined...hopefully that'll do me good........... i haven't taken it in...to see what codes are coming out.......but i did the basic method....with two wires..and shorting in my obd.....you know with the "service engine light" blinking for the codes.................the only code that spat out was 16, and in my manual it says....."Low resolution pulse"......."ignition is not detecting the low resolution(4 pulses per crankshaft revolution).............i don't know how accurate that is......but i don't even understand what the heck that means...........would someone be able to tell me what that means?????? or should i have it checked the proper way......anybody else have any other ideas????????? extremely appreciated....................\
biddybird21
Old 08-02-2003, 07:11 PM

That confirms it,bad Opti spark.Mine lost the high resolution pulse.It's always a good idea to be ready to install a water pump at the same time.You may find the bearings are grinding or it may be dripping out the weep hole when the pump is pulled.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:45 PM

Can this happen when there is no check engine light?And my main problems are in acceleration and cruising. Could it still be the opti?
Old 08-02-2003, 08:18 PM

In my case yes,After I let the car cool over night so it would restart,I hooked up a Snap On scanner and the motor ran fine untill it reached around 180 then miss-fired a little not setting off the SES but the scanner picked up code 36 then within about 1 more minute it died and would not restart all the while not setting off the SES.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:14 PM

I would say the electronics in your opti are suffering from the heat. Interesting that it will recover after it cools down. Most don't. It's likely time for a new one. First, make sure the wiring and connectors to the opti are in good shape and have no corroded terminals.

Code 16 does not set the SES light, but the engine will shut down when that code occurs.

No problem in pulling the codes by flashing the SES on a 1993. No need to go to the expense to have it scanned.

If you want a good deal on a new GM opti, try either of these guys:

Dal Slabaugh: 877-448-5451
email: lockitup@bright.net
VanDevere Buick/Pontiac/Olds Akron, OH

Jason Cromer: 877-726-8295 or 850-243-8826 (direct parts dept ph #)
email: gmparts@samtaylor.com
Sam Taylor Buick/Cadillac Ft. Walton Beach, FL

An opti for a 1993 will run ~$290 from them.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:53 PM

good info

Well that info helps alot....jus gotta save some $$$$ and buy a new opti, and i might as well get the waterpump too......but jus to make sure....does that code 16 mean that the opti isn't functioning right????? does anybody know what the purpose of the opti is??.............thanx................