LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Firestone quotes me $2,000+ to pass emissions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:04 PM

Firestone quotes me $2,000+ to pass emissions

Hey guys, I'm not very experienced with cars so I was wondering if you could help me out with this problem. I went to Firestone to get my car tested for emissions today and it failed. I had them run a diagnosis on it and they said that the problem was due to the Multi port fuel injectors.

They said that for a FJ164 Multi Port Injector, it would cost $208 EACH. So 8 of them, plus labor and taxes, would cost over 2 grand. I was wondering if that was right? I checked out ws6store, and they had injectors at sets of 8 for under $300. I was wondering if these will do the same job, and if they will allow me to pass Emissions?

I'm really undecided about what to do next. I was wondering if anyone could help me shed some light on the matter. Thanks a bunch for the help, I appreciate it.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:07 PM

Go to a real mechanic.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by km9v
Go to a real mechanic.
Haha, when I asked them to diagnosis it I figured it'd be a easy fix so I might as well just have them take care of it while I'm already there. Imagine my surprise. I don't understand what you mean, are you saying that the price is wrong or that their judgment is wrong?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by bhxgryphon
Haha, when I asked them to diagnosis it I figured it'd be a easy fix so I might as well just have them take care of it while I'm already there. Imagine my surprise. I don't understand what you mean, are you saying that the price is wrong or that their judgment is wrong?
Price is way wrong. Take your car to autozone or a shop that has an obd1 scanner and findout if it is thowing any codes first. Do you see any warning lights on the instrument cluster such as the Service Engine Soon light (SES)? If it is indeed your injectors you can buy a brand new stock set for less than $200 (that's all eight) and install them yourself in less than 30 mins. Very very easy. Let us know first what codes they give you so we can help you properly diagnose what is going on before you dump money into the wrong things.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:23 PM

As a shop owner I would question the diagnoses. Price wise IF you were to put 8 new Standard Motor FJ164 that wouldn't be too far off conisdering list pirce for that injector is 254.13, my cost being about $100 less. However you can get them through GM cheaper then that and better yet you can get an aftermarket set for the WAY less online.

What is the reason it failed the Emissions check?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Price is way wrong. Take your car to autozone or a shop that has an obd1 scanner and findout if it is thowing any codes first. Do you see any warning lights on the instrument cluster such as the Service Engine Soon light (SES)? If it is indeed your injectors you can buy a brand new stock set for less than $200 (that's all eight) and install them yourself in less than 30 mins. Very very easy. Let us know first what codes they give you so we can help you properly diagnose what is going on before you dump money into the wrong things.
Thanks for your quick response. I will go do that as soon as I get a chance. There isn't any warning lights. The only problem that I can think of that's related is that when I start my car sometimes it won't start on the first try, and I would have to treat it as if it has a carb and pump the gas. I know that you don't need to pump the gas with EFI, but it noticeably starts the car up when I do it. I don't know if that's related at all but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks once again.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by km9v
Go to a real mechanic.
^^^^^
I know that sounds bad, but he's right.

(A) I find it very hard to believe that ALL 8 of your injectors are bad.

(B) No way in hell does a set of injectors cost $2000.

If you want to do it on the cheap, there's people on here upgrading to larger injectors who end up selling their stock injectors all the time. You could probably get a good working set for $50-$75.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by IDAREU
As a shop owner I would question the diagnoses. Price wise IF you were to put 8 new Standard Motor FJ164 that wouldn't be too far off conisdering list pirce for that injector is 254.13, my cost being about $100 less. However you can get them through GM cheaper then that and better yet you can get an aftermarket set for the WAY less online.

What is the reason it failed the Emissions check?
Thanks, so does that mean the Ford SVO injectors I see online works as well and would allow me to pass Emissions?

It failed emissions due to an overall ASM fail.

HC (PPM)
Limit: 53
Emissions: 184

CO (%)
Limit: 0.28
Emissions: 0.89
Old 06-11-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho
^^^^^
I know that sounds bad, but he's right.

(A) I find it very hard to believe that ALL 8 of your injectors are bad.

(B) No way in hell does a set of injectors cost $2000.

If you want to do it on the cheap, there's people on here upgrading to larger injectors who end up selling their stock injectors all the time. You could probably get a good working set for $50-$75.
onebadponcho, thanks for the quick reply. That was what the Firestone manager said when he called me up and broke the bad news. =/
Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM

First, as suggested, get another opinion---also, why don't you attempt to go through emissions to see exactly where you stand before jumping to any conclusions. Also, at least here in Oregon, there is usually a shop close to the testing station that can do an analysis and fix, depending on the results of the testing. If not, there are plenty of shops that specically address the passing of emissions problems---give them a visit.

If your problem is your injectors, which I doubt, there are places that sell reconditioned/rebuilt injectors, if you want to go that route. Never take the word of a place like firestone as the last word--they also sell wheel covers. JMHO
Old 06-11-2008, 03:39 PM

i don't know where you are from but here in pa my inspection mechanic said that you only have to spend 150 dollars to attempt to get it to pass emmissions and then after you surpass $150 then you are automaticaly exempt and they would send a copy of your receipts with your hydrocarbon read out sheet...
Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 PM

Firestone...I kicked their *** a few years back when they tried to screw me....crooks.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:51 PM

Call them back and ask them how they cam to the conclustion that it was the injectors.
Tell them you talked to your brother who is a mechanic and he needs to know how the diagnosed the injectors. Tell them you want it in writing. Take it to a real mechanic nad see whats wrong with it, take that to firestone and demand your money back.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by bhxgryphon
onebadponcho, thanks for the quick reply. That was what the Firestone manager said when he called me up and broke the bad news. =/
i'm upgrading mine and would gladly sell them to you for 60 shipped... used for 48k miles...
Old 06-11-2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
Never take the word of a place like firestone as the last word--they also sell wheel covers. JMHO
Hahaha, I hear that Bubba.

Originally Posted by ZL1modified
i don't know where you are from but here in pa my inspection mechanic said that you only have to spend 150 dollars to attempt to get it to pass emmissions and then after you surpass $150 then you are automaticaly exempt and they would send a copy of your receipts with your hydrocarbon read out sheet...
Ah, good advice. I'm from CT, and I just checked on their site and they said that I would need to have spent over $660 in repairs before I qualify for a waiver. It is a good idea though and I may just have to end up resorting to that.

Originally Posted by CANTONRACER
Firestone...I kicked their *** a few years back when they tried to screw me....crooks.
hahaha

Originally Posted by 97formula1234
Call them back and ask them how they cam to the conclustion that it was the injectors.
Tell them you talked to your brother who is a mechanic and he needs to know how the diagnosed the injectors. Tell them you want it in writing. Take it to a real mechanic nad see whats wrong with it, take that to firestone and demand your money back.
sounds like a plan. I don't know how far that'd get me in getting my money back though. haha

Originally Posted by ZL1modified
i'm upgrading mine and would gladly sell them to you for 60 shipped... used for 48k miles...
For the entire set of 8? I'd definitely be interested in that if I find out for sure that it really is the injectors. I'll PM you when I find out. Thanks

Quick Reply: Firestone quotes me $2,000+ to pass emissions