LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Firing order maybe ?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 AM

Well if you can hear the pump prime and you confirmed you have no fuel pressure with a gauge at the shrader valve then you should already know where to look. You're problem is obviously fuel related if you're not getting any fuel pressure. Remove your fuel filter and turn the key to prime. Fuel should squirt out of the hose. If you have fuel there than you know the problem is from the filter forward, if not its from the filter back. Next attach the hose to the backside of the filter and remove the hose from the front side. Turn the key to prime. If you had fuel come out before the filter and not after your problem is more than likely the filter. The filters are directional as well, I have seen people install them backwards and it will block flow.

There aren't too many things in the fuel system that would stop flow. The main things that will cause a no start or misfire are fuel, ignition, or compression issues. You're car ran before the header install so that should rule out compression. You said you tested spark with a tester so that should rule out ignition. Fuel is what's left. Here's your list of things to look at.

1. Crimps in the lines, holes in them etc
2. Fuel filter. Check for direction of the filter, it also may be completely clogged.
3. Fuel pump. You're fuel pump can produce normal pressure but at the same time not be able to produce enough flow. So a fuel pressure reading is not the for sure way of finding out if your pump is any good.
4. Bad injectors. Although with one bad injector you're car should still start. I highly doubt more than one would go bad at the same exact time however.
5. Pickup screen on the filter itself, there is a screen in the tank that acts as a filter for the pump. This too can also get clogged up.

I doubt you have access to an oscilloscope, but if you do hook it up to the fuel pump and watch the screen while it primes. You should see what looks like a wavy pattern. If you see any flat spots in the pattern one of the windings in the pump is shot. Than you know you need a new pump.

Of course I have to repeat the obvious, double check all your electrical connections. Don't just look at them, physically pull them out and put them back in and make sure they are completely seated.