LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

First break down ever

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Re: First break down ever

Well i'm sad to report it's not the ignition switch. Started it this evening and didn't get 50 yards down the street before it shut down. Pulled into my neighbors driveway and tried starting it immediately with no luck. Let it sit about 2-3 minutes and it fired right up and i backed it into my garage and let it idle for about a minute with a couple of good revs and it was fine. If the ICM is getting too hot could that cause a problem like this? I know when i put it on it came with some sort of paste to put on the back of it almost like you would a heat sink for a computer. O2 sensors next? ICM?
Here's the log if anyone is interested.
http://www.mediafire.com/?9udktjexktxt219
Old 07-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Same thing.... PCM appears to have lost power on the PCM IGN side. Fuel and ignition readouts instantaneously drop to 0.

Are you experiencing extremely hot air temps, that might be causing a PCM problem?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:28 AM

What about some connection or plug that is not plugged in all the way or is damaged. I had my car towed and paid a lot of money to find something was loose and would not make contact sometimes and the car would die. Not sure what ones would cause your problem, but any related to the pcm would be a good idea. Hate to see you throw more money with guessing. You would think someone delt with this and the datalog would give the answer.

Last edited by mrmint69; 07-31-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: re worded
Old 07-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Same thing.... PCM appears to have lost power on the PCM IGN side. Fuel and ignition readouts instantaneously drop to 0.

Are you experiencing extremely hot air temps, that might be causing a PCM problem?
It's been extremely humid here in TX lately but the first time it did this it was storming and wasn't really as bad as it's been this last week. I think the heat index today is 100 and 105 for tomorrow. I think i'll cut my grass at night.

I plan on checking all my connections sometime today and really looking close underneath at the O2 wires to make sure they didn't get burnt. Driving me crazy here! I'm supposed to drop it off to get the whole top end replaced and a new cam in sep and i can't do that if i can't get it there.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Run a data log while driving, but rather than wait until the engine shuts off, simply turn the ignition key off, so we can compare what happens with your previous logs of the shutdowns.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:45 PM

Will do, if i can keep it running long enough to do that. lol Turn it completely off or just back one click so the engine shuts off?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Just turn the ignition key to off. That's the picture we need. What you do 5 seconds after is shuts off won't matter.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 PM

All the connections were good, nothing loose, split, or burnt. I'll run a log and shut the key off to see if that reveals anything useful.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:21 AM

It would be nice to have a spare PCM to test and see if the problem happens again. You mentioned the heat and I hear Texas is BAD! Did you ever notice a the problem being worse the hotter it got? Like Injuneer said, maybe the extreme heat is causing PCM problems. Might try running the datalog at the coolest weather you can get.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM

I think i might be on to something. I decided to pull my ICM and check the thermal compound on it and notice a distinct bump on the front side and what looks like a burn mark on the back.

I was looking at the shoebox's website i realized my ICM has been bolted directly to the head. I'm gonna space it as per shoebox's site and replace it with a new one and see how that works.

Last edited by dalynchmob; 08-05-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 PM

That's a negative. It idled in the driveway for about 10 minutes then died. Running log and shutting key off tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 PM

Have you replace the ICM yet?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:15 PM

Yes i did it before my last post and it was the same result. Luckily i swapped my old one for a new one for free under warranty instead of dropping 80 bucks.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Have you tried to run the car when its cool and hot out to see if the temperature is to blame?
Old 08-20-2011, 05:54 PM

Replace the O2 sensors with the AC delco brand ones. That's not the problem. What's next? Can heat effect a coil, opti, pcm? Here's the log. Driving me mad. Can't get my upgrades done until this is solved.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n0bl9lu36jn4ub4

Quick Reply: First break down ever