LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

First couple of mods???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 02:04 AM

First couple of mods???

Well i just got my 96 z28. The first mod is gonna be a clutch since my stock clutch is gone. I'm still trying to find out what a good clutch to get is. I heard that centerforce isn't good for camaro's. I can't find a performance guide or anything like that. So what would be the best first couple of mods to do. I was thinking of getting a moroso cai, and flowmaster exaust. But i been reading about how people said not to get flowmaster. I have also heard alot about cut-outs but not sure where they should be put. Right before the cat or right after? I know alot about cars just not alot about these cars. I last to cars were a dodge stealth r/t, and eagle talon tsi. I decided to get away from turbo's and go with a v8. So some help would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:21 AM

hey, drewstealth.

are you related to bauerstealth by any chance? j/k.

Welcome to the board, and congrats on your 96 z28. These cars are awesome.

Anyhow, I recently put in an slp clutch and pressure plate assembly - it cost me roughly $320, and the clutch is an awesome setup that a lot of people seem to like. Its a good clutch for a good price.

Get a CAI first, and for an exhaust, my personal recommendation is the hooker cat-back. Its cheap ($300), looks okay, and sounds great. I'm not one for obnoxiously loud cars, so the flowmaster I used to have came off, and in went in the hooker - I love it 10 times more. Its quiet at idle and low throttle, but once you stomp the gas, it gets pretty loud and just roars away. And people say that the hookers outflow flowmasters.

As for your cutout, most people put it behind the cat, right in front of the rear axle.

Anyhow, I see that you're located in fairfield, ca. I'm in berkeley/oakland, by the way, if you're ever in this area, send me a PM, we'll hang out if you'd like.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:34 AM

i agree with everything that was said above.

if you are looking for a cheap exhaust the hooker is the way to go, but you could also look into systems like the Magnaflow (link in my sig) which are great flowing, have a polished stainless muffler and 3.5" polished tips which both look fantastic. the magnaflow flows fantastic and has an awesome sound even at idle and it really screams at WOT.

any cold air induction will help, but i'd stay away from the G2 unit, it is better than stock but not as good as K&N/morosso etc...

a cutout is definatly worth while, you'll have to put it behind the cat (before the rear axle is a good spot as recomnended) since the 96 is obd2 which has "after-cat" O2 sensors.

since you have the M6, you may want to get the CAGS eliminator, to remove the peskey skip shift mechanism...it's a real pain
Old 03-18-2003, 09:26 AM

Id say if you have the money, look into Corsa exhaust. Its more on the expensive side at 700 or so i believe but it sounds amazing. i think its worth the money cuz i love the sound

just my opinion
Old 03-18-2003, 09:51 AM

I also agree with what was said above. I personally have the SLP clutch with the pressure plate and it works great!!! My stock clutch crapped out on me at 50,000 MILES!!! They are good clutches and rated at handling up to 350 to the rears which you wont reach with all bolt ons so your fine for a while. I also have a cutout which i highly recomend. It is very loud but it flows the best. And def. put it AFTER the cat so your ok emissions wise. Get some headers and make it even DEEPER!! But thats later. On the intake side of things i would go K&N FIPK. or moroso but i saw good gains with the K&N. Sorry so long and good luck modding. You will definately love the V8 torque compared to your previous cars. Its a differnet kind of fast.

Chris
Old 03-18-2003, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. What is the M6? I will definitly get the cags eliminator because even though i only gotta drive the car for about 1 hr before the clutch went out on me, the skip shift was real annoying. I had magnaflow exaust on my stealth and it was a good exaust. So maybe i will get that. I heard a lot of good things about the cutout so i will get one of those. I couldn't seem to find the clutch package on slp's page so i will call them. But since i'm sort of broke right now $320 is a good price. Also are there any free mods?
Old 03-18-2003, 12:55 PM

m6 = manual six speed...least i hope you have one since you are replacing a clutch.

about the best free mod you can do is the throttle body bypass, it's pretty simple and if you do a search you could easily find all the info you need on it.

dyno graph done by BMR

as for other free mods, you could descreen the maf sensor and if you are brave port out the material in the center. this is a HIGHLY debated topic. some claim it totally fubars thier car, but i have not had any problems with mine (i bought the composite maf ends instead of messing with the stocker).
Old 03-18-2003, 08:42 PM

My first few mods would be:
!CAGS and Throttle Body bypass
Subframe connectors and LCAs
Pro 5.0 Shifter
Then hp mods - First CAI and headers
Old 03-18-2003, 09:15 PM

CAI
LCAs
SFCs
cat-back
headers
then drag radials or gears
Old 03-19-2003, 03:10 AM

Can you clarify on the lca's, and sfc's. And the purpose of each.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:40 AM

i wouldn't worry about getting LCA's unless you changed tire sizes..

LCAs are lower control arms, it'll help your car plant its rear tires to the pavement.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:27 AM

All the mods in your post are great ones but one that i see no one has mentioned is a 160 thermostat and a manual fan switch,if you do any street racing then you know it sometimes take awhile to get the cars lined up and when the temp starts to rise on these cars the power starts to go down.I have had alot of street races and the best mod that i have put on my car is the fan switch,if your racing a car that is very close to yours having the temp on your car at or below 175 can be the difference between winning and losing,and the great thing about this mod is that it is very cheap.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by drewstealth
Can you clarify on the lca's, and sfc's. And the purpose of each.
LCAs: http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-body...tm#controlarms Scroll down to control arms
SFCs: http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyChassis.htm scroll down to subframe connectors
Old 03-19-2003, 09:36 AM

all of the advice so far is good.

i would suggest a CAI and cat-back OF YOUR CHOICE, along with all of the free (or damn near free ) mods including- MAF descreen, 160* Therm, fan switch mod, gutting cats for starters. depending on what your states emissions are like, you may not want to do the latter unless you've got a hook up somewhere.

and what the guy above said about the temp is ABSOLUTEY correct. our cars get hot very quick and when they get hot they lose alot of power. if your temp is above 160-175*, expect to lose anywhere from .2 (in the 1/4) on up depending on exactly where it is.

and lastly, alot of the things that have already been stated for free mods (MAF descreen, therm., gutted cats) are very debated topics on this board. you will hear alot of people say that it wont make any difference or it's a waste of time. just make sure you read everyones thoughts on these and then make your own desicion(sp).

good luck and welcome!!

jon