LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fitting the Holley Stealth Ram to LT1 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 01:32 PM

Fitting the Holley Stealth Ram to LT1 heads?

This is a 2 part question aimed at anyone such as HotRodHawk or Ken Mook who I believe may have experience with this or a related issue from what I have heard...

Holley offers the Stealth Ram MPFI package designed for 85-92 TPIs, however I am interested in getting this system fitted to my LT1 if possible....the other option as of now is the Edelbrock Victor EFI manifold, which also looks like a great piece.

To my understanding they require redrilling and tapping of holes for the middle bolts..Is this all that is involved? The Holley I am worried will not clear the area where the manifold sits under the dash.
2 things specific to Holley after getting off their Tech Line:
1-It is 10.25" tall
2-An employee/customer (couldnt quite tell who the rep was referring to) did this exact idea already...but the rep was unsure how much more involved it was, he is getting back to me sometime

For now I need input regarding this Holley idea...along with the parallel idea of: Edelbrock Victor EFI + Accufab 4BBL Throttle Body + Edelbrock fuel rails...

Either setup from what I have been reading and told from others may be good for upwards of 35-50hp and equal torque.

Throw any and all ideas at me please!
Old 08-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Re: Fitting the Holley Stealth Ram to LT1 heads?

The HSR won't fit out of the box under the cowl. Bolt holes wont line up. etc etc Lot more work than it looks like. From everything I've ever looked at a single plane like a super vic or vic jr. with a 4 bbl throttle body and a duct like Jeff made me before (pics on my website) seems like the easiest solution.

Bret could answer a lot of your questions as he has dealt with a lot of this stuff.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:19 PM

Thanks Ken, I was leaning towards the edelbrock setup anyway, because the accufab tb as provisions for the factory vacuum lines from what I have heard...Also, that adapter you are talking about you sold to a guy named Jared I believe, and I have been in touch with him the last few days...so we'll see how this pans out, thanks for the info!
Old 08-12-2004, 04:49 PM

I have been thinking about this idea for a while. I don't have the cowl problems because my lt1 is in an Iroc. I hope to start on the project soon.
Kory
Old 08-12-2004, 04:59 PM

Isn't the Stealth ram basically an LT1 type manifold anyway? Consittering the Stock manifold with porting can support over 600HP, why would you change it?
Old 08-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Consittering the Stock manifold with porting can support over 600HP, why would you change it?
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269714
Old 08-12-2004, 05:21 PM

Of course the manifold can support 600, thats great, that same hypothetical car could be "supporting" 650 with revised manifold specs....the lt1 intake is not what its cracked up to be...air distribution is lacking and runner design is pretty much sacrificing torque...

I have been told expect +40hp or so out of the edelbrock design with 4 bbl tb....not to mention its unique, simply porting an lt1 intake is not the best route if money is going to be spent as far as I am concerned...

AHH Ken, the infamous link.....LOL, thats practically a punishment having to sift through all that info Keep us posted when you get the PRO RAM up and working!
Old 08-12-2004, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by SLeePer350
Of course the manifold can support 600, thats great, that same hypothetical car could be "supporting" 650 with revised manifold specs....the lt1 intake is not what its cracked up to be...air distribution is lacking and runner design is pretty much sacrificing torque...
Air distribution isn't a problem. The runners are all the same length... basically like a stubby tunnel ram. The runner is as good as it gets for what you have to work with. Can't make chicken salad from chicken ****.

I have been told expect +40hp or so out of the edelbrock design with 4 bbl tb....not to mention its unique, simply porting an lt1 intake is not the best route if money is going to be spent as far as I am concerned...
No doubt about it... there's always something better out there. Just gotta find one with the best bang for your buck. That's the real toughy.

-Mindgame
Old 08-12-2004, 07:07 PM

Here are some pics of a Holley Stealth Ram that Bret converted for me.

http://community.webshots.com/script...umID=172304061

He did a really nice job, but it's not gonna fit under the cowl without a sawsall. I have a Corvette Big Block Style hood on my race car so the hood is not a problem, but I'm not sure it will fit under the stock hood.

I won't say exactly what Bret charged me to convert it (Not sure Bret would want me to do that...I'll let him do it if he wants to.) but I also have to get fuel rails (the stock ones won't work) and have it milled and ported to match my heads as well as figure out how to run the air intake. I haven't figured out whether the LT1 throttle body will work, but I heard that it doesn't without some modification. Holley recommends the L98 style throttle body. So till it's all said and done it is not a cheap deal.

This is going on my race car, so I have decided with all that I have to do to make this thing work, I am going to wait till the racing season is over and make this a winter project. So I won't have any results anytime soon.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:41 PM

You need to log out of webshots and then post a link to your pics.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:53 PM

Ah that would explain why I couldnt get on it either....

Yeah I think I am actually leaning towards the Edelbrock setup, unfortunately the real kick in the ***** in the $525 throttle body from Accufab that mates to the vic jr...are there any other options as far as 4 bbl tb's are concerned? The lower manifold is only $300 though which isn't too bad, and rails are only $80...
Old 08-12-2004, 09:05 PM

Sorry. Try this........http://community.webshots.com/album/172304061TCMIuE
Old 08-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally Posted by SLeePer350
Ah that would explain why I couldnt get on it either....

Yeah I think I am actually leaning towards the Edelbrock setup, unfortunately the real kick in the ***** in the $525 throttle body from Accufab that mates to the vic jr...are there any other options as far as 4 bbl tb's are concerned? The lower manifold is only $300 though which isn't too bad, and rails are only $80...
You can try force-efi.com, but i think they are around the same price. Oh and its not really bad when you consider a Monoblade is about $550.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:05 AM

Interesting. Is there any reason Bret added the map sensor to the top of that manifold instead of to the side? I'd like to do that to mine, but I think the side or back of the plenum would be cleaner.

A Holley TB is over $500 as well.

Last edited by 97WS6SCharged; 08-13-2004 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
Interesting. Is there any reason Bret added the map sensor to the top of that manifold instead of to the side? I'd like to do that to mine, but I think the side or back of the plenum would be cleaner.

A Holley TB is over $500 as well.
I'm not exactly sure why Bret did it that way. Maybe he will chime in and explain. Bret? If you look at picture #2 you will see that he cut the top of the plenum off at an angle in the back. He did this and milled the fins off the top hoping to give me more room to fit it under the cowl, but it still won't work without cutting a notch out of the cowl. That's not a problem on my race car, but it would be a problem with a street car since that's where the windshield wiper motor is located.