LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fuel Pump ? (MP3 sound inside)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 06:20 PM

Fuel Pump ? (MP3 sound inside)

Is the whirling sound at the beginning of this clip before I try to start the car the fuel pump?

Click Here for MP3

Also, I cant seem to figure out which fuse goes to the fuel pump under the hood.. My label doesnt say.. Help?

P.S. How hard is it to change the fuel pump?

Last edited by bobbykokinos; 10-30-2003 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:40 PM

All I hear are some clicks that I can't tell what they are and then the the freakin dinger and then the car trying to start. try doing it again with the door closed and the seat belt fastened. Also if you put the recording source either in the back or outside towards the back of the car will help us here the fuel pump trying to prime.

The fuel pump will make noise when you turn the ignition to the on position. It will sound like a vibration for about 1-2 seconds coming from the rear of the car.

Z~

Edit: a fuel pump is no easy task you can either drop the tank out or cut the floor in the trunk area (I wouldn't but people have with success). Either way its not as easy as doing basic maintenance.

Last edited by ZLT195; 10-30-2003 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by ZLT195
All I hear are some clicks that I can't tell what they are and then the the freakin dinger and then the car trying to start. try doing it again with the door closed and the seat belt fastened. Also if you put the recording source either in the back or outside towards the back of the car will help us here the fuel pump trying to prime.

The fuel pump will make noise when you turn the ignition to the on position. It will sound like a vibration for about 1-2 seconds coming from the rear of the car.

Z~

Edit: a fuel pump is no easy task you can either drop the tank out or cut the floor in the trunk area (I wouldn't but people have with success). Either way its not as easy as doing basic maintenance.
The noise that you hear winding down at 7secs on the MP3
Old 10-30-2003, 06:58 PM

I pretty sure that was your starter. The fuel pump doesn't sound anything like that Or would it be that loud.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:20 PM

mine also does the same exact thing if I put the key in the "on" position, then turn it back off. I asked a mechanic and he said its one of the ABS things under the hood.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:32 PM

check the following, spark, compression and fuel pressure. if all are ok then squirt fuel into the throttle body and try cranking.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by slopokrodrigez
check the following, spark, compression and fuel pressure. if all are ok then squirt fuel into the throttle body and try cranking.
Yeah its the fuel pump.. I sprayed fuel and it fired up..
Old 10-30-2003, 08:35 PM

may be the relay or connections. dont jump to conclusions with out checking the easy stuff first
Old 10-30-2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by slopokrodrigez
may be the relay or connections. dont jump to conclusions with out checking the easy stuff first
Had the relay checked, its fine.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:48 PM

My fuel pump relay took a dump on me! Couldn't hear the fuel pump turn on! Had to replace it with one from Kragen! It was located behind the plastic where you rest your left foot!
Old 10-30-2003, 09:35 PM

that sounded like the air pump to me. The fuel pump would make a lower pitch noise.

Doesn't the VATS kill the signal to the fuel pump too? Have you checked voltages to the fuel pump?
Old 10-30-2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Hotwire
that sounded like the air pump to me. The fuel pump would make a lower pitch noise.

Doesn't the VATS kill the signal to the fuel pump too? Have you checked voltages to the fuel pump?
How do I go about doing that?? I know where the relay is, but I dont know what contacts to put the (+) (-) from my voltmeter on to check..
Old 10-30-2003, 09:58 PM

bout the only thing I can say is check w/ Shoebox or get a haynes manual. I have the Helms factory service manual for mine and know what every wire / connection / pin is on my whole setup. and yeah, they probably changed a lot from 94 to 96, so I really think I'd be wasting your time posting my info....

good luck.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:11 PM

yo! tHAT NOISE IS YOUR AIRPUMP MY f&%$^&* CAR IS DOING THE SAME THING..THAT WITH OUT A DOUBT IS THE AIRPUMP..... i AM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH MY CAR....iF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME THAT IT IS THE AIR PUMP OPEN YOUR KEY AND THEN CLOSE IT. tHEIR IS NO NEED TO TRY TO START THE CAR TO HEAR IT......i DO KNOW THAT SHOEBOX IS THE BEST AROUND FOR WHAT I'VE HEARED SO HOPEFULLY HE CAN HELP FINDING THE PROBLEM.....
Old 10-30-2003, 10:25 PM

have either of you tried cleaning the resistor contacts in your keys w/ rubbing alcohol to see if it's vats acting up? Mine's been deleted off the ecm, so I don't really remember how it initializes.

did this just happen all of a sudden or was it a gradual thing?

Did you look in your owner's manual for fuse locations?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump ? (MP3 sound inside)