LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fuel pump runs, bad check valve = no start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 PM

Unhappy Fuel pump runs, bad check valve = no start?

93 Z28 A4, stock except muffler-back (some generic single in, dual out from previous owner)

So I installed a new fuel pump... in a parking lot at 3am. Needless to say, I used the trap door method. New sock, new filter, and I replaced about 6 feet of line that looked pretty ugly. Didn't trust it to hold pressure from a new pump. After that, it ran fine for a few days and ~40 miles. Actually started faster than my friends 2010 SS. Pulled it into the driveway, changed the rotten oil pan, reattached and tacked the oil pump pickup that was laying in the pan , and fixed a few nagging exhaust issues that I was going to save for when I install long tubes.

Car's still on jack stands a few days later so I can check to see what I screwed up and/or is leaking, but at KOEO, there's 0 psi at the rail -immediately- once the pump shuts off, and no start. Relay's good, and you can hear the pump run. Spark is fine, 2 month old opti, fresh delco plugs/wires, MSD coil. If I use the prime connector (thanks, shoebox!) the pump runs, and you can hear fuel going back down the return line, but still no start. I've checked for leaks, even took the lid back off the trap door and made sure all the connections were secure. Nada.

After searching, it sounds like the check valve in the pump took a hike... But what from what I understand, that should just cause a hard start instead of a no start. It's an airtex pump, which I don't have a lot of faith in, but I still feel like I'm missing something. Any ideas before I rip the pump out and head back to the parts store?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:22 PM

Re: Fuel pump runs, bad check valve = no start?

Was it just the pump or the whole assembly that you replaced? If it was just the pump the hose may have come off or loose and fuel pressure is being bled off before it builds right at the connection.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 PM

Just the pump, kept the old sender. I'll pull it and double check, should get back to you within an hour. Never thought of it, even though I really should have. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 PM

The hose looked okay, but when I put it back together (thumping the pump once for good measure) it worked just fine. 42 psi at KOEO, and still in the 30's about 10 minutes later. I'm gonna call it a fluke, since a buddy of mine has a tow truck now. Where was he last week?! I'll keep you guys posted if anything happens/changes. Thanks, mystery bird.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:25 AM

Never EVER buy important electrical items from a cheap auto parts store. Those items include the fuel pump, alternator, starter, O2s, distributors and several motors.

When you thumped the pump and it started working, you proved it is defective. It won't be the last time this happens.

If you do a search, you will see many have a problem with that companies pumps.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5140554AA3zFZU

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t927...er_beware.html

Luckily you have a trap door. You're gona use it again. I promise you.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:45 PM

At 3am, I didn't have much choice besides waking up a friend of mine and making him open his store. I ordered a different pump today, and will be changing it out next week once it's a bit warmer here.