LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 10:31 PM

fuel smell

Hi nice to meet every one i am new here !
i am geting a fuel smell from the rear area of my car . the car doesnt get driven a hole lot . but when i shut it off i have been smelling a fuel smell . i have not checked to see if it there when its runing. i always forget too check . but i do notice that when i try to start it a few weeks later she has to crank more than i think she should , like fuel is going some were ?
car is a 96 ss camaro with 60 k miles
any help or thoughts would be great
thanks chad
Old 02-25-2005, 10:33 PM

Re: fuel smell

fuel lines or pump, mine went at 75000
Old 02-25-2005, 11:01 PM

The evaporative canister (charcoal canister) is located in the driver's side rear wheel well. This is another source for the fuel smell.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:58 AM

The evaporative canister (charcoal canister) is located in the driver's side rear wheel well. This is another source for the fuel smell.
True ..and the usual culprit is a bad purge valve. Steven
Old 02-26-2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by triumph
True ..and the usual culprit is a bad purge valve. Steven
steven how do u fix a bad purge valve ? how much are they ? how hard are they to fix ? is it located on top of the canister ?
The car use to never smell like this . its been doing it for a littel while now . but now that i am on this web site i think u guys can give me a hand fixing some problems ?
thanks chad
Old 02-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Administrator

The purge valve is located on a bracket on the passenger side of the intake manifold. You need to bookmark Shoebox's Tech Pages... he has photos of just about everything:

http://shbox.com/1/evap_sol.jpg

Before you start replacing things, make sure you know what the problem is. Could be rotted rubber lines for the "EVAP" system... they are on top of the fuel tank and hard to inspect. Could be a saturated charcoal canister. Could be a faulty purge valve. Could be a fuel line leak. Could be a loose or missing fill cap (checked it lately? ).

Your 96 will set OBD-II codes for a faulty EVAP purge solenoid, and has a flow detector switch that will detect "no flow when purging" and "flow when not purging". Is you SES light on at all? Have you ever had is scanned for codes?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:44 PM

The purge valve in located on the intake manifold .... just replace it they cost about $30 at the dealer. Check your lines first for leaks. Steven
Old 02-27-2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The purge valve is located on a bracket on the passenger side of the intake manifold. You need to bookmark Shoebox's Tech Pages... he has photos of just about everything:

http://shbox.com/1/evap_sol.jpg

Before you start replacing things, make sure you know what the problem is. Could be rotted rubber lines for the "EVAP" system... they are on top of the fuel tank and hard to inspect. Could be a saturated charcoal canister. Could be a faulty purge valve. Could be a fuel line leak. Could be a loose or missing fill cap (checked it lately? ).

Your 96 will set OBD-II codes for a faulty EVAP purge solenoid, and has a flow detector switch that will detect "no flow when purging" and "flow when not purging". Is you SES light on at all? Have you ever had is scanned for codes?

no lights on ( check eng) ect , do fuel caps go bad ? if not i will start checking lines then throw parts i guess ?