LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Funny Story/ Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 08:23 AM

Funny Story/ Warning

So I ruined my opti 2 weeks ago when I pulled a the fan switch plug out of the water pump. So I ordered my opti from Dal waited 5 days. Got it on monday, installed it yesterday. It fired up on the first try, no problems! Hooray!

I also had hooked up my fan switch which I wasn't sure if it was staying on or not. So drove a little while and got out of the car to check to make sure they were on.

Well they were on, but the bleeder valve was open. I quickly ran back to the car to shut it off. Alas, I already saw it. Service Engine Soon.

Yup, the opti is toast. I couldn't start it, I tried drying it off to no aval. I got it to fire up one last time, so I was able to avoid a tow truck charge.

Today I am ripping it off and I'm gonna try again.

These things are way too sensitive, you know it would help if they made them water proof.

- Z28WannaB
Old 03-24-2005, 08:28 AM

Re: Funny Story/ Warning

Originally Posted by Z28WannaB
you know it would help if they made them water proof.
- Z28WannaB
I've been saying that for years. Why would they continue to make something that sensitive to moisture without waterproofing it. You should send that one back and tell them it didn't work to start with. Is there a waranty with it?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:30 AM

not sure I exactly follow what was leaking? What bleeder valve? Are you talking about the ECT?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:33 AM

Did you bother to check the code rather than assuming it was the opti?

I had an intermittent water pump leak for several thousand miles and it never bothered my opti.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:49 AM

1-bad-z28 I totally agree with you, yes I am taking it to the dealer, it was a faulty design on their part. They're gonna have to pay for it.

Disco- You know on the top of the water pump the housing for the thermostat. There is that metal piece that comes off it has two bolts on it, and towards the rubber hose it has a screw. Thats the bleeder valve, its for removing air out of your cooling system. Basically it was open when I installed my pump. So it sprayed flud all over my engine.

ShoeBox - I did just assume it was the opti, but first of all. Its covered in fluid, so I know that it definitely got wet. Secondly it has the symptoms of the opti. And Third of all it didn't have the problem until it got drenched.

It is unfortuante, but I will be pulling my opti. Does anyone know do all GM dealerships have my information about my warrantied items? Or do I have to go to the dealer I bought it from?

- Z28WannaB

Originally Posted by shoebox
Did you bother to check the code rather than assuming it was the opti?

I had an intermittent water pump leak for several thousand miles and it never bothered my opti.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:41 AM

My original opti lasted 78k miles with constant power washes and rain driving. I put a new one on with the new motor and continue to power wash it. I believe a lot of "opti failures and fixes" are coincidence and mis-diagnosis.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:47 AM

That brings up a good question...Almost every time I wash my car I spray down the engine compartment, not drowning it mind you, just a quick once over-wash some things-another quick spray and done. Is this a mistake? Should I stop doing this and start cleaning everything by hand? Will I fry my opti? I replaced it 2 years ago and don't want to have to do that any time soon!

Sounds like you might've gotten your hands on a bad part.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:57 AM

From what I always read here...most will tell you not to wash the engine, so it's up to you whether you want to risk it or not.

FWIW, I spray my entire engine throughly on the engine degreaser setting, then wash the car completely, then come back on the low pressure rinse and do the engine compartment again. The only thing I cover is the Crane ignition box with a towel, and only because I killed several before (all were the previous designs though and replaced for free).

Often times it's an intermittent wire, bad coil, burned wire...I wish I had a dime for every "opti failure" that gets replaced and still has the same problem soon after. Too many people change a part, and assume it was bad if the problem appears to have gone away. It could simply be that there is an intermittent problem, or something else inadvertantly got corrected along the way; i.e. intermittent wire, bad connection, etc. Few go to the trouble or have the proper skills/tools to gather the necessary data first, and find the real root cause.

As always, just my opinion and YMMV!

Last edited by BlownF1; 03-24-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:02 PM

Um, don't unplug your fan sensor and don't leave your bleeder valve screw out. Bam, you saved about $600.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:44 PM

I have always washed my engine bay. I always start the car up before i do it though. Not sure if that makes a difference but if it starts to stumble i quit and start revving it a little. This has been working for me for the past 5 years.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:45 PM

If you bought the opti from dal there is a one year warrenty on all gm parts. He replaced mine that I bought from him and the warrenty only had like two weeks left on it. Worth a shot.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by rickyzZ28
If you bought the opti from dal there is a one year warrenty on all gm parts. He replaced mine that I bought from him and the warrenty only had like two weeks left on it. Worth a shot.
...and you wil have to go back through Dal to get the warranty, I would be pretty sure. No other dealership is going to have any info about where you bought parts.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by BlownF1
My original opti lasted 78k miles with constant power washes and rain driving. I put a new one on with the new motor and continue to power wash it. I believe a lot of "opti failures and fixes" are coincidence and mis-diagnosis.

i agree with that. mine gets wet all the time. Stilll works fine at about 120000 miles
Old 03-24-2005, 03:19 PM

I suspect you have never tried to disassemble an opti. Because if you had youd find they are sealed very well and are quite resistant to water despite what some people believe. This may not be true of an old unvented opti but any newer vented unit will have a rubber seal glued between each section. I guess if you dropped one in a bucket of water you might be in trouble but a few drops of coolant on the case wont hurt a thing.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:43 PM

They arent as fragile as a lot of peaple think...I bet if you let the wires dry its good to go.

Quick Reply: Funny Story/ Warning