LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Funny Story/ Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 03:55 PM

Re: Funny Story/ Warning

I get her wet all the time. Doesn't bother her.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:04 PM

Let it dry a couple of days. It might begin working properly after it dries.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:04 PM

I have heard the rotor design is for junk, thats probably a weak link.Besides I had over a 100k on my opti. I never washed it either and always kept it dry but it was a non vented opti and it IS expensive so I didn't chance it.100k on a cap and rotor is great!Yes it had a stumble to it, but it always started , never leaving me stranded.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:46 PM

I would think a good seal from clear RTV all the way around the seam and some dielectric grease in the connector would go a long way.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:03 PM

Yeah, don't get into accidents either.

Way to point out the obvious jack ***.

Incidently GM replaced my Opti free of charge, I am on my third install. My buddy threw it on but didn't align the crank pin correctly.

- Z28WannaB

Originally Posted by Loadre
Um, don't unplug your fan sensor and don't leave your bleeder valve screw out. Bam, you saved about $600.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:04 PM

That actually sounds like a really good idea man.

- Z28WannaB

Originally Posted by slopokrodrigez
I would think a good seal from clear RTV all the way around the seam and some dielectric grease in the connector would go a long way.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:06 PM

I had the Manager at Vandevere Olds fax me a copy of my reciept and warranty, and I went to a local dealership. They made me fill out a form but he came back like a second later with a brand new opti.

- Z28WannaB

Originally Posted by shoebox
...and you wil have to go back through Dal to get the warranty, I would be pretty sure. No other dealership is going to have any info about where you bought parts.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Z28WannaB
I had the Manager at Vandevere Olds fax me a copy of my reciept and warranty, and I went to a local dealership. They made me fill out a form but he came back like a second later with a brand new opti.

- Z28WannaB
That's cool. I guess if you had your receipt, you may have been able to get one without having to contact VanDevere.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Z28WannaB
Yeah, don't get into accidents either.

Way to point out the obvious jack ***.

Incidently GM replaced my Opti free of charge, I am on my third install. My buddy threw it on but didn't align the crank pin correctly.

- Z28WannaB
I'm just saying don't rag on what a POS it is when the whole reason it went out both times is user error. Nice flame.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:32 PM

...and you wil have to go back through Dal to get the warranty, I would be pretty sure. No other dealership is going to have any info about where you bought parts.
I did the same thing Z28WannaB did, I originally bought one from the Las Vegas. I took my reciept from there and went to a local dealer and got a new opti. Of course it took 2-3 days to get it in stock.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:56 PM

Yeah they never sent me one.

EDIT: It came in a box with absolutely nothing it in but the opti. I called Dal but apparently he was sick, so I had to get a hold of someone.

- Z28WannaB

That's cool. I guess if you had your receipt, you may have been able to get one without having to contact VanDevere.

Last edited by Z28WannaB; 03-25-2005 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:01 AM

If anyone was sending flames it was you for being a jerk coming in my thread pointing out obvious mistakes that I admited to in the first place.

Thats like me going into a thread where someone ran their motor without oil and saying "next time don't run your motor without oil". Its obviously insulting and stating information already known, so don't pretend what you said was not intended to be rude.

You should try to be more constructive.

- Z28WAnnaB

Originally Posted by Loadre
I'm just saying don't rag on what a POS it is when the whole reason it went out both times is user error. Nice flame.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by 1-bad-z28
I've been saying that for years. Why would they continue to make something that sensitive to moisture without waterproofing it. You should send that one back and tell them it didn't work to start with. Is there a waranty with it?

They don't...they simply eliminated the problem by eliminated the Opti alltogether.... hence coil packs...LS-1

why fumble correcting old technology?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:01 AM

The opti IS a sealed unit... hence the reason why they vented the later model ones. If it wasn't sealed (or at least intended to be sealed) there wouldn't be much of a point to that. I had a water pump gasket leak for a couple thousand miles, never bothered my opti- it did **** off my belt though, started losing power steering.

A lot of other vehicles use setups similar to the optispark. I don't see why anyone would want to go to a different system, it is accurate and reliable. Heck, my auto transmission only lasted 10k longer than my cap and rotor, and the optical part is still going strong at 97k (knock on wood ). If you're really concerned about a cap & rotor replacement every 50-100k miles, just get a Delteq or LTCC. And slopokrodrigez brings up a good point that sealing it up more may preserve the opti longer.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by GreenDemon
The opti IS a sealed unit... hence the reason why they vented the later model ones. If it wasn't sealed (or at least intended to be sealed) there wouldn't be much of a point to that. I had a water pump gasket leak for a couple thousand miles, never bothered my opti- it did **** off my belt though, started losing power steering.

A lot of other vehicles use setups similar to the optispark. I don't see why anyone would want to go to a different system, it is accurate and reliable. Heck, my auto transmission only lasted 10k longer than my cap and rotor, and the optical part is still going strong at 97k (knock on wood ). If you're really concerned about a cap & rotor replacement every 50-100k miles, just get a Delteq or LTCC. And slopokrodrigez brings up a good point that sealing it up more may preserve the opti longer.
It's not the opti that's weak... jsut it's location....as we all know

Quick Reply: Funny Story/ Warning