LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Funny Story/ Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 08:46 AM

Re: Funny Story/ Warning

Well you must admit its a bit sensitive, the location definitely blows.

Anyone who thought it might be something else, I got my new opti installed. Everything was tight as hell this time, and the car runs GREAT.

My first opti, the old one that I ruined with the fan plug didn't even run this smooth. I think my first one must have been bad already, when I opened it up it looked very old inside. A shop ruined it, and they put a "new one" in. The cap looked especially old.

Now I'm off to order a cut-out, and an intake. :-D! Already bought plugs and plug wires, Im dreading that but my friend from autozone did it on his car so we're gonna try mine. However as of this moment its getting an oil change.

Thanks for the posts.

- Z28WannaB

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
It's not the opti that's weak... jsut it's location....as we all know
Old 03-25-2005, 08:46 AM

So did you have to have your old one with you when you went to get the replacement? I got a new one from Dal last summer, and it crapped out just as I was putting the car away, and I need to get a new one. The only problem is that I am only able to go home on the weekends, and it would be a pain in the *** to have the car torn apart for a week .
Old 03-25-2005, 11:45 AM

Yes, you must have the old one with you. They will do a straight swap.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:24 PM

thats exactly what i was thinking. if the water pump or the opti was in a different location things wouldnt be as bad.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:11 PM

There are only two possible locations for the opti, the front or the back. The back sucks because how the hell would you remove it, and you still have the possible intake manifold leak to contend with.

The front sucks because you have to deal with the water pump and the intake leak, plus road debree and grime.

However the poor location aside, the optis short comings are its own design flaw. It was going to be used on the front of the engine, it should have been engineered to be waterproof obviously it was going to take absuse from the road, rain, waterpump, intake leak. Its obvious it could have been designed to accept those abuses better. As it is, its held together with a few screws sealed with tape no less.

- Z28WannaB

Originally Posted by Evil Eric
thats exactly what i was thinking. if the water pump or the opti was in a different location things wouldnt be as bad.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:04 PM

In the new issue of GMHTP, Joe O. is still running his stock 94 opti and he runs in the deep 9 sec, so Yeah, the location bites, but I was probably to careful and didn't get it wet or drive it when it was raining out. Probably why my underside is so nice I don't swear near as much when I am under the car as I do in the engine bay