LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Gains from Longtubes on a stock motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 10:05 AM

did he go from shorties to LT's? The 96-97's suffer from poor exhaust choices to begin with because of the cat design...I'm willing to bet had he gone from stock manifolds to a 94-95 style header/y-pipe he would have seen the same gains.

I didn't say dual exhaust is necessary, but IMO its certainly a big help. (that or dual 3" going into one 4" y-pipe) I'll bet if he stops shoving those dual 3" pipes into one 3" pipe he would gain even more power
Old 02-14-2003, 10:15 AM

Magius I agree with you that y-pipes are a not so great design. I myself would go true duals if it didn't cost 800+ at most shops. Even getting hook ups for those are difficult considering that F-body's aren't true duals stock. I think shorties are fine for a mild/bolt on car, but for those who have bigger plans down the lines, doing it right the first time with LT's and 4inch catback or true duals if you can afford it is the only way to go. Why spend the time putting on shorties, to just sellem at a loss to get LT's. I don't know many high hp LT1's (500rwhp-600rwhp), but I'm pretty sure they still use the y-pipe design even with that much power. So in short..true duals good, but Y-pipe good enough.

Alex
Old 02-14-2003, 10:26 AM

My car dynoed 255/289 to the wheels with nothing but a Dynomax ultraflow muffler and a K&N. After the FLP longtubes (cutout was closed for the dyno test) it made 282/317. That's a 27 HP, 28 ft-lbs gain from longtubes alone...cutout would have probably added 2-3 on top of that (I don't notice much difference in ET or MPH between the cutout open/closed).
Old 02-15-2003, 07:45 AM

Look at my sig. Its after a Hooker LT install-mufflex Y pipe. At that time I also added a CSI waterpump. Before that the car was running 13.8@101. So I gained almost nothing. Have no idea what's wrong either. No codes. Car drives fine and FEELS faster. No flat spots or drivability problems. So for a mostly stock car like mine the LT's did nothing. Like i said don't forget I installed an electric waterpump at the same time. Yea I still like the car, but I don't like making a major mod like that and having the car pick up nothing. So since about October the car has been sitting in the garage, I put about 50 miles on it since then. All my money is now gonna go back into my DSM. I never got any answer why my car didn't respond to the Hooker LT's, no one one here had a clue. So its up to you...but for a mostly stock car I'd DEFINATELY get shorties.

Last edited by baron4406; 02-15-2003 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:54 AM

I'd have to point at the Flomaster for a possible reason. I know other than sound it did nothing for me at the track. Maybe toss on a cutout and see what happens. Also have you looked to see if maybe you're getting false knock?
Old 02-15-2003, 08:15 AM

Yea went thru all that stuff last year. I did the knock sensor mod already, so my PCM is seeing no knock no matter what. (I run nothing in it but 93 or 94 octane). As far as the Flowmaster, it was the only real mod I had on the car when it ran a 13.8. For a 2.73 A4 that's pretty stout. So I hardly think the Flowmaster is killing me..............but I do recall now that several people wanted me to try a cutout. Its a cheap mod so i'll throw one in before the racing season opens here. I actually had a kinda wild idea, I could just run dump tubes with an X-pipe and exit them just before the rear wheels. However that won't pass PA inspection, so I'd have to swap the other exhaust back in once a year. Kind of a PIA. But neat. As far as fabbing up exhausts, no problem for me. I have to admit tho after this Longtube install fiasco I lost interest in the car and it sat. I gained 1/2 MPH from longtubes AND a CSI waterpump............it was time for the car to be put away and find something else to play with.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:22 AM

Not to derail the thread but I've always wanted a DSM but can't get past the reliability problems
Old 02-15-2003, 08:39 AM

Reliability problems?? Um you need to know ALOT more about DSM's then. They have a few little problems, but so do F-bodies. Both are damn fun cars if you learn to deal with those little problems. Even though my Camaro is in my doghouse now, I'd still not consider selling it. Just too much fun hearing that rumble when you fire it up. Just like a Camaro.....if you begin modding a DSM and drving it hard....it will break.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:36 AM

if you gained almost nothing from a LT header install, either something is now wrong with the car (get a scantool on it) or when you ran the car the second time you were running it in worse weather. If you wanted to really compare you should have corrected both times to sea level. Thats the one thing everyone seems to forget about...
Old 02-15-2003, 09:46 AM

You have to realize I ran this car almost every weekend from May to October. I have about 50 runs with the longtubes in place, from sunny and 85 to a clear cool 50 degree night with no humidity. For soem bizarre reason this car runs as fast in 90 degree humidity as it does in 50 degree cool-probably because of my temp mods (cold air intake, TB bypass, 160 deg 'stat, CSI waterpump). Anyway I have more than enough runs in all kinds of weather to know that my LT install picked me up practically nothing. As far as something wrong with my car.......I agree something is probably fishy. But then why is it totally relaible, no hesitations or stutters, it drives perfectly smooth. If I could afford a scantool I'd certainly get one!! The car was very fast stock (not many 2.73 cars hit 13.8's stock), but doesn't seem to like mods.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:48 AM

Raises hand and also points to the flowmaster.

I also have flows, and i point some of my slow running problems to them also. (my car went 103, with m6, with the hooker LT, also running very rich but common now, not that rich!)

Since last last track season i have added a cutout, and my butt 'o' meter says it is a very solid gain in HP from by passing that POS muffler i have....Have to wait and see for track results.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:53 AM

baron4406 I also say it could be the flowmaster. They are a direct flow muffler. Stock it may have helped, but flowing much more air with the lt's, its probally holding it back. I can explain it in technical terms, but I would try a muffler with a straight through design.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:38 PM

heh.. you have a '95.. contact bryan @ pcmforless and give him $75 to tune your PCM for a nice little bolt-on tune.

I was very disappointed with my car as well, I couldn't even break 101 with the longtubes on (after the converter).. after I had Bryan work my PCM I now trap consistenly 103, and hit 104 the other day, and am now running 12.90's

I can almost guarantee you'll be happy with your car once again and put the DSM away
Old 02-15-2003, 12:39 PM

Yup I think you guys are right. I can find out VERY easily by installing a $40 cutout then running the car. If my Flowmaster is at fault, then I'm gonna fab up a true dual setup for the car. I may at first go with dumps in front of the rear axle, then use some JC Whitney 180 degree bends to fab up pipes that go over the rear axle. Now to patiently wait until this hellish winter is over. Another big storm tomorrow here. I hate winter.

Bryan at PCMforless?? Wanna hear something even more pathetic? My buddy is good freinds with him. Plus Bryan lives less than a half hour drive from me. DOH!! I keep forgetting to get him my PCM for a "tune up".

And about putting the DSM away........I see you live in Florida. If you lived here in PA you'd think twice about giving up your AWD car when it came to winter!! Trust me having my Laser does nothing to reduce my love for my Camaro. TOTALLY differant cars. Therefore they complement each other perfectly.

Last edited by baron4406; 02-15-2003 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:46 PM

Yeah that is pretty pathetic hehe... really though, get it done.. next to the converter it's the best thing I ever did for my car.

yeah i wouldn't know what it's like to drive in snow hehe...

*goes out to wash car in warm weather* lol....

Quick Reply: Gains from Longtubes on a stock motor